The Dark Knight Rises

90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Better than the first not as good as the second but real close.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
07/20/2012 10:46 PMPosted by Nathreim

/thread

How sad is it that I almost cried when Alfred made his monologue in the first half? Michael Caine, you can have me.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I thought Nolan had said he would never do a movie with Robin, course he could have been talking about this trilogy too.

I thought the last scene implied that Blake was going to be Batman, or at least Nightwing
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
I liked it, but like many people have said, it just wasn't as good to me as The Dark Knight was. Still, this version of Bane beats the pants off of the version of Bane they had in Batman & Robin. My GOD was that an awful movie all way around. Thanks, George "Bat Nipples" Clooney.

Joking aside, Nolan said this was the end of this Batman Trilogy. However, after his work is finished with Superman, there IS another version of Batman he could tackle, one that I am genuinely curious to see: Batman Beyond.

Only question is... who would be right to play Terry McGuiness?
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue

He just gets his !@# kicked in a melee then follows a prison hope story to 'rise' back up. Personally I think the scenes in Dark Knight where he nearly loses it, e.g. when he's beating up the Joker relentlessly after locking the police out of the room, is more 'brutal' than watching Bane whoop batmans $%^ in his headquarters, but that's just me. As I said, it was good, but for me it wasn't amazing or the best of the three.

That's what made TDK so good. The scene where Batman is about to hit the Joker with his motorcycle and kill him, and break his one rule was so deep. The Joker pushed Batman to his emotional limits. TDKR wasn't on that deep of a level, Bane just kept beating him up. I actually found the movie extremely boring till about the last 30 minutes. All the plot twists are pretty obvious too
Reply Quote
89 Undead Warlock
07/21/2012 03:33 PMPosted by Lepos

/thread

How sad is it that I almost cried when Alfred made his monologue in the first half? Michael Caine, you can have me.

I nearly cried too /brofist.
Reply Quote
60 Human Death Knight
07/20/2012 06:26 AMPosted by Kassiel
The majority of the plot was so obvious. There were several plot holes I had and I personally think The Dark Knight was better, though this movie was really good too.

Oh puh-leeze. There was no way you knew that (spoiler) was the same person who escaped from jail.

As far as icons go, I think Bane did excellent for having a British accent (though I kept thinking of General Grevious). He was definitely top notch. Hardy did an amazing job, but I don't think he topped the Joker. His voice was his signature, but Ledger's laugh from TDK was priceless.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
07/21/2012 10:16 PMPosted by Kreayshawn
but Ledger's laugh from TDK was priceless

Still doesn't even enter the same solar system as Mark Hamill's Joker laugh. I don't think anyone can top his.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
Not sure why people compare Bane and the Joker on the same level. In my opinion, they are two completely different characters: Bane is a physical thread; Joker, a psychological threat. I really liked Bane because he put Batman in his place and showed him that he can't just come back into the game and defeat him easily.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
My god, the acting was superb. The emotion that Alfred portrayed beautiful. Ann Hathaway's portrayal of Selina and that interesting scene in the end.

Still, my condolence to the victims of the Colorado Massacre. Honestly though, I think just because the shooting occurred doesn't mean it'll stop most of us from going. The only thing we have to look for is be on alert and see any suspicious activity.
Reply Quote
07/22/2012 02:52 AMPosted by Freese
Not sure why people compare Bane and the Joker on the same level. In my opinion, they are two completely different characters: Bane is a physical thread; Joker, a psychological threat. I really liked Bane because he put Batman in his place and showed him that he can't just come back into the game and defeat him easily.

The Bane from the comics (and to a similar extent, this movie) is a psychological threat as well, just in a different way. The Joker is chaos to Batman's order, and is about corrupting people because he just wants to see it happen and watch the world burn. Bane is about breaking people - their will, their emotions, and/or their bodies.

I think part of the reason this movie is so good is because it has the momentum of the first two behind it - as stand alone films, the second is arguably better. However, when you explore things introduced in the first hour of the first film - things like theatricality and deception and their use as tools for good or evil - and how that depends on the superhero's image? And when you add in the idea of a superhero being a legend, almost a myth in the making (myth here being a cultural truth), and have that image tarnished by propaganda upon which a "better" society is built without the underlying corruption actually removed, which is set-up by the second movie? And then you raise what is at stake?

You have an incredibly powerful third act in what could easily be seen as one single, 7 or so hour movie.
Reply Quote
60 Human Death Knight
They didn't put enough into this movie. It's hard to put my finger on it, but you can tell something was missing.

The French Revolution is the framework for this movie's main plot and Nolan didn't even scratch the surface. The "Reign of Terror" (mock court cases) that took place were not at as dark as the trials in, for example, 'The Tale of Two Cities'. Everyone in the movie theater laughed when we saw Scarecrow as the judge.

Then there's the actual revolution itself, which is in many ways just a rehash of 'Fight Club'. You have the charismatic leader who insist on freeing everyone from their economic status and gathers his army from the everyday worker.

The setting wasn't really as moving as it should've been. I didn't feel sorry for Gotham. How could you? Bane said he was giving the city back to them, so of course you have an entire prison set free, but the only scene that showed the effects was when you see the prisoners ripping pillows apart, destroying paintings, forcing people out onto the streets (even though were later shown them taken in by a local church).

'The Pianist' did a much better job of showing people living under oppression. People randomly shot for simply asking a question and crippled people thrown out of windows was definitely scarier than Gotham's anarchists.

So in short, watch this movie and then watch Fight Club and The Pianist to see how it's done.

And why did Bane release the prisoners because he discovered the truth about Dent? Just because someone does terrible things doesn't mean you should rid of their legislation.
Edited by Kreayshawn on 7/22/2012 11:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
80 Orc Warrior
"Ah you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark, I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me. "

Thats some hardcore stuff to say to the bat before his epic beat down.
Edited by Coojo on 7/22/2012 12:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
"Ah you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark, I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me. "

Thats some hardcore stuff to say to the bat before his epic beat down.

Best part of the movie imo. Hardy was absolutely brilliant as Bane.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Rogue
Regardless of which individual movie was better than the other, the entire trilogy is my favorite of all time.

And yes I'm comparing it to Star Wars, LOTR, Harry Potter, Back to the Future, etc.

This is all my personal opinion obviously.

Batman just appeals to me more as a hero than compared to all the heroes of those other trilogies..

(Although it may tie w/ Godfather for me but I like that trilogy for different reasons)
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
07/21/2012 09:29 PMPosted by Kassiel
I nearly cried too /brofist.

As did I, at least twice Alfred brought me to tears.

Nat & Bane did as well.

I AWWWWWWWWW'D so hard at that.

But I'd be lying if I said tears were not shed by me during that film.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I have to wait for DKR to come to DVD before i can see it. That said, i liked Batman Begins more than i did the Dark Knight.

Heath Ledger did awesome but i found the first movie far better overall. AND IT HAD LIAM NEESON!!!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]