PvP Add-ons

90 Undead Death Knight
this thread has gone far to long without my name being mentioned, i demand you all shower me with attention at once!
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
08/11/2012 09:26 AMPosted by Metaphors
Addons are like steriods so don't use them.

If you want to be above 1800 rated i'd suggest getting addons.

You don't need addons to get higher then 1800. It helps but it only gets you so far.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
08/11/2012 01:10 PMPosted by Syntreks
You don't need addons to get higher then 1800. It helps but it only gets you so far.
scroll up this forum is about me now try to stay on topic >.>
Edited by Çréêpshøw on 8/11/2012 1:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Can't use addons in tournaments, not saying I want to get in any but I took someone's advice to learn to play without addons since you are not allowed to use them for when PvP actually counts. So far I learned if you play without addons you must always be aware to every detail because if you do not !@#$ goes downhill fast.

So back to my first post which is "Addons are like steriods so don't use them"

Don't do drugs k and play the honest way
Edited by Eternalferal on 8/12/2012 2:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Can't use addons in tournaments, not saying I want to get in any but I took someone's advice to learn to play without addons since you are not allowed to use them for when PvP actually counts. So far I learned if you play without addons you must always be aware to every detail because if you do not !@#$ goes downhill fast.

While you are not wrong in what you said, it only best applies to a very small group of top-notch players. Unless you belong to that group, I highly recommend the use of addons to help you learn awareness. It's like not using DBM in raids, it's definitely doable, but why? You made it sound like cheating while it's not.

Sure learning awareness is important in arenas, but you have to start from somewhere. Addons help you realize stuff that you would have definitely missed otherwise, unless you are already a rank-1 gladiator who doesn't miss details like that anymore. They don't use addons because they are so accustomed to the arena environment that they no longer NEED addons. Ask yourself, can you always tell when exactly an enemy used an interrupt on you or your teammates and how much time you have to free cast? Can you always tell when exactly every enemy offensive/defensive cd is back up? Can you always tell when dr's on all the different cc's in the game are down? If not, then you are not at a level to say "I don't need addons" yet.

So far I don't see anyone in this thread at that level yet, so I don't see any reason to put yourself at a disadvantage. You have to learn how to walk before you run.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
How would you know, you've never been above 1800 xD

Really has nothing to do with my personal rating. I was saying that addons don't make you that much better.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid

While you are not wrong in what you said, it only best applies to a very small group of top-notch players. Unless you belong to that group, I highly recommend the use of addons to help you learn awareness. It's like not using DBM in raids, it's definitely doable, but why? You made it sound like cheating while it's not.

Sure learning awareness is important in arenas, but you have to start from somewhere. Addons help you realize stuff that you would have definitely missed otherwise, unless you are already a rank-1 gladiator who doesn't miss details like that anymore. They don't use addons because they are so accustomed to the arena environment that they no longer NEED addons. Ask yourself, can you always tell when exactly an enemy used an interrupt on you or your teammates and how much time you have to free cast? Can you always tell when exactly every enemy offensive/defensive cd is back up? Can you always tell when dr's on all the different cc's in the game are down? If not, then you are not at a level to say "I don't need addons" yet.

So far I don't see anyone in this thread at that level yet, so I don't see any reason to put yourself at a disadvantage. You have to learn how to walk before you run.

Okay so addons are like training wheels

but I have to disagree with the idea that you can only learn to play without addons if you are rank one. Playing the game without addons or cheats is just honest play there is no illusion of depth like saying only rank one players can play like that. Playing the game the way its suppossed to be played is not putting yourself at a disadvantage.

Embracing the game's difficulty is just another way of enjoying a game.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
If you already used addons and think that you can fully grasp all the things happening in arenas without the help of the addons, then go ahead and stop using addons for the reasons you've stated, and I will admit you are a much better player than myself, where I can't judge what you do.

But If you never used addons before and you are claiming that you are aware of all the things going on already, then all I can say is you are either born as a genius and talented pvper, or you are as good as a frog living under a well thinking that the sky is as big as the mouth of the well. Only you know which group you belong, I can't judge you.

When I first started pvping, I was in denial of using addons for a long time as well, until I actually started using them. To this day I still think that I am not taking full advantage of the addons I have, and I know from every game I play that I have lots of room for improvements.

08/12/2012 04:43 PMPosted by Eternalferal
but I have to disagree with the idea that you can only learn to play without addons if you are rank one.

I believe you completely mistook what I said here. I meant that without the help of addons it will be much harder/near impossible to reach rank-1 level. I believe every single rank 1 player used addons and would continue to use them if it is not for training for tournaments.

And lastly, if Blizzard intended the default UI as the "honest" way of playing the game, they wouldn't have went through all the troubles to introduce one of the most sophisticated UI modification mechanisms out there, and they wouldn't have encouraged the use and sharing of addons in the first place. Samething apply to macros. Do you use them? How is that different from using addons? Sure you can do everything without macros, just like addons?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
If you already used addons and think that you can fully grasp all the things happening in arenas without the help of the addons, then go ahead and stop using addons for the reasons you've stated, and I will admit you are a much better player than myself, where I can't judge what you do.

But If you never used addons before and you are claiming that you are aware of all the things going on already, then all I can say is you are either born as a genius and talented pvper, or you are as good as a frog living under a well thinking that the sky is as big as the mouth of the well. Only you know which group you belong, I can't judge you.

When I first started pvping, I was in denial of using addons for a long time as well, until I actually started using them. To this day I still think that I am not taking full advantage of the addons I have, and I know from every game I play that I have lots of room for improvements.

but I have to disagree with the idea that you can only learn to play without addons if you are rank one.

I believe you completely mistook what I said here. I meant that without the help of addons it will be much harder/near impossible to reach rank-1 level. I believe every single rank 1 player used addons and would continue to use them if it is not for training for tournaments.

And lastly, if Blizzard intended the default UI as the "honest" way of playing the game, they wouldn't have went through all the troubles to introduce one of the most sophisticated UI modification mechanisms out there, and they wouldn't have encouraged the use and sharing of addons in the first place. Samething apply to macros. Do you use them? How is that different from using addons? Sure you can do everything without macros, just like addons?

I think we are both misconceiving each other. I was just joking around with my first post but yeah we can't really tell tone in text.

You are mildly right Apex and I respect your stuff.

(Personally I don't use addons because it makes me lag but I did use lightweight addons.)

Addons like
GladiatorlosSA
Omnicc
afflicted 3
Tidyplates
Reply Quote
96 Night Elf Hunter
i dont use any pvp addons and i get by just fine surrealis and forestnymph die by my hand everyday they are in tb when i am
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
08/20/2012 09:55 AMPosted by Shayme
i dont use any pvp addons and i get by just fine surrealis and forestnymph die by my hand everyday they are in tb when i am

Because jumping someone in TB is a measure of your own skill in pvp right?

(cant post on main due to the forums bug) but it doesnt invalidate my post.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
I used to use PvPlog but they haven't updated it in like forever. It was useful to me when ever I wanted to see if I ran across someone before, or picking someone out of a crowd that just ganked me. Does anybody know if there is an addon similar to PvPlog that's been updated recently?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Wow never thought this would go as far as it has! XD
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]