Introducing the Guild Mentoring Program

(Sticky)

Community Manager
Azeroth needs more heroes to rise through the ranks and your guild can help. We’re looking for a few good guilds to volunteer for the new Guild Mentoring Program. Guilds participating in the program will take part in identifying new players within selected realms, offering to invite them into the guild, and teaching them the ways of Azeroth as they level and reach the end game content.

F.A.Q.

Q. What is the Guild Mentoring Program?
A. The guild mentoring program identifies guilds on select realms to act as mentors for new and low level players (below level 85).

Q. How long does the Guild Mentoring Program run for?
A. The Guild Mentoring Program will run for a period of four months from the time that guilds are selected and notified.

Q. Is there a certain criteria for being selected as a mentoring guild?
A. Guilds must meet certain criteria to be considered for the Guild Mentoring Program:

• Guilds must be located on one of the selected realms.
  • They must be willing to commit to the program for a four month period.
  • They must be willing to change their name for the four month Guild Mentoring participation period. (Names will be changed back at the end of the program.)
  • Guilds must be at least level 6 and have an active membership.

Q. How many guilds will be recruiting per realm?
A. Only one guild will be selected per faction on each realm.

Q. What does my guild need to do to volunteer?
A. The guild leader will need to submit an application to wowguilds@blizzard.com with the following information:

• Current guild name and guild leader name
  • Current realm and faction of the applying guild
  • Current guild level and number of guild members
  • Guild leader’s real name and phone number (this information will not be published and is for internal use only)
  • Brief description of the Mentoring Guild

Q. How long are you accepting applications for?
A. We will be accepting applications for two weeks. We will then select a guild for the Guild Mentoring Program from those that meet the criteria and contact the guild leader.

Q. On what realms will this program be available?
A. Mentoring guilds will be chosen for the following realms:

US Realms
Aggramar
Azuremyst
Blackhand
Cenarius
Dalaran
Doomhammer
Garona
Garrosh
Ravencrest
Sen'jin
Shu'halo
Ysera

Oceanic Realms
Dath'Remar
Saurfang

Q. Do participating guilds get anything special?
A. Some of the benefits for taking part in the program include:

• MVP status on the forums for the guild leader and recruitment officer
  • Guild member private forum access
  • Recognition for your guild as being participants in the program

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/6646217/
Edited by Nethaera on 7/10/2012 1:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Sadly horrible timing for my guild. Had to pass off leadership due to a death in the family and the person I gave it to has been offline 66 days lol. That being said next time this rolls around would love the chance to help the newer players via a mentoring guild. Good luck to the guilds that are able to do this.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
What would the guild names be changed to?
Reply Quote
Community Manager
07/10/2012 02:09 PMPosted by Zlicious
What would the guild names be changed to?

That has yet to be finalized. Don't worry though, we'll be saving the original name so it won't be lost.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
when will blizzard make a decision on who the mentoring guild after the closing date?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
I'm quite honored that Garrosh finally get's a good bit of excitement going around. But the recruitment officer = who?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I'm speaking for my officer core here. We'd like a little more logistical information about the program before applying to it.

Timing - Mists of Pandaria will be releasing soon(?). As a progression raiding guild, we'll be focusing on doing the new content. Will this program be finished before or around the time Mists releases, or will we be in the opening stretch of an expansion and have to deal with this as well as the fresh out of the gates progression.

Incentive - What exactly is in it for the guilds that are chosen for and successfully complete the program? There may be a handful of true winners that we otherwise wouldn't find without this program, but that doesn't necessarily seem worth the amount of effort that's being asked of our players.

After Program - What happens to the new players we recruit after the four months? We're not generally a socialite guild. Would we be forced to keep the players in our ranks?

Grading - How will we be "graded" at the end of the four months? Is there a certain number of people that we have to help by that time? Would there be a survey for the players we helped to fill out?

All in all this seems like a good idea, at least on paper. However these concerns are the foremost in our minds before we decide to apply.

Thanks for your time.
Reply Quote
And blizzard doesn't think their rewards are mediocre? Why not some type of new mount for the guild? additional perks? a month of free game time for the GM and officers? Frankly any one of these options sounded better then the rewards blizzard is offering
Edited by Ràzz on 7/13/2012 1:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Why is there a need to change the guild name, will it just be an additional title like "Mentor" being added. I mean for cosmetic purposes a really long guild name is not beneficial and some guild members might not be incredibly pleased with the changing of your guild name just for the sake of offering assistance to new players. I ask because our guild is considering offering our service to new members. I myself am always willing to help new players as are several members of our guild. I like the idea and would welcome any program that would positively affect our Realm that sorely needs some attention.

As the above mentioned the rewards being offered do seem a bit light especially in a guild that has 500+ members that might be impacted. A new title perhaps like "mentor" for the members of the guild that participate, feat of strength or achievement, maybe a reduced time to say 30 minutes on have group will travel to allow you to summon a new player to a different location more frequently especially given that you might have multiple new players to assist (switched off at the 4 month mark). Mentor points for all new players invited to guild that stay the entire 4 month period active, these points allowing the guild members to unlock a special item from the guild vendor such as a companion pet or improved guild tabard (one with an effect similar to the lightbringer one). An additional gold % drop for the guildbank from member questing, or even a ninth guild bank tab. Just a thought which I assume no one will even read or consider but still.

As always have fun in the World of Warcraft
Mity
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Mage
Additional gold reward? People farm noobs for cash flow enough as is. Entire guilds full of nearly a thousand people are there for one sole person to make money off of cash flow.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I made a list of possible rewards that would add an incentive to guilds to offer a program. How can you just choose one of those options and make it into a big deal without commenting on the entire post or the original post. A guild bank supports an entire guild. It costs the player themselves nothing, it is an additional percentage not a portion of their reward. In either case it is hypothetical. Come up with new suggestions yourself not just putting down the suggestions of others. The idea is to create a positive experience for everyone involved. Surely you would agree that would be beneficial.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I'd be cool with extra gold from Cash Flow, since I'm assuming we'll be required to give the people we're training access to things like guild repairs. An extra tab would be nice as well, so we could assign a tab or two for these people to utilize for whatever they need.

Unfortunately a shortened cooldown on Have Group, Will Travel won't matter for too much longer, since it's being removed in MoP (in exchange for an awful guild perk, but I digress). Maybe a way to keep HG;WT come Mists can be our reward?

I personally wouldn't be too crazy about another title, but maybe we could get an ingame "tag". Like Game Masters have <GM> before their name, maybe we could have <MVP> or something before ours? Aside from that, a mount, a companion pet, even some kind of customizable tabard would be interesting. Maybe a customizable version of the tabard that was given out during the last Anniversary celebration?

Also, having our gametime paid for for those 4 months would be a very nice gesture, considering you're asking us to do something that most wouldn't consider doing for free.
Edited by Dernn on 7/12/2012 7:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
6 Troll Mage
I feel like for our guild there is really only one major problem and that's with how the player cap is going to be dealt with. We have close to a 700 member active base, with probably around 100 toons inactive due to military or other sorts of reasons. How do we try to handle what I imagine will be a huge influx of players to the game?

And on another note....

In terms or rewards, most of you contributed to the http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4427709127 ("Does Garrosh have to be so bad .... "). I feel like getting caught up in the rewards dilutes the whole purpose of even doing something like this. We get to have the opportunity to make players better and thus the server and the community better. Perhaps something nostalgic (titles FoS tag ect), or even paid game time or improvements but it shouldn't be the reason why your wanting to participate in the event. The reward in the program I think, is making people better, which indirectly (hopefully) makes your game experience better. Yes there should be incentives, but as anyone who has ever taken an economics course knows, if you make the rewards to big, your going to have tons of people competing for the wrong reasons, and if you make the rewards to slim your not going to get very many choices at all. Blizzard has to tread a fine line with this all and personally before I make any choice about this, I'm going to want to see some of the stuff in this thread be answered much more thoroughly.

In the case of Dernn (and the officers of When in Rome) I think they present a dilemma that a lot of the guilds do have to face which is logistics. There definitely need to be tweaks to the system in order to make it work in the game and not just on paper. Timing, especially presents an issue, because nobody is going to really want to waste time racing to level 90 to help players out.

An extra tab (and maybe another guild rank for permissions and such) is really necessary in my opinion and I think things to make travel and reaching people your trying to mentor is also going to be really helpful. I was thinking about something maybe with recruit a friend where only the "mentored players" can teleport to the non mentored players, so its not being abused like HGWL will be. This could also potentially reduce the need of having to deal with any bonus's you'd give to it because it is being removed (sadly) at the end of the expac.

Apologies for the semi wall of text, hopefully its cohesive and makes sense (early in the morning here still) .
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Oh I'd certainly be happy with just having a better and more active playerbase on Garrosh, but at the same time what they're asking us to do is going to be incredibly stressful. Top end hardcore raiders and pvpers do similar things like this, except in a one on one scenario (which is easier to teach in), and charge $20+ an hour. They've also been doing it for awhile so they're a little more prepared with the challenge that'll face them. Meanwhile, we're being asked to to tutor players, on a much larger scale, with more inconvenience to us, while we're still paying for our accounts? Seems like a lot of unwarranted stress.

Of course, the rewards shouldn't be anything game breaking that gives an unfair advantage over the rest of the player base. I can see what you mean about indirectly making my game experience better, but for the most part if we want to do something we don't usually have to pug, and if we do it's possible to just muscle through it anyway (eg, ICC25 clears for Shadowmourne shards).

I dunno, I just wish they had put more thought into this, maybe sent out a few surveys or something before posting such a vague set of guidelines for the program. I think the biggest point is while the concept is good, they need to understand that by not participating, we're mostly unaffected. We'd still complete anything we really want to do. I'd still be able to help the people that come to me, and I don't have to go out of my way to hunt for new players (who, like I mentioned in the thread linked, are generally unreceptive to "elitists" like me trying to help them). Just some idea of what outcomes that benefit us would be helpful.
Edited by Dernn on 7/12/2012 10:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
6 Troll Mage
07/12/2012 10:22 AMPosted by Dernn
Oh I'd certainly be happy with just having a better and more active playerbase on Garrosh, but at the same time what they're asking us to do is going to be incredibly stressful. Top end hardcore raiders and pvpers do similar things like this, except in a one on one scenario (which is easier to teach in), and charge $20+ an hour. They've also been doing it for awhile so they're a little more prepared with the challenge that'll face them. Meanwhile, we're being asked to to tutor players, on a much larger scale, with more inconvenience to us, while we're still paying for our accounts? Seems like a lot of unwarranted stress.

I'd agree. Its a colossal inconvenience for the top end guilds where the tutor people will probably get the best results and knowledge of the game. I really don't really know what Blizzard is looking for in guilds. I think the expectations and the rewards have to vary across the guilds and how they are, because the experiences are going to be vastly different between a players. Your going to be able to explain how to play a warrior or tank better then just about everyone on this server who isn't raiding at the zenith of raiding. And that's where the problem is I guess imo. Because different players need different tutors and different experiences

07/12/2012 10:22 AMPosted by Dernn
I dunno, I just wish they had put more thought into this, maybe sent out a few surveys or something before posting such a vague set of guidelines for the program.

Agreed with completely. This looks more like a draft after a business meeting then something that is actually going to be implemented in a few weeks.
Reply Quote
I like the direction you are taking this but, i can not agree with any form of addtional currency. That would In-effectivley unbalance WoWs market to have an infrostructure of a fiscal bank. But in the case of more items to the guild i think it should be sentimental collateral. Something that tells other guilds and mainly other guildless players "Hey, we are a good guild and we have ----- to prove it" In a sense, the reward should be something to better or advance that guilds reputation. And the reward needs to be something different, unheard of and never seen before. I dont like how blizzard resells items that have already been in the game; Their black market for example, why would you resell Ashes of Alar or make a Opposite of it for the guild perk? When this reward is given, it needs to stand out and not be another recycled object, and everyone knows blizzard recycles a lot of their stuff. How many Onyxia raids are there now? And too many times do they just change the color or sattle of a mount or item and re-lable it and act like its something new. Im just asking for a little more creativity blizzard, not for you to be rip off artist.
Edited by Ràzz on 7/13/2012 1:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP status, private forum access? wow, cant wait to go on the forum with my guild so nobody but the guild members can see our GUILD CHAT. And Recognition.....Eternal glory with a bunch of jerks on my realm that i don't even know. Sounds to me blizzard you are giving things that are already obtainable. So i get to speak privately with my guild somewhere else and get to be admired by that guy with no life, and i get to spend more of my time helping some guy who doesn't know the basics, and tell my guild, that raid is going to be postponed because the new guy is having trouble with a quest in Felwood. Sounds like fun if you ask me.
Reply Quote
07/13/2012 01:55 PMPosted by Ràzz
MVP status, private forum access? wow, cant wait to go on the forum with my guild so nobody but the guild members can see our GUILD CHAT. And Recognition.....Eternal glory with a bunch of jerks on my realm that i don't even know. Sounds to me blizzard you are giving things that are already obtainable. So i get to speak privately with my guild somewhere else and get to be admired by that guy with no life, and i get to spend more of my time helping some guy who doesn't know the basics, and tell my guild, that raid is going to be postponed because the new guy is having trouble with a quest in Felwood. Sounds like fun if you ask me.

No one is making you or your guild participate. If wish to not be involved in this program don't apply.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Cant/Wont how are ya buddy!!!!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]