Ironman Challenge Thread, Part IV

67 Draenei Paladin
We appear to have capped the Part III thread.

JOIN THE IRONMAN CHALLENGE!!!
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/4452527/Till_Death_Do_You_Part-2_10_2012#blog

Hello, this is page five of The Ironman Challenge. The other four are linked below, if you want the history.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3881708489
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3881923142
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3966606644
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3967848837

We are tracking our progress with an automated website: (Thanks Casa!)

http://wowironman.com/

HOW TO SIGN-UP:

1. Visit http://wowironman.com/
2. Select your region/realm and type in your character name using the search at the top. Since this function pulls data from the Armory your character must be level 10 to participate. Deaths are automatically tracked and your character will be moved to the Honored Dead if they die. Huge thanks to Ironbraids and Aber for previously keeping our records.Get from level 1-85 using the rules below.

Ironman Challenge Rules:

1. All gear employed must be White or Grey. Also, no Heirlooms of any sort.
2. No transfer of gear, items or money from any other character (yours or others)
3. No gear enhancement(s), thus no Socket Gems, Enchanting or Reforging. Exceptions exist for class abilities. (example: Rogue poisons)
4. No specializations, talent points, or glyphs. This restriction also applies to talent points for pets.
5. No professions or secondary skills. An exception is made for First Aid.
6. No potions/flasks/elixirs (except those labeled as Quest Items)
7. No food buffs or other external buffs (this includes buffs from items and other players).
8. No grouping or assistance from other characters, even if not grouped.
9. No dungeons/raids. No battlegrounds/arenas.
10. No guilds. An exception is made for Ironman guilds (no perks)
11. No Refer-A- Friend activities. The intention of the challenge is that it be done without assistance.
12. No add-ons that assist in combat (try to challenge yourself and do the most with the least).
13. THE BIG ONE: No deaths. Character death for any reason disqualifies the character.

Permitted:- All mounts- All bags/containers- All quests (including holiday and daily quests)- You may train and use all your class skills (including your own buffs)

FAQ:
1. Another player helped me randomly!
Don't worry, you're still in the challenge. So long as the the other player isn't constantly helping you this is not an issue. If you receive a buff/heal/help with a kill simply thank the player and continue on (remember to remove the buff!).

Do not request help. If the player sticks around politely tell them you are attempting to solo and ask them to respect that play-style.

2. Can I use the Auction House?
You can use any vendors and the AH all you like! Both gear and bags can be purchased from either source and you're more than welcome to sell all your loot on the AH for more profit.

3. Can I use regular/non-buff food?
You may use food/drink to regenerate health/mana, but that should be the only benefit it provides. If the food/drink provides a buff that lasts after you're done eating it's not allowed.

Remember everyone, use good judgement, common sense and - HAVE FUN!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHOOSING A SERVER:

Challengers may create their characters on any realm, but PvP servers are discouraged since PvP deaths count as deaths for this challenge. Challengers are encouraged to roll on Nazgrel (Alliance-PvE), Moon Guard (Horde-RP), or Wyrmrest Accord (Alliance-RP), based on their faction/playstyle preferences. All servers have <Ironman Challenger> guilds up and running. Type [/who ironman challenger] to see who is online and ask for an invite. Role-playing is not required to participate in the challenge on MG/WrA but please be respectful of the RP communities on those servers.

Role-Play Servers Policy:

http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/roleplaying-policy

Chat channels are also available:

Wyrmrest Accord (Alliance): Type [/join iron] to join our chat channel!
Moon Guard (Horde): Type [/join ironmanchallenge] to join our chat channel!

LINKS: We have many fan-made sites and threads dedicated to different aspects of the challenge!

http://wowironman.com/ (Leaderboard)
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3941414946 (Dangerous Quests/Areas)
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4062846258 (FAQ/Rules Questions)
http://wowironmanchallenge.proboards.com/index.cgi#general (Forum)
http://www.orderoftheiron.com/ (Website)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Very good to see this is still going.

It is rare for a fan-created phenomenon to outlast the initial fervor. This Challenge has now lasted seven months -- an even more rare accomplishment.

Congratulations to everyone who recognized this for what it was/is -- something different.

Good fortune and happy gaming.
Reply Quote
23 Draenei Hunter
This challenge remains among the few bright spots in my WoW experience in the last three years. Sure, I've died, repeatedly and often through no fault other than my own, but for a time, it was like seeing the game from it's first and purer days all over again. I've been playing since 1.9. How refreshing to see once again that sense of community and shared purpose that's been lacking lately.

If you have not yet tried this challenge, why not give it a try? You'll be amazed at how rewarding it can be, and not in ways you might immediately think. For those still in the challenge, my continued admiration and respect for you. For those who have finished and reached your goals, you are among the few who have truly "won" in this game.

For Ironman Challengers everywhere!

/salute
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
I was in on the “ground floor” of the Challenge (meaning early in the first thread). I saw (and in some ways helped) it develop into its current form. I have to admit it was a gratifying experience… most especially the “community” that formed around it; much more comfortable than anything I had experienced in-game (or on the forums) to that point. Though I proved to myself that I was not yet skilled enough to “do it justice” (stopped after the 35th attempt and never topped lvl 25! OMG!), I do keep an eye on what happens here from time to time, just to stay in touch. I’ll try again some time in the future when I feel better able to do it “right”.

I wonder, at times, how many people still know about the Challenge? When it started there were a few dozen. When Blizz “advertised” about it it went “viral” for a while. Several thousand jumped in. But then it sort of “piddled out” leaving only a small but dedicated contingent to “keep on keeping on”. I’ve made a point recently to respond to every forum post I see that says either “I’m bored” or “This game is too easy!” to refer them here so they can read the rules and perhaps take up the Challenge for themselves. I don’t know if it’s done any good but I thought it worth the effort, just on the off chance.

Happy ironing.
Reply Quote
56 Blood Elf Mage
I was in on the “ground floor” of the Challenge (meaning early in the first thread). I saw (and in some ways helped) it develop into its current form. I have to admit it was a gratifying experience… most especially the “community” that formed around it; much more comfortable than anything I had experienced in-game (or on the forums) to that point. Though I proved to myself that I was not yet skilled enough to “do it justice” (stopped after the 35th attempt and never topped lvl 25! OMG!), I do keep an eye on what happens here from time to time, just to stay in touch. I’ll try again some time in the future when I feel better able to do it “right”.

I wonder, at times, how many people still know about the Challenge? When it started there were a few dozen. When Blizz “advertised” about it it went “viral” for a while. Several thousand jumped in. But then it sort of “piddled out” leaving only a small but dedicated contingent to “keep on keeping on”. I’ve made a point recently to respond to every forum post I see that says either “I’m bored” or “This game is too easy!” to refer them here so they can read the rules and perhaps take up the Challenge for themselves. I don’t know if it’s done any good but I thought it worth the effort, just on the off chance.

Happy ironing.

I am still around, and read the forum from time to time.
I initially gave up because of the trolling in the game as well as the many arguments that followed even here... specifically when the idea went viral.
I will probably pick this back up, in the next week or so with a different Janileth...
I miss making the RP reports and such.
When you look at the reporting page of the Ironman Challenge, only 12 of all those that started ever made it to 85...and half, 6... were hunters.
I noticed that a mage, lock and priest finally made it.
It is rewarding to see that people kept going past the initial fighting and trolling that made me leave the challenge, and disband the initial guild from moonguard.
Now that things are much mroe calm... its time.
Reply Quote
25 Troll Hunter
Hello Janileth, good to see you may be back...the remnants of your guild are still about, albeit very quiet.

This is Rustyiron, and I also was around in the beginning, and waded through the bickering. I did write an answer to those who want to demean the challenge as "easy" or "simple"..we see the return of Neverdied on this forum and she/he goads people to anger, or at least hissing back. There is no call for spats or words.

This was my answer but the last thread was capped so I couldn't put it there:

It is all perception...what is easy for one, is difficult for another.

I for one find the challenge just that, challenging. But I am not "ace gamer" and never will be. I do not even try to make out that I am. Neverdied is perhaps just that, who, like my son, can buzz through any game and finds it "easy". Kripparian, who we all know was First Ironman, is the same. He seeks out the harder challenges in games because he can rip through the normal mode and wants to challenge his gamer self. Just as there are the different levels of competitors in sports, from beginner to amature to pro. Not everyone is a pro. Not everyone can waltz through and level to 85 without dying, gear or no gear. Some of us "game retards" can't get past level 30. So the Ironman Challenge is just that, challenging and difficult. It has trained me to be a better player, but by no means has it made me a pro. I do not have the hand/ eye coordination to be a fast, secure, talented gamer. For people like Kripp and Neverdied, the Ironman Challenge is not all that hard. But for people like me, the Challenge is like a brick wall. Never berate the fact I find Ironman challenging, it is, for me. Remember there are things that I can do, like a pro, that you may not be able to. I am an artist, that is what I can do better than most. I also train dogs for search and rescue. And manage a small beef herd. I do these things better than most, but I won't be putting you down if you can only draw stick people and find art "challenging".

Remember, it is all in the perspective of the viewer
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Mage

Remember, it is all in the perspective of the viewer

Yes you are right and I forgot about this when I commented. I apologize for the tone and the direction of the comment. I tend to sound aggressive...its not intended. Thank you for reminding me about the fact that the perception of difficulty is subjective.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
It has been good to see a few non-hunters make it... and to see people still giving it a go.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Well...Asy my latest Iron toon died this morning @ 64

I was bored of questing so I thought I might explore Blades Edge Mountains then as I was flying around I recalled someone saying be careful of the elite that fly's aro.... farrrrk

One shotted

Well I was struggling this last toon after losing previous ones @ 60, 61, 70 and now 64 and really was losing enthusiasm for questing and I have to say i wasn't as upset when i died as I thought I would be.

Anyhoo that's it for me, with Mists coming out shortly I might recuperate for the leveling grind that will happen then

Thanks to the guys in the /iron channel and to the "too Cute to die" Guild it has been a great time.

I will drop in every now and then to say hello

Stay Safe!!!
Reply Quote
67 Draenei Paladin
Well...Asy my latest Iron toon died this morning @ 64

I was bored of questing so I thought I might explore Blades Edge Mountains then as I was flying around I recalled someone saying be careful of the elite that fly's aro.... farrrrk

One shotted

Well I was struggling this last toon after losing previous ones @ 60, 61, 70 and now 64 and really was losing enthusiasm for questing and I have to say i wasn't as upset when i died as I thought I would be.

Anyhoo that's it for me, with Mists coming out shortly I might recuperate for the leveling grind that will happen then

Thanks to the guys in the /iron channel and to the "too Cute to die" Guild it has been a great time.

I will drop in every now and then to say hello

Stay Safe!!!

Sorry to hear this. :( R.I.P. Asy. I understand about the questing burnout as I'm in at as well. I get the urge to play and I just dread the quests so I do a little bit and get off. Doesn't help that I had modem issues recently and they just intermittently go off now and again still.

Anyway, it was a pleasure to have you in the guild and you will be missed. I'll hold you to the popping in to visit. Good luck with MoP!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Rogue
Now that I have some more time to play. I'll give it a try (: Going to start on Wyrmrest Accord because I've been playing horde forever.
Reply Quote
49 Night Elf Druid
Popped in on the wowironman.com list today only to find Feryllydria is on honored dead! RIP! I hope you will come back or I will miss you in iron chat!

I have started up again after being out sick for a while and I'm taking it slow and green. My first goal is to get further than Myronnae and to that end I'm also leveling a DK who is doing everything pre-Outland from Cataclysm so I can get familiarity before I do it on Myronie.

Is it feasible to do everything you can before Outland and then basically skip Hellfire and go right to Zangarmarsh? Because of all my DK alts I am so bored with Hellfire I can hardly stand to look at it.

Good luck to all the new ironers!
Reply Quote
10 Orc Warrior
New iron toon checking in.

I'm hoping this challenge will revitalize World of Warcraft for me. It'd also be nice if Blizzard notices that there is a group of people in their subscriber base who enjoys challenging play like this and offers that group something official.

My hat off to all the Ironmen (and women) who have tried before me. Also, a great deal of respect to those who achieved levels 60, 70, 80 and (most of all) the small group who reached 85.

Wish me luck. I understand Warrior is going to be really difficult.
Reply Quote
56 Blood Elf Mage
What are the musings about the restrictions for getting to 90, and the new talent systems?
Being in the beta, they have tied a vast majority of the class skills to an actual specialization, and locks out many of the class features that were once common for all.
Like - frostbolt and Arcane blast...only available with a specialization.
Just thoughts.
Reply Quote
49 Night Elf Druid
I can only speak for myself, but I intend to get as far as I can before the mandatory switch to MoP, and then if I haven't reached my maximum possible level by then - and I'm going so slowly I might not - I plan to kill this toon just before the switch and leave her on Honored Dead under the original ruleset.

I'm not in the beta but what I hear about the talent changes suggests we might be forced to revisit the rules. If that's the case, I might prefer to do it on a new toon so each toon is leveled under one consistent ruleset. Either way, I think I would want to start a new toon for MoP because the conditions will be very different.
Reply Quote
72 Night Elf Druid
It is quite feasible to get halfway, or more, thru 62 before going to Outland (done it 3 times now, sigh) It does take a little planning ahead to save quest content for 60, as the xp per mob kill drops to one tenth in Azeroth at 60. I didn't skip Hellfire, as I wanted to maximize the levels I could get before moving on to Northrend. The first part of Zangarmarsh was easier than much of Hellfire, so I think you could go directly there. There's certainly enough content in Outland to reach 70+, without Hellfire. At 72, I had done part of Netherstorm and a few quests in Shadowmoon Valley, but nowhere near all. The dailys on the Isle of Quel'Danas helped, though one of them took some caution.
Reply Quote
67 Draenei Paladin
I believe that the change in the talent trees will start in the 5.0 patch when it hits and that will probably be about a month before the release of MoP.

I plan on trying to go as far as I can on Kahlee even with the changes to the talent trees and still stay within the rules of the challenge. I had copied my previous IMC character to the Beta to try her out in the Borean Tundra and while it was a little more difficult I was able to kill things and get some quests done and she was at 72 which is when I took her out there on WrA. So I believe it is still doable. It's probably going to take more caution and some time to get used to.
Reply Quote
49 Night Elf Druid
Thanks! I now have a plan :)
Edited by Myronie on 8/9/2012 3:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
33 Undead Hunter
I'm shocked to see a mage made it. I've always felt they were the hardest class to level questing by far. I'm excited to see how far I can get. Curious how many of the current 85's will be able to make it to 90....
Reply Quote
10 Worgen Druid
Currently undertaking the challenge on my lil worgen druid.
I wanted to level a druid, and I wanted it to be fun... :D
So... hopefully I can do this *crosses fingers*
/E: Also in MoP, there is a lack of baseline spells/skills, so I don't know if that will affect the rules or just make it that much harder! XD
Edited by Unholycat on 8/18/2012 8:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]