Macro Enabled Mechanical Keyboard

(Locked)

100 Blood Elf Paladin
Hi everyone,

I'm planning on purchasing a Macro Enabled keyboard from Corsair the Vengeance K90 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard.

I've read a few reviews online mentioning account bans using similar products such as the Logitech G15 and various G series keyboards.

At the current moment I'm using a Maxell soft touch keyboard with illuminated LEDs which hasn't given any problems but I wish to type faster and more responsive while playing the game.

So, my question for Blizzard or from any knowledgeable person, will this get my account banned using a macro enabled keyboard with Corsair driver software enabled?

Thank you.
100 Draenei Shaman
I know initialy when the G series came out.. i beleive it was warden was catching and banning accounts, based on it being there, since it could be used for mostly 'automation' macros..
Now this hasnt happened in a long time.. i know i have it runnin on my desktop and it hasnt banned me.
So for just the software alone.. no likely will not ban you.

BUT if its ever found out, that you are using any form of automation macro, this could be grounds for a ban.
90 Gnome Warlock
I've been using a G15 for over a year and have never gotten an account action. As long as you don't use it to automate macros you are fine. Stick to the macros that you can create in game and assign them to the other keys :)
Support Forum Agent
07/13/2012 08:12 AMPosted by Scuba
I've been using a G15 for over a year and have never gotten an account action. As long as you don't use it to automate macros you are fine. Stick to the macros that you can create in game and assign them to the other keys :)

^^ This.

As long as it can be created ingame, that's fine.

If it will do more than the macros ingame can with one keypress, that's an issue.
100 Troll Hunter
Thanks,

All that information is scary. If I used the recording software with Corsair and for example had it record /cast fishing. Would this be considered an out of game macro or in-game macro?

I might just use the keyboard without the drivers.

Since you could execute a /cast command in game, it should be fine. However, let me tell you from experience, that this is a horribly inefficient use of the programmable keys.

I have a G15, and program 12 of the 18 keys to Alt-1 through Alt-=, and then bind abilities to those keys. This way, I can use the keys for different characters, and even different games, without reprogramming them every time.
100 Night Elf Hunter
07/13/2012 08:24 AMPosted by Orlyia
As long as it can be created ingame, that's fine.

If it will do more than the macros ingame can with one keypress, that's an issue.

Is this still viable since its over 2 years ago? There are many, many keyboards and mice that utilize programmable keys as well as the software that comes with it.

You cannot tell me that absolutely no one in the game doesn't use the programmability functions of the peripherals and/or the software that comes with it.

You can literally program a macro within the software (such as you can within the game) and click it and forget it because it will repeat, much like continuously clicking an in game macro.
MVP - Customer Support
100 Tauren Druid
04/01/2015 10:52 AMPosted by Kalarah
You can literally program a macro within the software (such as you can within the game) and click it and forget it because it will repeat, much like continuously clicking an in game macro.

And doing that will get you banned for automation.

Yes, there's plenty of hardware and software which can do a great deal more than the in-game macro system allows.

There are, of course, very specific reasons for those limitations.

They haven't changed and are very unlikely to ever change.
"'Need Before Green' should be a real thing though." -- Vrakthris
8 Orc Hunter
1. any time you 'record' a macro, you're looking at a potential problem.

2. any time you have a repeat or a delay programmed into a macro, you have a problem.

Programmable peripherals are a great way to allow you to program macro executions without tying up toolbars in game, or to gain additional hot keys and keybinds.
100 Orc Shaman
Nothing's changed with the terms of use. If you use the keyboard software to create macros that have repeating keystrokes or delays, that is automation (aka botting) and will be punished accordingly. Do not use the keyboard software to make macros that do things that the in-game macro system can't do. It doesn't matter how common the keyboards/software are, using them to automate the game is not allowed.
100 Dwarf Hunter
Best way to use a keyboard with extra buttons is to assign those extra buttons to more esoteric key combinations. eg: Ctrl+Alt+Numpad1 - 9.
8 Orc Hunter
04/01/2015 02:33 PMPosted by Steelfistv
Best way to use a keyboard with extra buttons is to assign those extra buttons to more esoteric key combinations. eg: Ctrl+Alt+Numpad1 - 9.

That's basically the start.

I then use bartender to create a new bar, and change it to a 3x4 size, and keybind those keys to it.

Then drag and drop the abilities or macros you want to use into the new toolbar.

I have one on the left side of my main toolbars that corresponds with my G Keys (that are on the left side of my keyboard) and on the right side of my main bars, I have my extra mouse buttons, along with a ctrl and shift modified keybind...

3 buttons on the mouse becomes 9 hot keys for commonly used abilities (that aren't part of my normal rotation)

the G-Keys are reached by the hand I use for my rotation, so I use them for more functions I want easy access to, but not as heavy use - rezzes, mounts, as well as crowd control abilities on a few toons
100 Night Elf Hunter
While I understand using the software for automation is against ToS, would it be safe to assume that it is perfectly fine to use a /script loop function in a macro that can be programmed in the games macro window? Since you are using the game itself, or is that against ToS as well?

I don't use the software that came with my mouse and keyboard, but I do write my own addons that are triggered sometimes with an in game macro. Such as my M1 key to /cast an ability and start a timer countdown bar for the CD of that ability.
MVP - Customer Support
100 Tauren Druid
If you can do it with an in-game /script call, then you're fine to bind an extended key to trigger it.

For example, several addons (Panda and TradeSkillMaster) offer a /massmill option, which will mill any (and all) available herbs in your bags. People have done clever things like bind that to a mouse wheel and just spin away until their bags are full of pigment.

Doing something similar with an ability cast and a keyboard key would be equally permitted - all it's doing is calling the in-game function.
"That's the difference 'tween a real soldier and this little Halloween outfit you got goin' on. You'd kill to protect your rights. A real soldier? He'd die to protect somebody else's." -- Eliot Spencer (Leverage)
Edited by Pahanda on 4/2/2015 7:02 AM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]