Will MoP scare away healers again?

65 Night Elf Priest
I lost a lot of good healer buddies when Cataclysm hit. The slow and painful levelling process that continually made your character feel worse and worse, plus all the changes to the system, plus the massive mana nerf, all caused mayhem. This isn't a discussion on whether that happened or not, cause it did (I'd list their names on here for you to armoury, but that feels like a violation of their privacy).

My question, for those who have been playing beta, is it better? Is levelling a smoother process? They managed to 'fix' (buff) cataclysm healing so that it doesn't suck (a bit too late for some)... Are the changes to mana regen invisible? Is the play style a simple nice tweak instead of a re-write? Will the average healer be able to level up to 90 and immediately queue for end game dungeons to start gearing up for raids? I.e. Can the average player heal lvl 90 dungeons successfully in greens?

Or are we in for a bumpy ride again... I'm terrified to be honest. The first tier of Cataclysm was a bad experience (because of the people that have left and not come back).
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
I'll always be here healing, no matter what!
Reply Quote
93 Blood Elf Priest
No. The system on the beta is not as forgiving as live. On live the mana poold are rediculously large and there is no consequence for overhealing. On beta the healing adds quite a few more active tools you have to manage to be successful. I agree with bliz's sentiment and i like the changes.

I am still a priest on the beta and leveled as disc. Attonement is decent for leveling. It may not be the fastest but you dont everbhave to sit to drink and if you work in your cd's and power word solace you wont need to stop for mana either. If you havent seen any of the mop raid encounters yoj should go to mmo champ and look them up. Imo they look pretty good for healers,dps and tanks.

Just to add the beginning of an expansion always seems to be hard simply due to the lack of stats available on gear. I dont think that will change.
Edited by Silencieux on 7/7/2012 8:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Just bring a dps spec for questing and leveling isn't too bad.

As far as healing it ranges from a cake walk in some of the early dungeons to a cluster of painful if your group isn't playing efficiently in the later ones. Personally the mana regen nerf feels substantial, but I'm only 88 on the beta. I would say the regen wouldn't feel so bad with higher iLvLs but with some of the dungeons scaling to what they are considering appropriate it can be dicey if you end up with bads unless you are just flat out over gearing the place.

I don't think it will be as nasty as Cata was at launch, but I may very well be wrong and it'll be awful and we'll be stuck waiting for them to retune healers over and over again.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
According to Blizzard, entry heroics are supposed to be about as difficult as the HoT heroics are (assuming you're geared enough for them).

So, some rough spots here and there, but mostly pretty quick and painless.
Reply Quote
07/07/2012 12:20 PMPosted by Paintbrush
We're never going back to Wrath healing; even DS wasn't that bad, and good riddance.

wrath tanking wasn't much better
pull half the instance, cast consecration, afk make sandwich
pull other half before boss, cast consecration, afk eat said sandwich
pull boss
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
07/07/2012 06:20 AMPosted by Amynn
The slow and painful levelling process

80-85 was the fastest expansion leveling yet. -_-

that continually made your character feel worse and worse,
While technically true, healers were hugely buffed overall in the 4.0 patch and it wasn't until level 84 that you started feeling the effects of leveling. So you had 84 of being kind of weak, and then 85 and you were done, but now fully weak. Levels 80-83 were all really easy as a healer in T10 gear.
Reply Quote
07/07/2012 08:29 AMPosted by Silencieux
No. The system on the beta is not as forgiving as live. On live the mana poold are rediculously large and there is no consequence for overhealing. On beta the healing adds quite a few more active tools you have to manage to be successful. I agree with bliz's sentiment and i like the changes.

There is always consequences for overhealing, always; large or small, it matters only in how much margin for error you have.

Overall, dungeon leveling is going to be the main factor in pain, and thus far, everything I've been hearing, and seeing, is that a simple mistake causes drastic problems and can easily oom a healer, leading to a wipe. This, in general, is Bad. Healers, to a point, are supposed to be capable of covering a groups mistakes, but currently in the Beta, that ability is limited in more ways than it was in Early Cata.

Honestly, I predict a repeat of the early Cata experience for 90%+ of all healers; there simply is no way around it without significantly changing the playerbase mean skill, which blizz doesn't seem to be willing to cater to in non healers(and to an extent, non tanks). I predict severe shortages of healers at all levels: 5 mans, raids and hardmodes....
Reply Quote
Overall, dungeon leveling is going to be the main factor in pain, and thus far, everything I've been hearing, and seeing, is that a simple mistake causes drastic problems and can easily oom a healer, leading to a wipe. This, in general, is Bad. Healers, to a point, are supposed to be capable of covering a groups mistakes, but currently in the Beta, that ability is limited in more ways than it was in Early Cata.

Honestly, I predict a repeat of the early Cata experience for 90%+ of all healers; there simply is no way around it without significantly changing the playerbase mean skill, which blizz doesn't seem to be willing to cater to in non healers(and to an extent, non tanks). I predict severe shortages of healers at all levels: 5 mans, raids and hardmodes....

ya, I was thinking of actually running thru them as TANK first, blood tanking even 'nerfed' in MoP will still be blood tanking
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I am not the best healer that there ever was. At best I am competent. I have leveled to 90 on the beta (leveled as ret - holy leveling is frustrating). I can manage the 5 mans if I play conservatively in terms of managing mana and if everyone in the group is playing reasonably* well. I also need some familiarity with the dungeons in order to perform at my best so my first couple of runs are usually a little hairy. Once I know what the damage patterns look like, it's definitely do-able.

The difficulty level feels similar to early Cata to me. If that put healers off before then likely we'll see the same drop in healer numbers we did in Cata.

* By which I mean not standing in crap for too long, interrupting 70% of the time, paying attention to mechanics, etc
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
<<Putting on Sylvia Brown wigs>>

Most healers will probably stick to healing guild runs with familiar tanks and dps. So healers in LFD will become scarce. Thats my prediction.

As for LFR, initially you will see a lot of raiding guilds coming into LFR as a group. Maybe not 25 person, but they will definitely try to stack the deck as much as possible. Partly to increase the chance of winning, and partly to make sure the run is as painless as they can make it.

<<Taking off Sylvia Brown wigs>>
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
It will be interesting to see how it is when MoP drops thats forsure.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
07/07/2012 06:26 AMPosted by Càs
I'll always be here healing, no matter what!
Reply Quote
I lost a lot of good healer buddies when Cataclysm hit. The slow and painful levelling process that continually made your character feel worse and worse, plus all the changes to the system, plus the massive mana nerf, all caused mayhem. This isn't a discussion on whether that happened or not, cause it did (I'd list their names on here for you to armoury, but that feels like a violation of their privacy).

My question, for those who have been playing beta, is it better? Is levelling a smoother process? They managed to 'fix' (buff) cataclysm healing so that it doesn't suck (a bit too late for some)... Are the changes to mana regen invisible? Is the play style a simple nice tweak instead of a re-write? Will the average healer be able to level up to 90 and immediately queue for end game dungeons to start gearing up for raids? I.e. Can the average player heal lvl 90 dungeons successfully in greens?

Or are we in for a bumpy ride again... I'm terrified to be honest. The first tier of Cataclysm was a bad experience (because of the people that have left and not come back).

I've seen a few healers leave as well. To be honest, they were never any good to begin with. It didn't take a tremendous amount of skill to be a "good healer" in wrath. The wrath healing style (playing the 2 trick pony) felt rather gratuitous.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I would say it isn't nearly as frustrating as it was in early cataclysm. There is a few things that are out of your control like the tank face pulling all the little sha guys in shado-pan monastery and you end up with everyone having that pesky debuff that isn't meant to be healed through and having a cool down on you dispel. If it was only the debuff to heal through it wouldn't be an issue but the tank has 10+ mobs beating on him and you have annoying adds shooting at you. If you manage to keep your mana up and heal through the debuffs, the group takes it as a sign that they can continue to pull like that. Then further down that guantlet there are adds that explode when they die and of course melee eat the explosion and expect you to top them off when you are running on fumes.

However, my biggest complaint with the whole leveling process is the fact that I don't get to choose my quest rewards. I may be crazy but I'm not stupid so I level as ret and that is all I am offered. If I want to see if the holy option is an upgrade, I have to respec look at the piece of gear and if it wasn't an upgrade I did it all for nothing. With the exception of monks, the other healers don't necessarily have to worry about it as their caster gear will work as healing gear while leveling.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
07/07/2012 08:32 PMPosted by Corahn
I've seen a few healers leave as well. To be honest, they were never any good to begin with. It didn't take a tremendous amount of skill to be a "good healer" in wrath. The wrath healing style (playing the 2 trick pony) felt rather gratuitous.

This is what I've seen too.

I'll never stop healing in this game. I find it too much fun, and actually, I loved the beginning of Cata. Thought it was a lot of fun.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
MOP heroics are the easiest yet. They are even easier then WOTLK heroics were at the beginning.
Reply Quote
53 Troll Hunter
There isn't the mana crunch in MoP that there was in Cata, no. So it should be alright.

Hopefully it scales better so healing won't be so spammy in tier 16 as it is in tier 13.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]