Blizzard: Servers Like Detheroc Cost You $$

2 Blood Elf Paladin
I've seen a ton of posts about this and a bunch saying GMs said to post them, so I'll throw my hat in the ring too: Detheroc, as a server, is broken. It is dead, it is worthless, and it is costing Blizzard money in several ways.

First off, bandwidth and maintence costs. Surely transferring everyone to a new, higher population server and taking the infrastructure required to maintain this one offline has to count for something.

Second, you are losing subscribers. Two of my RL friends simply quit playing because they had invested a ton of time into their characters, and now have a hard time doing anything fun or enjoying stuff outside of raids that WoW has to offer. I also know that Detheroc is not the only server like this.

I don't see what's so hard about this. The majority of the people on the server want off it, and they don't want to pay a cost that is higher than a month of subscription to the game to do so. I've paid for this game, I had fun when the server was actually active, and now the game is no longer fun. It's nobody's fault: people stopped playing on a low population server, which made a lot of the die-hards transfer, leaving a small band of casuals that gets smaller by the day to stay on the server.

What IS your fault is the continued neglect of the people who feel the game experience is broken in a fundamental way. By virtue of the game's design, people do not like levelling. It's not nearly as long as it used to be, but nobody wants to start from scratch and spend days and weeks levelling up again and getting geared up so they can get back to the level they were at before.

The game does not function as it should. The economy is worthless, the AH is worthless, raiding with people from the server is hardly even possible, and the social aspect of the game that makes people love the game is gone.

For a company that has such a close connection with its' fanbase, it's a pity to see so many people alienated and leaving. Simply merge a bunch of servers into a medium population one, or allow free transfers off the server for a week or so. There are people that enjoy the small population, but they are in the minority and would be able to go to a different server or just stay put (in the event of a migration as opposed to a merger). Hell, even have a couple servers that are designated low-pop servers and cap them. Just don't leave the rest of us with a broken, unenjoyable game experience that comes as a result of either a blatant money-grab or complete indifference.

I stopped playing shortly after Cata came out for a variety of reasons, none of which had to do with the game - I loved it. When I left, the server still wasn't a high population server, but it was nothing like this either. You could actually sell things or buy things on the AH for a reasonable price (and that says nothing of the fact that half the stuff people need can't even be found), the chat channels were actually used, and you could PUG raids if you felt like it. That's not doable any more. I've been back for less than 3 days and I'm already bored, and I will be god damned if I have to transfer a bunch of characters I've invested my time into at $25 a pop in order to enjoy a game I've already sunk a bunch of money into in order to rectify a situation that could and should be rectified by the developers, not the wallets of the gamers.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
I feel bad you wrote all this so I will tell you that I think that is good reason.
Reply Quote
1 Undead Warrior
I've seen a ton of posts about this and a bunch saying GMs said to post them, so I'll throw my hat in the ring too: Detheroc, as a server, is broken. It is dead, it is worthless, and it is costing Blizzard money in several ways.

First off, bandwidth and maintence costs. Surely transferring everyone to a new, higher population server and taking the infrastructure required to maintain this one offline has to count for something.

Stopping you right there. The "servers" you are referring to are actually stored in 1 big server with probably 10 other realms (might be more or slightly less) so they aren't losing as much money as you think they are. In fact as long as the realms are running at 1/10th the population each then they are more than likely making money. So the bandwidth and maintenance costs you speak of here are void and mute as they don't qualify.
Reply Quote
70 Undead Rogue
Detheroc Sucks, i have all my main toons stuck on this POS server and im sick of it, if you think im paying 25 dollars per toon to transfer off, your #*%@ing crazy. i'll quit before that *^@# happens.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
Detheroc Sucks, i have all my main toons stuck on this POS server and im sick of it, if you think im paying 25 dollars per toon to transfer off, your #*%@ing crazy. i'll quit before that *^@# happens.

In the end it was easier to just xfer off for me. $15/mo to do nothing is more of a waste.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
WTT wow gold for server xfer
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]