A Message to Blizzard and the Community: DDoS

90 Night Elf Rogue
This issue I'm addressing is the state of Distributed Denial of Service Attacks (DDoS) in WoW and the community. Unfortunately, the issue is one-sided. There is a very great deal to say about cheating policy and its perpetrators, however, much less to say about Blizzard’s moderation--except by and large, they’ve neglected to. Why they should neglect it is an interesting question, perhaps more of a psychological-business argument question than a proper debate. And yet, whatever the reasons, on proper ethical grounds the arguments mustered to enforce Blizzard’s current cheating policy by the staff make for very thin gruel. My mission is simple. I want fair competition.

I'm asking that we blacklist all such players, we alienate them, we report them, and you permanently ban them, so that we can all have a better experience online. They are facilitating an unfair, unsafe, and dangerous environment in which DDoS run rampant. The last thing we need in a game full of imbalance is the increasing ubiquity of programs that illegally disconnect you from WoW and the internet. Why in the hell allow players of your game to run around committing known felonies?

I come here with realistic expectations. I don't think we'll have a DDoS free community by next week, or even next year, but that doesn't mean that success is out of reach. It will come in slow, careful steps. Our weakness is timidity and false expectations. But our greatest foes are surrender, despair, and neglect. So, for the sake of our game, I invite you all to get on with the program, report these people and others, talk to Blizzard, and tell them to hire staff to more effectively moderate our beloved game.

High-end streamers are scouted down by DDoSers, the NAO Gaming tournament was stifled by DDoS, arena matches, RBG games, etc. It is violating, it is wrong, and Blizzard needs to provide security by banning players that are knowingly, and, bragging about this. They aren't coy, they admit it openly through in-game chat. Many screenshots have been taken. We know it's happening, and yet nothing is being done.

Finally: I ask every person who reads this. If someone decided to kick you off your internet every time you went to the Auction House, every time your main tank pulled the boss, every time you were about roll on a piece of loot, how would you feel? Now imagine there was nothing you could do about it because World of Warcraft isn't a big deal, or because the police don't want to waste their time, or because you can't afford an attorney or are just an innocent fifteen year old kid.
Edited by Bailamost on 7/21/2012 12:17 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Rogue
If you are getting DDoS, you need to be contacting your ISP, Blizzard has nothing to do with it. I'd be asking how they got your ip address first. It's not coming from Blizzard.
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Most of the time Lag and D/C are because of faulty computers or drivers not being updated.
Friends of mine are afraid to come do RBG's with me and some friends because they are afraid that they will become the target of a DDoS attack. It's really sad that i can't play with some of my friends because people are committing crimes ruining everybody's fun.
This has happened to my RBG group too, our two top players were D-DOS'd and we lost to this, even though the score was 1380-920 (In Arathi Basin). I support this message completely.
90 Blood Elf Rogue
I seriously think you guys have no idea what you are talking about? How are they getting your ip addresses? Not from Blizzard.
Edited by Ravenhawke on 7/21/2012 11:57 AM PDT
30 Tauren Priest
/sign.
I have never encountered this, but like gold sellers it's something that, while will never be removed completely, should be crushed like a bug.
90 Human Rogue
balimost all i can say is Wow cant do nothing because they are doing this outside of the game unless u find a video of him doing it blizzard wont do nothing and people ddos people to gain rating and to make bad players who get carried like you dc and lose your rating and they get there ip address from skype
They get your IP from skype, when anyone knows your skype name they instantly have access to your IP adress, and in order to play RBG's you need some sort of communication, skype is the most commonly used.
90 Night Elf Rogue
They get the IP addresses from Skype, but they're not trying to stop a tender-hearted conversation between my grandmother and I, they do it to gain an upper hand in PvP in which they disconnect members of the opposing team from Blizzard's game. Thus Blizzard is involved, and, they can take methods to stop it, just as they do for speedhacking, or botting, or spamming racial slurs. And even more a reason to stop it because it's a known, and, serious felony that is being proliferated under the guise of online gaming.
07/21/2012 11:56 AMPosted by Ravenhawke
I seriously think you guys have no idea what you are talking about? How are they getting your ip addresses? Not from Blizzard.

^ This

In order to DDoS, the person needs to have their target's current IP address. You can't just type in a person's WoW account and expect it to work.
07/21/2012 11:59 AMPosted by Bailamost
They get the IP addresses from Skype
Edited by Deadsoil on 7/21/2012 12:01 PM PDT
86 Undead Mage
07/21/2012 11:58 AMPosted by Deadsoil
They get your IP from skype, when anyone knows your skype name they instantly have access to your IP adress, and in order to play RBG's you need some sort of communication, skype is the most commonly used.

Not sure I'm following. Your opponents have your Skype name?
90 Human Rogue
IF ITS A PROBLEM REMOVE EVERYONE FROM SKYPE AND STOP CRYING KID
90 Night Elf Druid
BLIZZARD LISTEN UP, THIS IS AN EMERGENCY, WE NEED A DEVELOPER TO ADDRESS THIS ISSUE NOW!
They get the IP addresses from Skype, but they're not trying to stop a tender-hearted conversation between my grandmother and I, they do it to gain an upper hand in PvP in which they disconnect members of the opposing team from Blizzard's game. Thus Blizzard is involved, and, they can take methods to stop it, just as they do for speedhacking, or botting, or spamming racial slurs. And even more a reason to stop it because it's a known, and, serious felony that is being proliferated under the guise of online gaming.

um.. Blizzard can't do anything to prevent DDoSing. The only thing you can do is report it to your IPS and tell them you have proof it is a DDoS attack and they *should* report it to the FBI ( or some branch of government, so correct me ) who will then investigate.

Once again, Blizzard has no control over DDoSing and can't prevent it.
90 Night Elf Rogue
A few people here are misunderstanding: Blizzard's lack of security does not come from the in-game feature. I did not say that, but, instead, from the refusal to moderate people that openly cheat (DDoS) to gain rating, honor, and titles in-game. Simply because a third-party program is being used, should not legitimize these felonious tactics.

I'm not asking for Blizzard to play police and throw people in jail, I simply ask that they permanently ban and shut down the accounts of known DDoSers, why is that so difficult? They do it all the time for less important, less violating, and less annoying issues!
Edited by Bailamost on 7/21/2012 12:03 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Rogue
They get the IP addresses from Skype

Not Blizzard's issue. It's a third party software, nothing to do with Blizzard. It's like Photoshop keeps crashing, it's Blizzards fault.
Over time, a lot of people YOU play with have played with DDoS'ers unintentionally and so have I, they collect skype names, and go back into past conversations to get skype names and ask people you have played with to get the skype name to in turn, get your IP and DDoS you.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]