The Secret World

Everyone will have their own opinion, but if you haven't heard of this new MMO before that was released July 3rd this month. You should at least check it out.

This, coming from a WoW player since day one. I have tried just about every MMO that has been released after WoW and The Secret World has definitely renewed my faith in online gaming.

I will still retain my WoW account, I'm not leaving. But most certainly will be spending 95% of my time in TSW.

Factions: Illuminati, Templar, Dragons? Yes please. Conspiracies? Myths? Legends? Yes please.

No leveling, not classes. Your character can be whatever you want it to be. And for those that say "ANYTHING?! You mean I can be a twinkle toed ballerina who sells donuts to demons?!" .... If you want to roleplay that....sure. Go ahead.

You gain XP from killing monsters and quests, HOWEVER, the xp allows you to obtain ability points and skill points where you spend on an ability wheel and skill tree any way you want....

Want to wield a hammer and use magic? Want to use magic and use an assault rifle? Go ahead.

Anyway, just my two cents. You'll either like it or not. The questing is quite different too....those that can't think outside the WoW box will cry foul and come running back to killing 10 of this and running five maps over to get a book.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Funcom?v=7yMIcKmsbzk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRY2tRU_OAo&feature=player_embedded

www.thesecretworld.com
Edited by Brassbolt on 7/15/2012 4:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I watched a few hours of Kevin Van Ord's live feeds when he played this game after it launched (I think he broadcast every day for a week). The "levelling" system is certainly unique, the voice acting sounded great, and there seemed to be a ton of lore tidbits scattered about. I was impressed with the tremendous amount of careful work that went into the game.

What I didn't like were the rather frequent bouts of frustration that he had to deal with while playing. We're talking about a man who has spent more hours playing video games than Generation Me has spent alive, yet he couldn't get past some of the puzzles without help from Google, not to mention the times he had to reboot because of the bugs that prevented the game from acknowledging that he had solved said puzzles.

There were also the standard headaches that come with all open-world missions in MMOGs where you have 700 players aiming for the same mobs, albeit with different intentions. I find it a little ridiculous for a MMOG to put missions like "lead xx zombies into fire" and the "lead xx zombies into the church" in areas where other players have to kill those targets, so half the time the zombies you're trying to lead end up getting wiped out. If you're playing a MMOG and automatically cringe when you see another player coming, something is broken.

Secret World looks cool but I'll give it more time before trying.
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
Some of the puzzles in TSW require google, that's why there's an in game browser. They want you to look things up to figure out the clues.

Of course you could always look up the answers if you don't feel like challenging your brain.

It's definitely a niche mmo but i enjoyed playing the beta. Maybe if GW2 wasn't coming out so soon i'd get it.
Reply Quote
Some of the puzzles in TSW require google, that's why there's an in game browser. They want you to look things up to figure out the clues.

Of course you could always look up the answers if you don't feel like challenging your brain.

Indeed.

Unless you happen to know Morse Code, or can translate Hexadecimal, Base64, or Arabic/Hebrew on your own, or happen to know - by heart - passages and sections from literature published in the 1800s or even earlier? Yeah, you'll need Google, unless you happen to have the text you need in physical form, which has happened for me on a couple occasions.

There were also the standard headaches that come with all open-world missions in MMOGs where you have 700 players aiming for the same mobs, albeit with different intentions. I find it a little ridiculous for a MMOG to put missions like "lead xx zombies into fire" and the "lead xx zombies into the church" in areas where other players have to kill those targets, so half the time the zombies you're trying to lead end up getting wiped out. If you're playing a MMOG and automatically cringe when you see another player coming, something is broken.

Some missions will register toward completion by simply hitting the mob, so you don't always have to be the first to tag the mob. Not all, but enough that player density isn't always an issue.

Though...some of the bottlenecks revolving around investigation missions can be a pain. There are some people out there who just can't help clicking a clicky, and when you need to click in the right order that can become really frustrating.

Still, looking forward to the new set of Investigation Missions coming at the end of the month with the "Issue #1: Unleashed" update, and whatever each following months' update has in store.
Edited by Nyketa on 7/15/2012 6:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
After playing it through Beta I kind of disagree with the " no leveling " thing. Sure there aren't the standard level 1-60, but the way XP and the ability system work it might as well be leveling, it sure felt like leveling.

Its not a bad game, and if you are burnt completely out on the current MMO formula its worth a try. As I said in another thread though I'll just wait for it to go F2P, it feels like its already set up to be one anyways.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I like that they're trying to be different. Isn't this what many are always saying: stop being a WoW clone?
Reply Quote
For those that missed out on the ARG (Alternate Reality Game) that ran before the launch of TSW, here's a link that follows through each step, minus the most recent one that ended in late June and still needs to be documented:

http://wiki.crygaia.com/index.php?title=Alternate_Reality_Game

It provides some additional back story on a few things, and it's interesting to see how pieces of the game and the setting were slowly revealed.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight
Personally, I'm loving this game.

Love the missions. No hand holding. Investigation missions are awesome. Having to use your brain to solve the puzzles is brilliant. The game is built with an in game browser so you can do research into how to solve them. Unfortunately general is still spammed with people who want to get guided through everything.

The cutscenes are well done, with some the npcs having some great lines.

Dungeons are great. Practically all boss fights, mininum trash. And they can punish an unprepared group.

Combat. While a bit clunky, gets better as you unlock those top abilities and build a spec to your own playstyle. And I like that there is an active dodge, so you can dive out of the way of attacks.

PvP is fun, love Fusang. But not enjoying getting owned by people in top gear. While the buff says your stats boosted to equal that of your opponents, if you are in green gear you are not actually anywhere near the same stats as someone in QL10 purple gear. So you can prepared to be one shotted. And there is the OP builds, players spamming 2 buttons and owning everyone.

Is this a game for your typical WoW player? No. I had a good laugh when a WoW player (he told us he was) started complaining in general that the game was too hard and that it had to be nerfed or it wasn't going to do well. I personally loved the fact that I could die (and did die) while doing missions.
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Warlock
I have been playing since 6/30 and love every second of it, as a horror buff the atmosphere and setting had me instantly. This definitely is not for your typical gamer and Im sure the game will be more of a niche game than anything which is fine but as has been said if your looking for WoW with a Horror skin you will be playing the wrong game.
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Warlock
After playing it through Beta I kind of disagree with the " no leveling " thing. Sure there aren't the standard level 1-60, but the way XP and the ability system work it might as well be leveling, it sure felt like leveling.

Its not a bad game, and if you are burnt completely out on the current MMO formula its worth a try. As I said in another thread though I'll just wait for it to go F2P, it feels like its already set up to be one anyways.

The thing is, from what I've read the game does not need a heck of a lot of recurring subscribers to be profitable, and even if they change up how payment plans work a few years down the road it wont be f2p it will be freemium, think wow's "f2p" first 20 levels, it would be something like that.
Reply Quote
By the way, if anyone is interested in "friending" me on TSW my character name is: Tymes

I'm on the Grim server, not that it matters since we can interact with anyone no matter where or what server they're on. :) Feel free.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
I did it. I just bought the game and am now downloading it. So excited, but I won't abandon my toons here on WoW either. I'll have to work it out some how, but I'll give the Secret World a go and see if I like it. I've only heard good things about Secret World, here on the forums and on other sites as well, unlike the bad feed back we gave to GW2.

Not considering this a wowbreaker by any means, but I'm just curious what else is out there, just like all of you have wondered as well.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]