What's the best DPS spec for a rogue?

What is a lot of people running? What spec has the easiest rotation? What spec pulls big numbers on the DPS chart? I want to gear this toon up and I wanted the best and easiest spec that has good dps and rotation. So any experienced rogues or people that know about the class...please tell me what dps spec is the best for Heroics and raids. I would appreciate a good website that tells you the rotation, and the proper stats and gemming/enchants a rogue should have. I don't know much about rogues because I just started playing this toon recently and I'm pulling 5-6k on the dps chart. Sometimes 10k but it goes right back down to around 5k. (You can check out my armory also and give me more tips about my talent tree build and armor)

Thank you all and please help me! I'd appreciate it.
Edited by Lydie on 7/16/2012 6:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Read stickies.
tl;dr version answer is combat is your best friend, it's literally a 6 button spec that gives you carpal tunnel from mashing Sinister Strike. Just make sure you have a 2.6 mainhand with agi on it.
rotation;
http://elitistjerks.com/f78/t111329-combat_guide_cata_12_01_2011_a/#Single-Target

spec;
copy my spec for the cookie-cutter ruptureless rotation.

You could also optimize better, see stickies or read:
http://elitistjerks.com/f78/t111329-combat_guide_cata_12_01_2011_a/#Reforging__Gemming__and_Enchanting

Shadowcraft is your best friend for reforging, I recommend it over anything else.
http://shadowcraft.mmo-mumble.com/

Any other questions, just post in here.
Edited by Valentine on 7/16/2012 6:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Rogue
you should probably ask.. whats the best dps race for a rogue. :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
07/17/2012 07:30 AMPosted by Saifu
you should probably ask.. whats the best dps race for a rogue. :)

Quoted for irony.
Reply Quote
So from what people are saying, I'm guessing combat is the best? I've heard that it's a boring spec but pulls big numbers, though. I've also heard that assassination is a good spec too...with an easy rotation and does big dps as well. I don't know much about rogues, so that's why I'm trying to find out what's the best spec to go.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
This is basically it in a nutshell.

SPEC: Which one should I use?
Depends on why you're asking. :)
  • On paper, all three specs deal similar damage. The most important part of doing good DPS with a spec is playing that spec well -- if you're dealing crappy damage with your current spec, make sure you're doing it right before you switch to another one. (Our forum has stickied guides that can help!)
  • If you're questing, doing dailies or running dungeons, you'll do fine with any spec, provided you play that spec well. It's only when you get into raiding (especially heroic raiding) that differences really start to show.
  • In raids right now, Combat and Subtlety generally do the best DPS -- in fact, they’re near the top of the charts across all classes. Assassination is within 5% to 10% of those two specs; it’s closest on fights where you can mostly just sit on the boss’s butt and stab it.
  • Combat shines brightest when you need to spend a lot of time attacking the front of the boss (e.g., Ultraxion) or using Blade Flurry.
  • Subtlety shines brightest on single-target fights (e.g., Zon'ozz), fights in which survivability/mobility are critical (e.g., Morchok), and fights in which burst damage via Shadow Dance is the most important thing (e.g., Spine of Deathwing).
  • Assassination shines brightest when it's critical that you do as much damage as possible to a large group of mobs in a small area. This is thanks to the deadly combo of Fan of Knives and the spec's increased chance to apply Instant/Deadly Poison. (It's not usually relevant to Dragon Soul raid fights, though, unless the rest of your group is seriously underperforming with its AoE damage.)

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2369742267#6
Reply Quote
Read stickies.
tl;dr version answer is combat is your best friend, it's literally a 6 button spec that gives you carpal tunnel from mashing Sinister Strike. Just make sure you have a 2.6 mainhand with agi on it.
rotation;
http://elitistjerks.com/f78/t111329-combat_guide_cata_12_01_2011_a/#Single-Target

spec;
copy my spec for the cookie-cutter ruptureless rotation.

You could also optimize better, see stickies or read:
http://elitistjerks.com/f78/t111329-combat_guide_cata_12_01_2011_a/#Reforging__Gemming__and_Enchanting

Shadowcraft is your best friend for reforging, I recommend it over anything else.
http://shadowcraft.mmo-mumble.com/

Any other questions, just post in here.

I went to the websites that you suggested. And when I tried to follow the rotation, I kept doing 3k-5k...I don't know what I'm doing wrong or if I don't have the rotation right. It makes me a bit frustrated because I'm not sure what to do. Any other good websites? or can you try to tell me what to do in your own words?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
07/17/2012 04:36 PMPosted by Lydie
or can you try to tell me what to do in your own words?

For assassination PvE? I can! =D

Or rather, did.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1658707015?page=1#6

Also check the section on glyphs and get a 1.8 speed mainhand dagger.
Reply Quote
It's obviously Shadow.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
I pretend my shadow priest is an albino Tiste Andii assassin mage.
Reply Quote
or can you try to tell me what to do in your own words?

For assassination PvE? I can! =D

Or rather, did.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1658707015?page=1#6

Also check the section on glyphs and get a 1.8 speed mainhand dagger.

Do you know if noxxic.com is a pretty good site to learn the rotation? I read the guide you suggested and tried the rotation on a dummy and I'm still doing around 3k-5k, and sometimes 8k. My ilvl is around 340 so I'm thinking my lack of gear is what's making me do low dps. I just want to do good dps so I can get into heroics without getting kicked because I have in the past for doing suckish dps...and they obviously don't get it when I try to tell them I'm gearing up...but anyways, in your opinion, what's the best dps spec for heroics? I asked what was the best dps spec in trade chat on Cho'gall since my realm's like...dead :P (I see you're on Cho'gall...I go on there aswell) and people kept psting and telling me that combat's the easiest and that the rotation is simple. Just want people's perspective on it. Like I said before, I recently started playing my rogue so I'm a bit noobish to the different specs. Guess whichever spec I go, I'll just have to practice...you know what they say...practice makes perfect.
Edited by Lydie on 7/17/2012 5:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Noxxic is generally despised on these forums. The main issue with noxxic is that it's basically a site that mainly just collects information on all classes/specs from other sources and often tends to have outdated or incorrect information that they don't catch because they're not the experts who came up with it in the first place.

ElitistJerks and the stickies on this forum are going to be far better sources.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
07/17/2012 05:55 PMPosted by Lydie
Do you know if noxxic.com is a pretty good site to learn the rotation?

I haven't looked at them, I can just vouch for the guides we have here. We've spent the past... almost two years, fixing them up and making sure they're as good as we could possibly make them.

I read the guide you suggested and tried the rotation on a dummy and I'm still doing around 3k-5k, and sometimes 8k. My ilvl is around 340 so I'm thinking my lack of gear is what's making me do low dps.

Not to be snappy, but not much of anything in the guide is reflected in your armory. Your stat caps are off, you're not using glyphs, you're using a fast offhand which is weaker than your fast offhand...

There's a LOT you could be correcting here.

Start reading the guide from the beginning, and correct things as you discover things to correct.

I just want to do good dps so I can get into heroics without getting kicked because I have in the past for doing suckish dps...and they obviously don't get it when I try to tell them I'm gearing up...but anyways, in your opinion, what's the best dps spec for heroics? I asked what was the best dps spec in trade chat on Cho'gall since my realm's like...dead :P (I see you're on Cho'gall...I go on there aswell) and people kept psting and telling me that combat's the easiest and that the rotation is simple. Just want people's perspective on it. Like I said before, I recently started playing my rogue so I'm a bit noobish to the different specs. Guess whichever spec I go, I'll just have to practice...you know what they say...practice makes perfect.

I already answered this six posts ago.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6079791804#7

The only thing I could add is that assassination is somewhat stronger by comparison at low gear levels (say, pre-378), but it's not incredibly noticeable. I leveled my two 85 rogue alts as combat.

I'm not irritable or anything, I just can't think of anything else to say. >_<
Edited by Verelyse on 7/17/2012 7:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/17/2012 07:16 PMPosted by Verelyse
Do you know if noxxic.com is a pretty good site to learn the rotation?

I haven't looked at them, I can just vouch for the guides we have here. We've spent the past... almost two years, fixing them up and making sure they're as good as we could possibly make them.
I read the guide you suggested and tried the rotation on a dummy and I'm still doing around 3k-5k, and sometimes 8k. My ilvl is around 340 so I'm thinking my lack of gear is what's making me do low dps.

Not to be snappy, but not much of anything in the guide is reflected in your armory. Your stat caps are off, you're not using glyphs, you're using a fast offhand which is weaker than your fast offhand...

There's a LOT you could be correcting here.

Start reading the guide from the beginning, and correct things as you discover things to correct.

I just want to do good dps so I can get into heroics without getting kicked because I have in the past for doing suckish dps...and they obviously don't get it when I try to tell them I'm gearing up...but anyways, in your opinion, what's the best dps spec for heroics? I asked what was the best dps spec in trade chat on Cho'gall since my realm's like...dead :P (I see you're on Cho'gall...I go on there aswell) and people kept psting and telling me that combat's the easiest and that the rotation is simple. Just want people's perspective on it. Like I said before, I recently started playing my rogue so I'm a bit noobish to the different specs. Guess whichever spec I go, I'll just have to practice...you know what they say...practice makes perfect.

I already answered this six posts ago.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6079791804#7

The only thing I could add is that assassination is somewhat stronger by comparison at low gear levels (say, pre-378), but it's not incredibly noticeable. I leveled my two 85 rogue alts as combat.

I'm not irritable or anything, I just can't think of anything else to say. >_<

Ok so I geared up my rogue as combat. I read all of the stickies and I can honestly say my dps ranges from 15-20k...sometimes 13k and that's much better than 5k, lol. I'm 17.68% spell hit capped and expertise is 24. I have the glyphs that are recommended but don't have enchants yet but working on it. So thank you for the tips/advice, and stickies :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Your expertise is too low (should be at 26 for raiding), your hit rating is too high (shouldn't be higher than 17% spell hit), your haste seems low (it looks like you prioritized spell hit cap over haste, which is backwards), and you're using a mh dagger as combat. You have no glyphs whatsoever applied (you have to actually open your glyph tab in the talent window and apply glyphs to the open slots), and you have no enchants.

These are all things that the sticky would have advised you on.

I would suggest getting a slow mainhand (or one of the legendary quest daggers), and then use shadowcraft to calculate your reforging for you. Apply your glyphs, enchant your gear, and then come back if you need more help after that.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]