BMAH- What it is. Future listings.

90 Tauren Druid
The Black Market Auction House is a new feature coming in Mists of Pandaria that is intended to drain gold out of a realm’s economy. It has numerous rare, desirable items for sale, such as rare drop mounts, TCG items, Tier 3 gear pieces, various pets, rare pattern, and BiS PvP/PvE gear for that season/tier, with a minimum bidding price, and no buyout price. In addition, each bid increases the total bidding time left on the object by a set amount, preventing last-minute bidding wars.

This items have a minimum bidding price of anywhere from 5k to 20k gold, and have an absolute bid limit of 999’999 g, 99 s, and 99 c. Once the max amount is bid, no more bids can be accepted- So in order to be 100% sure you acquire an item, you must spend 1 million gold. While this might be an acceptable amount for an exceedingly rare mount, such as one of the removed Naxx Proto-Drakes, spending that much to simply acquire, say, a full T3 set is a hefty amount, around 8 million gold!

So, with a decent explanation of what the BMAH is, until Mists comes out, I shall try to raise attention to it, and once Mists comes out, I shall try to turn this thread into a list of items on the BMAH.
Edited by Okakeri on 7/20/2012 7:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Hunter
Cause with anonymous alts, no one will ever cheat a system based on "honesty"....
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
07/19/2012 06:34 PMPosted by Okakeri
in order to keep the amount of gold being sunk to a minimum, and thus keeping the economy stable.

Soooo... by keeping the rate of gold entering the economy significantly higher than the rate of gold leaving the economy, the economy is stable how?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
delete
Edited by Okakeri on 7/20/2012 7:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
delete
Edited by Okakeri on 7/20/2012 7:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Hunter
07/20/2012 12:09 PMPosted by Okakeri
Cause with anonymous alts, no one will ever cheat a system based on "honesty"....

There really isnt any "cheating". Person A bids on object for 100k. Person B bids on the object for 120k, extending the bidding time for a greater period of time. Person A rebids a higher price, and a bidding war ensues. The only "cheating" that I suppose there could be is if Person B is bidding with the intent to get Person A to bid a certain price, and thus intentionally causing Person A to spend a greater amount of gold then they normally would.

The system I wish to see is, rather then Person A and B entering a bidding war, they instead discuss prices between themselves and come to an arrangement so that a lower amount of gold is spent. Perhaps person A can spend 500k on an item, while person B has limited funds to 200k. However, Person A doesnt want to spend more then 100k g on any item, while Person B would spend his full 200k on an item. They come come to an arrangement where Person A understands that the item he would like to acquire would cost double then what he is willing to spend, and Person B spends 150k on the item, thus leaving him with a 50k modicum. Person A keeps his 500k g for a future item, while Person B comes out with his item, and 50k.

Almost everything about game theory says this will not work. For example, I can
A) lie, and say I'm willing to spend 500k on an item I'm only willing to spend 300k on. Player B says they were willing to spend 400k, and told the truth. By your system, since I lied I want the item more, and will get it for less money. Meanwhile player B gets screwed.

B) agree to let you have an item, then get on my anonymous alt and out bid you.

This won't benefit everyone, but just dishonest individuals. In game theory those individuals are known as cheaters, hence why I used the term cheating above.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Hunter

Either way, the more gold in an economy, the more there is to get spread out.

No not at all. Relative amount of gold is what matters in a player based economy, not total.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
This is a valuable thread and is bound to elicit a wave of change. Nordrassil is ground zero for WoW's economic morality.
Reply Quote
25 Gnome Warlock
Really, more than a way to drain stored wealth from the economy, this will have a drag effect on the prices of other goods and raw materials. With smaller stockpiles of gold, the price of farmed and fabricated goods will not explode as they usually do after the first few months of an expansion.

But instead of manipulating the demand side with lower "economy wide" liquidity, why not implement a boost for the supply side? Say, an "Offer-to-Buy" system?

Example: I would like to level Inscription. The pressure point is finding enough OL and NR herbs. (and a few months into MoP, try to find Twilight Jasmine on the AH) I would like to have the ability to Post a OTB "offer-to-buy" xxx amount of zzzz herb at 3 gold ea. The OTB would last for 12-24-48 hrs. and would allow for partial fills. This would accelerate the rate at which money moves through the economy, and give a dependable market place to buy rare or unique items. Also, if there is more than 1 OTB for an item, as a seller, I can fill the OTB of the highest offer.

In the present economy, a Buyer has multiple options with many AH postings. With a OTB system running along side of the current AH, The seller has an option as well. Quick sell in the OTB side, or the patient sell in the AH
Reply Quote
83 Undead Hunter
Really, more than a way to drain stored wealth from the economy, this will have a drag effect on the prices of other goods and raw materials. With smaller stockpiles of gold, the price of farmed and fabricated goods will not explode as they usually do after the first few months of an expansion.

But instead of manipulating the demand side with lower "economy wide" liquidity, why not implement a boost for the supply side? Say, an "Offer-to-Buy" system?

Example: I would like to level Inscription. The pressure point is finding enough OL and NR herbs. (and a few months into MoP, try to find Twilight Jasmine on the AH) I would like to have the ability to Post a OTB "offer-to-buy" xxx amount of zzzz herb at 3 gold ea. The OTB would last for 12-24-48 hrs. and would allow for partial fills. This would accelerate the rate at which money moves through the economy, and give a dependable market place to buy rare or unique items. Also, if there is more than 1 OTB for an item, as a seller, I can fill the OTB of the highest offer.

In the present economy, a Buyer has multiple options with many AH postings. With a OTB system running along side of the current AH, The seller has an option as well. Quick sell in the OTB side, or the patient sell in the AH

This, is an extremely good idea.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]