Going it Alone - A DK Guide to Soloing Raids

90 Orc Warrior
07/23/2012 02:22 AMPosted by Abominatìon
why would i want to solo a bosses for !@#$ looking loot that i already have?

This is a good question, and one I tried to answer in the guide proper. Why do I do it? Why should you?

It's not really about the gear, or the gold, or the mounts. Okay, it's sort of about the mounts. But mostly it's about doing something that only a tiny sliver of the game's population will ever do. How many people in the game can say they've completed AQ40? How many people can say they've killed C'thun SOLO? Not many, I bet.
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Death Knight
Tag for later
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Wow very impressive guide! Always wanted to solo The Eye (KT), furthest I got was 3rd phase than it was a mess! Requested for sticky and I'm hoping everyone will do the same! Thank you so much! You've just gave me motivation to leave org!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
I am attempting to do ICC 10 man solo this week. As was mentioned earlier marrowgar was a walk in the park (free JP also for the weekly quest in Dal)

I am having a lot of trouble with the next boss LDW. How do you deal with all the adds as well as interrupts to keep from getting the 15 sec CD debuff? Those adds tore me apart!

I am afraid that I need to get more gear for it, anyone have other input?

I might go back and get some VoA bosses done and go back for Ulduar bosses this week. IDK yet...

I am up to spider wing and plague wing, 2 bosses in Construct, Sarth + KT done in Nax10 thanks to this guide. REQUEST FOR STICKIES PLZ!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
For LDW, just kill the casters before they get a chance to cast and you won't have to worry about the debuff. Works on heroic too. As for soloing ICC, you will need a 2nd player to kill gunship. And you'll need a healer for Valithria. Festergut is technically doable, but it's an insane dps race that few DKs can pull off.

I also noticed there is no guide for ToC10, so here it goes:
Northrend Beasts:
  • Gormok the Impaler: This is a dps check, as well as a survival check. Kill him before you get too many stacks of Impale. Stay out of fire and ignore the adds until he dies. Once he dies, kill the adds (the one on your head can only be hit by autoattacks, you likely won't get him down just yet)
  • Dreadscale and Acidmaw: You probably still have an add or 2 up from Gormok, ignore the adds now and focus on Dreadscale. AMS is a no-no until you get Burning Bile, once you get Burning Bile switch to Acidmaw and kill. Whenever they submerge, you will need to switch to Dreadscale until you get Burning Bile again. However, Acidmaw must die first.
  • Icehowl: Piece of cake. Tank him with you back to a wall. Whenever he runs to the middle, be ready to dodge his charge (run parallel to the wall away from where you were standing) since it is a one-shot if he hits you.
  • Jaraxxus: Just dps him down, nothing special. If you start to get too many adds, switch and kill them as needed. Interrupt his casts if you think it hurts.
    Faction Champions: Simple PvP fight, target a healer and keep it interrupted/silenced and burst it down (wait until their Bloodlust/Heroism wears off to pop your CDs). Target the other healer and kill it too. Pick off whatever remains. If you don't have the burst, just hang tight - they will go oom after an hour or 2. Necrotic Strike is marginally useful.
    Twin Valkyrs: Pick an orb to get the swirls under your feet and burn the Valkyr of the opposite color. If the Valkyr that matches your color starts to do something, click on the portal to change colors and target the twin that's doing something, interrupt it if/when possible.
    Anub'Arak: Hard dps race/survival check. Hit an ice sphere to make an ice patch. Tank Anub on the ice patch. When an add appears, let it run to you and tank it on the ice patch. Kill it asap. Do the same with the 2nd. When Anub submerges, stay away from the beetles as much as possible (if they get close, kill them asap - you don't want stacks). Shoot down a couple more ice spheres and kite the giant trail of spikes into the ice patches. When Anub reemerges, pop AMS and AoE the remaining beetles before AMS wears off. Repeat everything. When Anub gets below 35% health, you health is going to drop too - don't panic. Just burn any remaining adds and focus him down.
    Reply Quote
    90 Tauren Death Knight
    I tried to do TOC 10 man and I am not sure this is something I can do until I get better gear. The first small add that comes out lands on me. Then I am unable to attack it to get it off. The other adds hit the floor and bounce back onto the boss as they do not have anyone to latch onto.

The stun that the adds can do makes for a very hard time. Is there a way to avoid getting an add on you at all?

Faction Champions: Simple PvP fight, target a healer and keep it interrupted/silenced and burst it down (wait until their Bloodlust/Heroism wears off to pop your CDs). Target the other healer and kill it too. Pick off whatever remains. If you don't have the burst, just hang tight - they will go oom after an hour or 2. Necrotic Strike is marginally useful.

This scares me! oom after 2 hrs? IDK if i want to fight that long >.<
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Death Knight
    How does a Death Knight fare when soloing Black Temple?
    Reply Quote
    90 Tauren Death Knight
    The only thing that makes BT solo imposable is the face boss (i can't remember the name). Basically on the 2nd phase not only does it spam a disorient move on you but you take damage equal to the damage you deal to the boss.

With the healing buff you get you might... maybe... idk probably... be able to death strike heal through it. The rest is easy solo, I have done some of it on my rogue.
    Reply Quote
    90 Gnome Death Knight
    I tried to do TOC 10 man and I am not sure this is something I can do until I get better gear. The first small add that comes out lands on me. Then I am unable to attack it to get it off. The other adds hit the floor and bounce back onto the boss as they do not have anyone to latch onto.

The stun that the adds can do makes for a very hard time. Is there a way to avoid getting an add on you at all?
    No. You will get an add on your head. Ignore it until you kill Gormok. The only way to attack it is with autoattacks. As stated in the guide, you will likely have it still on you when fighting the worms. Just make sure it dies before Icehowl comes out.

07/31/2012 09:41 AMPosted by Darksehb
    The only thing that makes BT solo imposable is the face boss (i can't remember the name)
    Reliquary of Souls. It it soloable, but you will need to be unholy as you need the permanent ghoul. The disorient can be LoS'ed so if you tell your ghould to stay at the bottom of the stairs while you stand around the corner at the top you will have time to DS the trash respawns to stay alive and AMS every so often to get some dps on the boss (the disorient can also be interrupted, giving you a couple more seconds to beat on him)
    Reply Quote
    90 Night Elf Death Knight
    Something I noticed for your XT strategy:

For the adds that run to XT, kill the bomb bots. Their explosion will kill off the scrap bots.
    Reply Quote
    85 Orc Death Knight
    The only thing that makes BT solo imposable is the face boss (i can't remember the name)

Reliquary of Souls. It it soloable, but you will need to be unholy as you need the permanent ghoul. The disorient can be LoS'ed so if you tell your ghould to stay at the bottom of the stairs while you stand around the corner at the top you will have time to DS the trash respawns to stay alive and AMS every so often to get some dps on the boss (the disorient can also be interrupted, giving you a couple more seconds to beat on him)

How the heck do you solo the first boss?
    Reply Quote
    86 Night Elf Death Knight

How the heck do you solo the first boss?

Open with aotd, pick up the spear he throws at you since your army will be tanking. do the same with ghoul, you have two spears. Then start dpsing.
    Reply Quote
    87 Blood Elf Death Knight
    Going to attempt to solo some bosses (have done a few before but want to really get into now), thanks for the guide :D

Unfortunate their making it MoP where it's not as worthwhile to solo, at least not for the gold anyways.
    Reply Quote
    58 Troll Death Knight
    Blizzard would do something like that.
    Reply Quote
    90 Goblin Death Knight
    Awesome guide. Sticky requested. Considering it's the DK forums and we get these questions often, it'd be worth a sticky.
    Reply Quote
    90 Orc Warrior
    Something I noticed for your XT strategy:

For the adds that run to XT, kill the bomb bots. Their explosion will kill off the scrap bots.

This is a great bit of information! I've added it to the main post. :)
    Reply Quote
    90 Orc Warrior
    Battle for Mount Hyjal - 1300 gold

This is not a hard raid, at all. I was hesitant to try it, because I've heard it was a nightmare when it was content, but it's really not that bad. Just time consuming.

Trash Mobs

The majority of the raid is dealing with adds. For each boss, there are 8 waves of 10 to 18 varied mobs. The majority of the mobs are harmless, not doing much damage and not giving status effects. I will touch base regarding a few of them.

Abominations: They do a 2 second knockdown, relatively randomly. I usually target them first because it's annoying. These spawn in both camps.

Gargoyles: These spawn up in the air, out of melee range. You can hit them with icy touch and death coil, and get aggro on them. You can also death grip them out of the air. What you want to do is get aggro on all of them, then run away. They will chase you, but move towards the ground as they do. Once they're on the ground, mop them up. These only spawn in the second camp, for waves 2, 4, 6, and 7 for Kaz'Rogal, and wave 2 for Azgalor.

Frostwyrms. Like gargoyles, hit them while they're in the air, then run away, then run back. Note that their hitbox is huge, and you can melee strike them when they're only halfway landed. These spawn for waves 6 and 7 for Kaz'Rogal, and wave 2 for Azgalor.

NPCs

At the alliance and horde camps there are various NPCs strewn about. You don't need them for anything, but if you want to speed things up a bit you can kite trash/bosses through them. The NPCs will then attack your enemies. If they die, they respawn after you kill the first boss for each camp (Rage Winterchill and Kaz'Rogal).

Alliance Camp

Rage Winterchill

The first boss, funnily enough, is the most challenging. He has three moves you need to concern yourself about. The first is a frost bolt, that targets a random person and stuns them for four seconds. You want to make sure you pull as many adds into the fight as possible, so they get hit with this, not ure. The second is frots nova, which sticks you to the ground for 9 seconds. The third is Death and Decay. This does damage based on your total health, which means it CAN and WILL kill you if you stand in it. When the boss uses death and decay (it's channelled), run away. The edge of it is way bigger than the animation suggests, so get a good 60 yards of distance. Anti-Magic shell reduces the damage considerably, so use it when available.

Anethern

Not much to worry about on this fight. His carrion wave doesn't do much damage. He leeches health, throughout the fight, healing him. You can use necrotic strike to absorb this healing, but frankly it's not worth the rune, just dps through it. When he summons an infernal, switch to it and kill it. Not very dangerous.

Horde Camp

Kaz'Rogal

The third boss uses a cripple on you that is undispellable, and reduces your damage significantly. Use this time to heal up and save your rune for when it falls off. His warstomp comes out randomly and is a 4 second stun. You can icebound fortitude to cancel it. Lastly he puts a mark on someone, but I don't think it targets the tank, and I'm not sure what it does. I kept NPCs in the fight just to be safe.

Azgalor

The fourth boss is the easiest, as I didn't notice him to do anything at all dangerous. He casts rain of fire on occassion, but I ignored it. Straight tank 'n' spank.

Night Elf Camp

Archimonde

The final boss is something to be aware of, simply because you have no NPCs to back you up. He will use a fear, which is casted, so you can either put up anti-magic shell during the cast to avoid it, or use lichborne after it lands to cancel it. He puts a dot on you that does an obsene amount of damage, but the damage is spread out over 5 minutes, so you won't even notice it. Bring a potion of purification if you want to get rid of it after the fight is over. Oh, and don't stand in the fire. There's a lot of it!

Fear: Lichborne or AMS
    Fire: Don'ot stand in it.
    Grip of the Legion: Not worth bothering with.,
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Death Knight
    bump
    Reply Quote
    90 Worgen Death Knight
    This thread made me want to go solo Naxx. I cleared half very easily, plan to tackle the other half soon. I will be trying other raids thanks to this writeup.
    Thanks for taking the time to writeup and attempt these!
    Reply Quote
    90 Draenei Death Knight
    I noticed in ulduar you're missing several bosses. Algalon is currently the only boss that can't be soloed in Ulduar by Death Knights (till we can out dps his phase punch or find a gimmick around it).

Freya can be done with none or all of the elders up. Kill the adds that spawn using ams for the smaller exploding adds as you kill them off (if you're worried about damage). For the pack of three, you need to kill them all about the same time or else they started rezzing eachother. For the large add you just kill under a shroom and you even get a small damage bonus to boot. If you're out of a shroom you can't do anything at all, you're pacified. Kill adds till her healing is mostly negated and go to town on her while killing Lifebinder's gift through the entire fight and avoiding the exploding roots she'll put around after the last set of adds is spawned.

Thorim require engineering and a speed pot. You'll also always engage him on hard mode anytime you solo him. There's a little bit of a trick to doing it though and it takes some time to do this just right. Full dps gear is reccomended otherwise you can't outdps the soft enrage (stacking buff on thorim). Notably, the trinket from Yor'sahj (stam trink w/ mastery proc) may be useful for the mastery proc in helping you survive a bit longer.

1) Go into the room, kill all the adds except the captain. Once everything is dead except the captain, run down the ramp and get just to where you can push the lever. Kill the captain and immediately start using the lever.
    2) Once the hallway opens up start running in. Your goal is simply to aggro the first miniboss and run out. I hit rocket belt as soon as I'm about to come up to the first set of adds, get close enough to the miniboss to deathgrip/taunt it and turn around and run back. As soon as my rocket belt is gone I use my swiftness potion to get me the rest of the way (otherwise thorim will most likely wipe you from the lightning ball in the hallway).
    3) At this point you're now back in the arena, have a miniboss following you, and your rocket belt didn't malfunction and wipe you (had it happen 5 times in a row once ~_~). Now you're going to sit close to the hallway entrance and when the enrage hits about 4(or was it 5? which ever minute it was) minutes and 5-10 seconds left you wanna drop a Death and Decay where the ACOLYTE (Underlined for importance) will respawn because the fight has, in essence, reset with the exception of the miniboss you have tickling you. Be warned he has a knockback that might screw up your timing, adjust as necessary. Move into the hallway once DnD is dropped.
    4) So long as you're in before the gate closes you should have several mobs coming after you. Run around the corner so ranged mobs are LoSed and they'll come running after you. Kill everything (miniboss included) except for the Captain again. You're going to leave this guy up until just before you engage Thorim. Proceed through the gauntlet, kill the second miniboss, and get on the side of the wall and go to the middle of the second circle but don't pull Thorim yet.
    5) To recap where we are: You've gotten through the gauntlet with both adds dead, you've got an angry captain tickling you with his metal stick and occasionally stunning you with his turtle shell he calls a shield. You're sitting aprox 50 yards from the boss and haven't pull him yet. I reccomend you wait for your rocket belt to be back up, but its not 100% required, just gives you time to army w/o losing dps time on Thorim. Kill the captain, Thorim begins his monologue. This is very imporante Do not attack or go near Thorim until he becomes targetable (as in the little sword pointer appears over him). If you go too early, he jumps into the arena invincible and its a wipe. Once you can target him, get closer to him (about 10-15 yards) and hit him with pestilence or something to get rolling on dps.
    6) Now for the fun: Pew pew as hard as you can while rotating cooldowns to keep your blood shield at max power. At about 50% (if your dps is decent) you'll start to notice that your blood shield is really starting to fall behind thanks to the unbalancing strikes and his buff he gets. If you get to 20% or so with IBF still up you'll probably get the kill unless your dps is really slow. Make sure you're using your small cooldowns effectively and burn burn burn. Don't let your ghoul go to waste without using it as a sacrifice for hitpoints at a later time. I usually save him for about 50% so that I can get the full duration while having a pocket heal ready at the end of its lifespan. Don't panic and blow your big cooldowns early, if you have no big cooldowns towards the end you're going to die. Make sure you save empower rune weapon for use towards the end along with Vampiric blood.
    Pew pew hard, avoid bad stuff and AMS what you can and you should be on your way to a Thorim kill.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]