Going it Alone - A DK Guide to Soloing Raids

90 Tauren Death Knight
Thank you for posting this! I have just recently started doing some decent solos on my DK this past week and I am having a blast with it.

I am still very under geared, so a lot of fights are just not doable right now for me. I was able to down some Nax bosses, and other BC raids. I am only sitting on a 381 item lv and that is all tanking gear. I do not have much dps gear yet to swap in or out; only a few pieces.

I am going to pick back up on Nax tonight and see if I can use your strats to get some more boss kills in. SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! don't let them know how much gold each boss drops!!! They will nerf it if we brag...
Reply Quote
85 Troll Death Knight
Eye of Eternity 10 man

Gold Earned: 160 gold

Phase 1: Pull her to the middle of the room when you engage. She will periodically summon sparks from around the room, that will float to her. It's very important that you kill these before they reach her. When they reach her, she does 50% more damage to you. If you can kill them, they drop a ground effect that you can stand in, that allows you to do 50% more damage to her. Considering the tight enrage timer, this is key. Note that if you can kill a spark on top of the ground effect from a previous spark, they stack, for 100% increased damage. If you can manage to pull this off, pop a potion and empowered rune weapon to pump out as much damage as possible.

Every now and then she will do a vortex, pulling you up into the air. No real damage happens. After the first vortex, pop your army and go to town.

Malygos is a GUY. ><
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
Here is how I farm the phoenix mount.

All inside the room, normal dps gear, no special luck from RNG needed. Just pace yourself, smooth and smart.

http://youtu.be/M1j9cUNfXbg

Edit, you can navigate from that video to my Malygos video if you're looking for another example of a way to do Maly. I was using 11111 2 - 33333 4 in the video, slow and steady. If you're having trouble with 1 1 2 3self, 1 1 2 3self then try what I did in the video though 1123 will stack the debuff much faster and end the fight quicker.

If you don't have old DBM then I highly suggest you get it. Watch for when he throws the ball at you and move before it gets to you. (Q or E should work unless you unbound them.)
Edited by Judson on 7/11/2012 2:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
This thread is awesome. All I have to add is, "Why isn't this stickied yet?"
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Death Knight
Didn't get a chance to check the forums or play wow for a while.

About Kael'thas,
You do not need to be lucky with rng to beat the fight.Strategy will greatly change the fight difficulty.In my first post I didn't explain why I did the fight like that and was expecting everyone to blindly copy me and enjoy the fruit, which was not a right thing to do.

Now I'll explain the reason of the positioning and kill order in p3

I have soloed the fight many times. Tried many starts.But I found that start easiest.Trying to kill the mage first will make the fight harder.

Everyone kill/ try to kill the mage first.And for good reason.Conflagration is deadly.But with a smart trick you can totally avoid conflagration.Which makes the mage pretty much harmless.

If you stay behind Kt's big statue,like me in that video.The mage WILL NOT be able to cast conflagration on you!!!She can only use fireball.You can't get knocked back by the Axe dude if you position yourself nicely.Now kill the Axe dude.Now most of the damage intake is gone.Kill the engineer next.Reposition yourself after fears.Fear dude is harmless who will not do any damage and will always feed you DS,Kill him last.

In P4 now you can have bloodworms,tentacles ghouls.Boss will NOT MC you.In p5 stay away from the boss,when he is casting nether beam,you can dps him a bit with AMS though.

Not explaining P1,P2 and p4 strat.But make sure you position the Axe dude before killing him in p1.

Good luck.
Edited by Deathshatil on 7/12/2012 2:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
Like it. I've been collecting tank gear on my DK. I'll try soloing in tank gear in UH first to see how it goes. Also "stickie".
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Eye of Eternity 10 man

Gold Earned: 160 gold

Phase 1: Pull her to the middle of the room when you engage. She will periodically summon sparks from around the room, that will float to her. It's very important that you kill these before they reach her. When they reach her, she does 50% more damage to you. If you can kill them, they drop a ground effect that you can stand in, that allows you to do 50% more damage to her. Considering the tight enrage timer, this is key. Note that if you can kill a spark on top of the ground effect from a previous spark, they stack, for 100% increased damage. If you can manage to pull this off, pop a potion and empowered rune weapon to pump out as much damage as possible.

Every now and then she will do a vortex, pulling you up into the air. No real damage happens. After the first vortex, pop your army and go to town.

Malygos is a GUY. ><

lol yea maly is a dude, turn your sound on and just listen to his voice
Edited by Grøve on 7/14/2012 10:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
99 Blood Elf Death Knight
Thx u so much! I'm working on lvling so I can solo the vault and get reins of the grand black war mammoth!!!! So excited
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Okay! I made my first round of changes, and I really appreciate all the input so far.

Phymatic: I added the quarter names ahead of each group of Naxx bosses, to make it easier to find the boss you're looking for.

Niernen: Great info on killing Anub without swapping out a glyph.

Manarri: Thanks for reminding me! For some reason I mentally associate all the dragons in WoW with the fairer sex. I'm not sure why. I fixed that up.

There's a lot more information I need to add (especially about doing KT faster), but it will have to wait.

Oh! And I found a video of someone soloing BWL. I'm trying to repeat the feat to add to the guide. No luck so far!
Reply Quote
62 Human Death Knight
Thank you for this guide, Gruklaar.
Edited by Irmdk on 7/22/2012 5:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Wow, this is awesome! Thanks for putting so much effort into this guide! I've done some soloing, but never really tried anything super hard (1st boss in ICC is about as far as I've gone). This will come in handy =D
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Not stickying this guide is a crime.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
wait there's a strats to soloing !@#$ as a dk?

well this is news to me because i just go blood with dps gear and %^-* dies and i still live easy
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Death Knight

well this is news to me because i just go blood with dps gear and %^-* dies and i still live easy

Some fights require tricks or strategies. Good examples of this are Thorim or Toravon, who both require on-use speed abilities to solo. Without overgearing content you also need some strategy, such as Kael'thas. Another few examples that require strategy are Naj and LK, who both require you to open with ghouls so you aren't top threat until an ability is used.
Reply Quote
58 Troll Death Knight

GLHF wiht Kael'Thas and Lich King bro.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
07/23/2012 01:34 AMPosted by Jäckßäuer

why would i want to solo a bosses for !@#$ looking loot that i already have?
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
07/23/2012 02:22 AMPosted by Abominatìon

If you think soloing is about the loot you are missing the point.
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Death Knight
07/23/2012 02:22 AMPosted by Abominatìon

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/illidan/Abominat%C3%ACon/mount#status=not-collected&mode=flying

You don't have Ashes.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Great guide, ty for posting. Since Mists is close I can't wait to see how much easier some of these will be. HP pools over half a mill? Yes please.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
I was able to solo most of Nax10 using this guide. I do not have any reg DS gear on this DK at all; nor have I been able to sneak into a guild run yet.

KT was a very fun solo.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]