Introducing the Guild Mentoring Program

(Sticky)

Community Manager
Azeroth needs more heroes to rise through the ranks and your guild can help. We’re looking for a few good guilds to volunteer for the new Guild Mentoring Program. Guilds participating in the program will take part in identifying new players within selected realms, offering to invite them into the guild, and teaching them the ways of Azeroth as they level and reach the end game content.

F.A.Q.

Q. What is the Guild Mentoring Program?
A. The guild mentoring program identifies guilds on select realms to act as mentors for new and low level players (below level 85).

Q. How long does the Guild Mentoring Program run for?
A. The Guild Mentoring Program will run for a period of four months from the time that guilds are selected and notified.

Q. Is there a certain criteria for being selected as a mentoring guild?
A. Guilds must meet certain criteria to be considered for the Guild Mentoring Program:

• Guilds must be located on one of the selected realms.
  • They must be willing to commit to the program for a four month period.
  • They must be willing to change their name for the four month Guild Mentoring participation period. (Names will be changed back at the end of the program.)
  • Guilds must be at least level 6 and have an active membership.

Q. How many guilds will be recruiting per realm?
A. Only one guild will be selected per faction on each realm.

Q. What does my guild need to do to volunteer?
A. The guild leader will need to submit an application to wowguilds@blizzard.com with the following information:

• Current guild name and guild leader name
  • Current realm and faction of the applying guild
  • Current guild level and number of guild members
  • Guild leader’s real name and phone number (this information will not be published and is for internal use only)
  • Brief description of the Mentoring Guild

Q. How long are you accepting applications for?
A. We will be accepting applications for two weeks. We will then select a guild for the Guild Mentoring Program from those that meet the criteria and contact the guild leader.

Q. On what realms will this program be available?
A. Mentoring guilds will be chosen for the following realms:

US Realms
Aggramar
Azuremyst
Blackhand
Cenarius
Dalaran
Doomhammer
Garona
Garrosh
Ravencrest
Sen'jin
Shu'halo
Ysera

Oceanic Realms
Dath'Remar
Saurfang

Q. Do participating guilds get anything special?
A. Some of the benefits for taking part in the program include:

• MVP status on the forums for the guild leader and recruitment officer
  • Guild member private forum access
  • Recognition for your guild as being participants in the program

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/6646217/
Edited by Nethaera on 7/10/2012 2:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I'm curious, Kaivax. Why did Blizzard pick such a dead realm for this program? Or is the idea that you would have potentially welcoming guilds that apply for this make it a safer place for new players?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
I personally see it as something to attract some new blood to the server...of course, there'll probably be trolls that come too just to belittle the two guilds that participate in this, but maybe with some people coming here due to the program, we'll see some more activity on the server.

I wouldn't mind that, but it'll probably kick up again anyways once MoP hits and people come back from their break due to being tired of "All DS all the time"
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Unfortunately, having more low-level players doesn't solve the "dead" feeling Ysera has, unless they level in time for Mists and participate in end-game content at that point. I do see your point, however.

I just wonder if funneling new players to ghost-town servers is the best representation of the game, you know?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
One of the most pervasive issues in current WoW is discrimination toward new, or inexperienced players. Those of us who have been playing a while have all seen examples of it: the level 22 who asks in trade chat where to find his/her class trainer, and is called a noob for asking such a stupid question; or the guy who asks in raid chat what he needs to know for Morchok, because it's his first time in LFR, and he/she is promptly votekicked.

If you're a 10 year old kid who just started out in the game, without any friends to guide you, then you're really at the mercy of who your very first interactions are with. Hopefully you'll meet people who are good natured, and helpful, but in today's world, I think we can all agree that the odds are not that great. If the first person you meet when you start out calls you a noob just for asking them a simple question, how does that make you feel about continuing to play the game?

I think the goal of this mentoring system is to try to build positive experiences for new players, which they are hoping will eventually lead to a more friendly community atmosphere. You know, the whole "do unto others" adage. If you're surrounded by friendly and helpful people when you're new, then you'll theoretically be helpful and friendly to others later on when the roles are reversed.

My thoughts anyway...
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
07/10/2012 01:07 PMPosted by Brakez
If you're a 10 year old kid

Ten-year-olds aren't teenagers, and therefore shouldn't be playing a game rated T anyway.

And it's not really likely that someone is going to have a "positive experience" on a dead rock like Ysera. Just saying.
Reply Quote
Community Manager

I think the goal of this mentoring system is to try to build positive experiences for new players, which they are hoping will eventually lead to a more friendly community atmosphere. You know, the whole "do unto others" adage. If you're surrounded by friendly and helpful people when you're new, then you'll theoretically be helpful and friendly to others later on when the roles are reversed.

My thoughts anyway...

You've pretty much nailed it here. We think this has great potential and we're hoping we can find the right people to take it on. But it takes current community members to create new community members out of "newbies". Everyone was new once, but hopefully we can promote people who promote building those bridges between new players and experienced players.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I'm curious, again, why Blizzard picked these servers in particular.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
07/10/2012 02:31 PMPosted by Beefyswagz
I'm curious, again, why Blizzard picked these servers in particular.

We think that there is enough of a community to support the program and potentially gain benefit from it. We'd like to see where it goes and think we'll get some great participants.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Thank you for the answer. :D My guild is too small to really help anyone, but maybe Illuminated and others can.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warrior
I would have to say, The Clairvoyant, may be a good fit. We usually have 30-40 people online at all times and many of us are alts or people who came back late in Cataclysm. Unlike most raid guilds we still do allot of the content low level players would be interested in while at the same time are pushing into the end game content. No were not a hardcore raid guild but those guilds probably have no interest in helping less traveled players, nor have a serious place for them.

While we are more then open to helping new players learn the ropes.
Edited by Drachma on 7/11/2012 2:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
We had a few questions concerning the program that we're hoping someone can answer before we apply.

- We're most certainly going to flooded with new players, however, how does this apply against the member cap? We hover at around 480 and while I don't expect there to be 500+ new players in Ysera as a result of this program, I did want to know what we could expect should we reach the 1000 member cap.

- Similar to dealing with the general public, you're going to get some great attitudes and generally a handful of not-so-pleasant people. Our guild has a zero-tolerance policy towards poor behaviour (racism, threats, and the like) and that does extend into participating in trade chat. Our guild has core rules and guidelines set up to uphold an atmosphere of tolerance and sense of community... we have had to make tough decisions when these rules have been broken, but the question lies in how these are applied to new players we are going to mentor. Are we allowed to continue to uphold these core rules or are we expected to change them for the duration of the program? If we are expected to change them can you direct me to the core rules you're expecting us to uphold (assuming Code of Conduct violations, etc). I think a question more to the point is: can we kick out players that have a real bad attitude (ie, violating our or Blizzard's core rules)?

- How are new players going to be joining the guild? I understand there is a guild name change involved, but that didn't tell us whether we are expected to actively recruit in trade or whether Blizzard would be funnelling new players to us. I'm assuming the name change will be to something like "New Players Guild" and be listed at the top of the guild finder? Or is there another method that I'm overlooking?

<EDIT>
- We noticed a discrepancy in the program term... the original release indicated the program was to run for three months, however, the opening post says it runs for four months. I'm assuming the correct length of time is four months as it is the most recent of the posts, however, I'd like to hear back one way or the other.
</EDIT>

It's kind of wordy, I know, but these are the major questions we had as we couldn't really find any other information about the program out there. I'm hoping to see a blue response as we'd prefer to know before applying.
Edited by Headstone on 7/15/2012 8:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I truly worry about the new players in this program, though. Some kids are going to get trolled to hell. Don't even try to say it won't happen. This is Ysera.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
^i agree to that all the way Beefyswaqz
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Personally, I feel it is a great idea. This is to spark back some joy in the game. If nostalgia serves me right, I remember how epic and huge this game felt when I started out in BC. Playing with my friends made all the difference in my experience. They helped me through things, helped me in instances, told me how things worked, guided me through faux pas, the whole works really.

Having people there to guide you through the beginner process of the game really helped me out and made it stick. I learned a lot from them, and had so much fun. Those are some of my best memories. To me, the leveling process is important, you get the hang of it all, and I feel it makes better players, and even greater ones with the right guidance.

Raiding was a goal for me, I didn't understand it, but I knew it was awesome just by the looks of it all. That was a learning experience of my own, and by knowing what I was taught as I leveled, it helped me figure things out on my own, how to spec, how to gear myself, what I was doing, my role, my purpose. I think this is exactly what this game needs, some people who are passionate enough and helpful enough to teach people how to play better or just in general. Not to mention this gets rid of the "noob" problem.

All in all, I think this will be successful. New people, that new excitement reignited in some tenured players. I honestly can't wait to find out who the guilds will be. I think this is an interesting project in anycase, and I would like to see how this will effect our population as far as the type of players that will emerge from this.
Reply Quote
07/19/2012 01:30 PMPosted by Beefyswagz
I truly worry about the new players in this program, though. Some kids are going to get trolled to hell. Don't even try to say it won't happen. This is Ysera.

Yes they will, but that's life. I think overall this will be a good experience for the majority of people however.
Reply Quote
21 Human Warlock
07/24/2012 01:46 PMPosted by Lunus
Not to mention this gets rid of the "noob" problem.

Sadly, Lunus, this noob problem is our own fualt. It comes from communities that has been unwilling to forget their own pride and teach someone the things that they learned as they were going through the same things.

With that said I really do hope that this helps to bring back that community. Even if it is only a small fraction of it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]