Main for MoP Help

27 Human Paladin
I am trying to choose a permanent main for MoP and for as long as i play wow. I hate tanking, but i love healing/dpsing. I love seeing huge crits and lots of little numbers. i pvp, so survivability is key. i also love healing in pvp/pve. I love having a large utility of heals to choose from and i have to think on which to think of. Most importantly it needs to be fun, take skill to play and a class i won't get bored on. Keep in mind MoP and i want this to be my absolute permanent main for as long as i play wow. This is very brief, but it's what i mostly want. i also arena. I have a few friends i can level with. So, what class is a good suggestion to have as a permanent main for now and as long as i play wow? I do kind of prefer range>melee. I am on the wire between a shaman, druid or warlock, so any suggestions between those?

Please and thank you for the help :)
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Make a balance druid.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
Having a permanent class will get boring. For a single expansion, it isn't two bad, but you should play what you find fun, not what someone else tells you is fun. Since you like to heal, I would level the 4 healing classes (5 if you can get on beta) to at least 30, to get a rough feel for the healing style. Then maybe narrow it down slightly and level the 2 best to 60 or so.

Meanwhile, priests are the "healing" class, much like warriors were traditionally the tanking class. Nice thing about priests, is that you have two healing specs to choose from. So even if you get bored with one spec, you can always switch. Discipline used to be the PvP spec for priests, and shadow priest DoTs should be fairly good for PvP, though I don't PvP, so I am guessing.

Druids probably have almost as many heals as priests, however, I am not a big fan of the HoT playstyle, so I only really liked healing at the end of WotLK, when it was Wild Growth and Rejuv spam, with no fear of running out of mana. HoTs are probably not great in PvP due to burst damage.

My first healer / raider was a paladin back in BC. Pretty much spammed flash of light. I believe they have some more healing options now, and can weave a slightly more interesting rotation, but the class is essentially the same from what I have heard. Bubble, Lay on Hands, and plate armor should be pretty nice for PvP however.

Finally, shaman. My favorite class in WotLK and most of Cata. Smaller selection of spells like paladins, but nice interaction with spells buffing other spells and proccing buffs for yet other spells. The WotLK resto shaman was essentially the model for Cata healing, making it easy to adjust. The new elemental forms in MoP make it tempting to go back, but no clue on PvP viability, and honestly, it will all change in MoP anyway.

Almost forgot monks. Haven't had any experience with them, however, they sound like a combination of shaman and feral druids, so I am definitely leveling one in the expansion.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
07/20/2012 07:59 AMPosted by Jozie
. Discipline used to be the PvP spec for priests, and shadow priest DoTs should be fairly good for PvP, though I don't PvP, so I am guessing.

Disc still is. Holy is generally laughed at in high-rated PVP. Shadow Priests are wanted currently for DOT cleaves in RBGs (same reason that Moonkin are on the wanted list for RBGs), but both (and locks) are getting hit with DOT nerfs in MOP because of it. They didn't like that DOT cleaves had become so strong. I don't know where MOP will bring them, though.

Druids probably have almost as many heals as priests, however, I am not a big fan of the HoT playstyle, so I only really liked healing at the end of WotLK, when it was Wild Growth and Rejuv spam, with no fear of running out of mana. HoTs are probably not great in PvP due to burst damage.

For main spells, they have basically equivalent toolkits at this point. Regrowth being Flash Heal, Healing Touch is Greater Heal, Wild Growth being a Prayer of Healing (except the priest version hits 5 ppl in a specific party regardless of where they are, while the druid version hits 5 random people standing together in a specific area). Penance (disc skill) and the circle thing (holy priests - forgot the name of it, cause I don't play holy) could roughly equate to Swiftmend, though SM is instant and gives Efflorescence (AOE heals) and Penance is a 3 second channel for 1 target (on a shorter CD than Swiftmend) while the Circle is just an AOE heal (probably also on an equivalent CD to Healing Rain - much shorter than Swiftmend I believe).

At the start of Cata, they were trying to make druids straight healers, but as I understand, this has changed back to them being HOT healers somewhere in the middle. (I gave up on trees about 3 weeks into cata and picked up tanking instead, so I don't have first-hand exp there.)

It used to be (pre-ToL CD) that druids would never die in PVP because the rolling HOTs + the armor of tree form (roughly the equivalent to Inner Fire of a priest, I believe) were awesome. :P The HOTs would keep them up until the bigger heal came through or let them last through a stun / interrupt. But when they took out perma-tree and nerf'ed HOTs, this became a problem for burst. Don't know what MOP will bring, but I don't see more armor, so...

Pallys are the one healer class that I've never played, so I can't comment there. :P But if you prefer ranged as a DPS MS / OS, this might not be the best class for you, since they're melee / tank / heals only. Shammy can be melee / ranged / heals, druids can be anything, and priests can be ranged or either style of healing. I know plenty of priests that go Holy / Disc as MS / OS, depending on the fight.

Finally, shaman. My favorite class in WotLK and most of Cata. Smaller selection of spells like paladins, but nice interaction with spells buffing other spells and proccing buffs for yet other spells.

I like shaman, they're my second favorite class for healing. But I really liked the HOT healing playstyle of LK and before. I couldn't get used to the early Cata druid way of healing... It just felt exactly like I was playing my Shaman or priest... lol
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
Pie
My first healer / raider was a paladin back in BC. Pretty much spammed flash of light. I believe they have some more healing options now, and can weave a slightly more interesting rotation, but the class is essentially the same from what I have heard.

There's very little about paladins of any spec now that resemble BC era. Holy Power changed a lot for Holy.
Reply Quote
If you want to PvP Resto druid is bad choice, we are currently the squishiest healer.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]