A Game of Thrones book worth all the hype?

90 Night Elf Druid
I might be in the minority here, but I found the first 3 books to be pretty good, but after that... My problem is that the plot moves glacially slow - GRRM is in desperate need of an editor to tell him to cut out all the extra crap that doesn't move the plot. "Like sands through the hourglass..." I think he might have run into a George Lucas-type problem, where either he doesn't listen to people saying there's a problem, or people (editors) are afraid to tell him there's a problem because he's GRRM so he must know what he's doing.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Hunter
It made me form an LOTR die hard fan to a GoT die hard fan
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
The first 3 were phenomenal. Even the 4th was pretty darn good. I bought A Dance With Dragons a couple weeks ago and haven't thought much of it so far. I'm only about 100 pages in though. The other books I was hooked from the beginning, so I'm a bit disappointed.

They are definitely worth reading though. solid A+ series so far

Just wait till you get further in, it gets much better especially towards the end...you'll be like oh snap...at least I felt that way.

I will say when I read Game of Thrones (Book 1) I got to a certain part and put the book down for 2 weeks I was so pissed. Really a credit to Martin for making such lovable and hated characters that you can connect with.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
The first book is good, the second is kinda meh, the third, again, is good, the fourth is..not good as people have stated, and the 5th is entertaining. I cannot agree with many people here though, as I do not think they are literary masterpieces..most certainly not on a Tolkein level. His characters are a bit flat, with nothing that really distinguishes them. I will use Robert Jordan for example. You can tell what part of the world Jordan's characters are from by their speech and personalities. Not so with Ice and Fire, they all have the same speech pattern and the same slang, and say the same things over and over and over. To me, it got kind of old.

But yeah, they are a decent read, overall.
Reply Quote
22 Undead Warlock
I don't know about 2-5, but 1... OMG, I loved that thing SO MUCH. The thing that pissed me off, though, is how they concluded Ned Stark's character development (No spoilers, but the rest of you know what I mean). DAMN. Other than that, pretty nice... though I have to admit that the accents and speech and all could be a bit more varied. The only truly distinctive speech styles are Syrio's and Drogo's. Syrio's is epic, especially.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
What do we say to the god of death?
Reply Quote
22 Undead Warlock
"Death? I cheated you once. Come at me!"

Undead joke...
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Good series. My daughter turned me on to them. Currently 160 pages or so into the fourth book.

Another series I really enjoyed was the Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny. One of my favorites.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
What do we say to the god of death?

Not today.
Reply Quote
55 Draenei Death Knight
The book is alright but grrm has probably have a bad case of writers block. I am not sure how he can finish the book anymore. I think the turning point for him was writing the red wedding...he lost a steong male lead sinxe snow is still ip north doing nothing.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

Another series I really enjoyed was the Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny. One of my favorites.

It was unfortunate that Zelazny died just as he was getting rolling on the sequal series. It had real promise.

This should be an object lesson to Martin: put the ale mug down and finish what you started.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I seem to be in the minority here.

I typically enjoy this large series with billions of characters, but half way through the second book, I set this series aside and have never had the urge to pick it up again. The first book had my attention and I felt the series showed promise, but somewhere in the second book I just completely lost interest. I can't even point to any one thing, it just cliff-dived to me.

I just recently picked this up. I've been seeing it in the stores for years, and finally decided to go with it. Enjoying it thus far.
Edited by Eisenhorne on 3/17/2013 7:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]