Going it Alone - A DK Guide to Soloing Raids

82 Goblin Shaman
On reliquary of souls i tank n spank first and third phase using frost

On the middle one I pop army as the adds die and pop gloves, pof nuke it down as soon as i take damage ams. If i drop to half hp raise dead, death pact. use next set of adds (if killed in melee range of u heal a huge amount of health) nice and simple

To be honest the toughest boss now in frost would be the illidari council those buggers do some pretty massive damage. But u should burn them fast enough for it to be a non issue.

I choose to do the place in frost, simply for the speed of it. Blood is unnecessary and really, really slow.

YES - blood is completely unnecessary in BT.

I killed IC in 21 seconds today, I forget how fast BB was but I had a whole 11 stacks of the bleed at the end...

For RoS, I go the lazy (safe) root for phase 2, auto attack, OB the shield when I have a KM proc (or DS), death strike otherwise
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
This was buried too far down. Requested sticky.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Just killed Toravon with only my Bone Shield and Horn but just about died. Another 2 - 5 seconds and those stacks were going to destroy me. Popped Army at the beginning, put diseases on him, and just attacked like you wouldn't believe! Needless to say... I probably won't do that again lol.
Reply Quote
68 Night Elf Rogue
I need this on top.

/stickme
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
If i went to blood spec wearing my ilvl 490 dps gear.. would that suffice? or should i go have dps gear/half tank gear? my tank set is like ilvl480.. some pieces are good some are meh.

Could I solo some of Firelands?

Ulduar can be done up to the boat.. the requires two people.

What about BWD/BoTwillight --> How hard are those to solo? What if its not on heroic? then easily soloable or wht?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
sticky-tastic
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
This really should be a sticky.

Great job to the OP and thanks a lot. It made life a lot more bearable.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Thank you guys so much for your support. I've added two more bosses I managed to take down in BWD. I have three kills in BoT, just need to write it up.

02/13/2013 10:02 AMPosted by Graveclaw
If i went to blood spec wearing my ilvl 490 dps gear.. would that suffice? or should i go have dps gear/half tank gear? my tank set is like ilvl480.. some pieces are good some are meh.

The way they've changed tanking gear this expansion, you want mostly DPS gear most of the time anyway. Hit and expertise caps are essential when soloing; a missed hit is a big deal, when you're the one doing 100% of the damage. That said, mastery gear is usually the most important thing you'll find. Blood shield is what makes most of my kills possible.

Could I solo some of Firelands?

I haven't done it (yet!) but I know for a fact it's doable.

Ulduar can be done up to the boat.. the requires two people.

I think you mean ICC, not ulduar. And they changed the gunship battle to be soloable.

What about BWD/BoTwillight

I've got 3 bosses down in both BWD and BoT. I don't think Cho is soloable, but I know the rest of BWD can be done.

Keep it going guys! The expansion is still young. Once we get some REAL raid gear, soloing is going to take off again.
Reply Quote
88 Orc Death Knight
This is an excellent topic, Gormokk (aka Gruklaar). This is the sort of stuff that, in some cases, would simply not be possible on my rogue. Thanks for putting this topic together and keeping it updated. It's useful and inspirational.

I decided to take a break from PVP so I can use the time to focus on solo PVE. That's where this new DK comes in. This topic helped cement my decision.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
02/14/2013 03:58 PMPosted by Gruklaar
The way they've changed tanking gear this expansion, you want mostly DPS gear most of the time anyway. Hit and expertise caps are essential when soloing; a missed hit is a big deal, when you're the one doing 100% of the damage. That said, mastery gear is usually the most important thing you'll find. Blood shield is what makes most of my kills possible.

Thanks for the responses and info by the way. So your saying: Wear DPS gear, just make sure you hit the 7.5% hit and exp cap.

Okay once that is done.. for DPS.. we usually stray from Mastery and go into Haste.

When soloing.. I should respec from Haste into Mastery on my dps gear?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
02/15/2013 07:50 AMPosted by Graveclaw
When soloing.. I should respec from Haste into Mastery on my dps gear?

Unless you're super cereal about it, I wouldn't.

Personally, I go into any given raid fight with whatever gear I happen to have on. I try it a few times and see how it feels. If I get it down, great. If not, I make adjustments.

I suggest the same for yourself. Don't make a bunch of changes until you go in and try the fight. I don't know your gear level, your playstyle, etc. What works for me may not work for you.

The only fight I can think of where I absolutely spent every effort squeezing more mastery into myself was 25 man beasts of northrend. Most fights consist more of knowing how to use your abilities, and less about your gear.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I've got 3 bosses down in both BWD and BoT. I don't think Cho is soloable, but I know the rest of BWD can be done.

Keep it going guys! The expansion is still young. Once we get some REAL raid gear, soloing is going to take off again.

Hey jw did you solo Halfus, Valiona and Therlion then too? jw what ilvl you had and which talents/glyphs you used for them. I'm stuck on Halfus :(

Oh and speaking of BWD how was Omnotron Defense System?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Hey jw did you solo Halfus, Valiona and Therlion then too? jw what ilvl you had and which talents/glyphs you used for them. I'm stuck on Halfus :(

Oh and speaking of BWD how was Omnotron Defense System?

I did solo Halfus, Valiona and Therlion as well. My ilevel was about 480 (maybe a bit lower), with 148% mastery unbuffed.

Talents were: Roiling Blood, Lichborne, Death's Advance, Death Pact, Runic Corruption, Remorseless Winter.

Glyphs were: Vampiric Blood, Icy touch, Dark Succor, Horn of Winter, Path of Frost, and Corpse explosion.

I'll be adding the BoT guide soon. Halfus can't be done unless one of the dragons specifically (the one that gives you a 90% mortal strike) is asleep.

Omnotron Defence System (see page 7) wasn't that hard. It requires concentration, but mostly it just involves moving out of bad stuff.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I did solo Halfus, Valiona and Therlion as well. My ilevel was about 480 (maybe a bit lower), with 148% mastery unbuffed.

Talents were: Roiling Blood, Lichborne, Death's Advance, Death Pact, Runic Corruption, Remorseless Winter.

Glyphs were: Vampiric Blood, Icy touch, Dark Succor, Horn of Winter, Path of Frost, and Corpse explosion.

I'll be adding the BoT guide soon. Halfus can't be done unless one of the dragons specifically (the one that gives you a 90% mortal strike) is asleep.

Omnotron Defence System (see page 7) wasn't that hard. It requires concentration, but mostly it just involves moving out of bad stuff.

Ahh awesome, ty so much for the info. Definitely have to try again once a switch my talents and glyphs around and maybe once I gear this char out a bit more. Great thread you got going here too btw :D
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
This guide is amazing, really should be a sticky for us already. Thanks for putting it together!
Reply Quote
Everyone hit that request sticky button!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Anyone solo Yogg-10 lately? I'm having a terrible time with it. ( even with 4 keepers helping ) Following fights mechanics i am still getting sanity blasted away and getting chained stunned and tentacled in phase 2
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
02/26/2013 04:04 PMPosted by Alkamax
Anyone solo Yogg-10 lately? I'm having a terrible time with it. ( even with 4 keepers helping ) Following fights mechanics i am still getting sanity blasted away and getting chained stunned and tentacled in phase 2

I plan on doing it on Saturday, if RL works out anyway. Wanted to before, but some guys wanted to do a speed run, so we did that instead.

*Real life didn't work out. Maybe this weekend. Also bumping.
Edited by Cyclosarin on 3/7/2013 11:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Incredibly inspiring. I've read the first page, word for word and it's great. I began soloing after maxing LFR and VP this past week and found it more enjoyable than the rest of the game :)

At L90 I found most of BT and Sunwell trivial, Maly10 was easy once I stuck to 1123 but Ruby Sanctum made me crazy until I figured out what Halion was doing. Now I'm most of the way through Ulduar with Thorim, Mimiron, Vezax and Yogg-Saron to go. I'm as far from pro as one can get, but this is a BLAST. Keep up the good work man, you should have a website with all of this stuff on it!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
holy

wall

of

text.....................................
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]