bots in guild

34 Orc Hunter
I'm gm (other toon/realm, I need anonymity for this) of a large guild, and we have a new member that I suspect runs farming bots, likely on different accounts than the one in guild. I have very good reason to suspect this from the extraordinarily generous amount of mats he is depositing to our guild bank in short periods of time, and from comments on how much gold he can make farming in very short periods of time. Like, he says he can farm 150 stacks of cobalt in 2 hours.

Furthermore, he joined with at least one friend who is his partner in banking (told me so), and at the same time as 2 others who seem to be long standing friends, and my gut feeling is that I've got a nest of botters settling into my guild. Since this is a guild of all types of WoWers, I don't usually pry into what people do with their time in game, though we often do various things as guild groups. And I generally love it when new people settle in and make themselves at home and become contributing, active members of the guild. But I don't want botters here, nor anything else illegal by Blizzard's rules. Several dozen stacks of feast fish a week makes me more suspicious than it does grateful.

The reason I feel the botter(s) must be on different accounts is that the amount of mats produced daily are well beyond likely or even possible on one character...and that's just from the amount coming into the gbank. I've spent enough hours solidly farming to be confident saying that. That use of other accounts would make reporting the botters much harder.

I could use some advice on how to confirm/refute my feelings, and how to proceed. The bank is pretty secure, and I'm taking care of the single weak point today. But if anyone else has been in a similar position, what action if any have you taken?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Just put in a ticket and report those you suspect. If they are really botting, Blizzard will figure it out and take care of it. If they're not, no harm done. To make it easier to put that ticket in and include all the details, do it from your account interface on battle.net--the character limit is higher.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I feel the same way you do. If they are botting, get out of my guild. That being said - you can't come out and ask - and expect them to be truthful :)

As Raevenne says, contact a Blizzard GM. Let them know what you suspect and let them handle it. If they are botters, they'll get banned. If they aren't, no harm/no foul.

Good luck to you.
Reply Quote
34 Orc Hunter
Thanks for your replies and support. I would report them if I thought the toons in my guild are the ones botting, or even on the same account. But my suspicion is that it's a different account---or accounts---entirely. It seems pointless to report the wrong account.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Not really. Blizzard can look at all of the wow accounts attached to a particular battle.net account. If you report the characters that are in your guild, they can trace it all to the characters that are botting, if they really are.

Obviously, it might be more difficult if the botting characters are on a completely different battle.net account, but for all we know, Blizzard could figure that out too. *shrug* Reporting it is really your only avenue, unless you want to just gkick these people.
Reply Quote
34 Orc Hunter
Raevenne, I think you're probably right that reporting is my only option, and I certainly will. First I'm gathering as much info as possible.

Don't want to arbitrarily gkick without stronger evidence.

Thanks again.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
This is a strange type of botter that I've never heard of before. Over the years, we've had people hacked in our guild where the toon was used with a bot. The toon is on almost 24/7 and never responds to normal social messages. When someone in the guild sees that, it's reported to an officer who puts a ticket in. Every time it's always been a hacked account with this scenario.

I've never seen a botted toon respond to people in the guild or deposit items in the gbank. Usually, they try to clean out whatever they can from the gbank.

It IS possible to farm dozens of fish feasts in a week. We have a member who enjoys fishing. He watches TV and fishes for hours upon hours. The amount of fish he can get is amazing. He enjoys providing massive stacks of fish feasts for raids. We tease him of course, but this is just an aspect of the game he enjoys. I encourage others not to get lazy and depend on his feasts.

I would ask some questions about how this person farms. They may have a great spot. I try to find a few good ones for the mats I need. For most common crafting items, there are usually one or two great spots to pick things up easily. You may have someone who enjoys finding those great farming spots.

I suggest asking more questions. I just seems strange for a botted toon to be contributing to a gbank. As I said before, I've never seen this happen.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
@Laulu: I'm gonna disagree. I've seen what I think of as professional bots, where that's all they do, farm to make gold to sell. But I've also seen a number of actual wow players, progression minded even, who run bots to make gold for themselves. Those types may well be members of guilds; in fact, my own guild came out of one led by that type of botter. Whether or not my old gm was selling gold for cash I don't know. But after several months in his guild (me as his acting gm), it was clear to many of us that the main purpose of his large guild was to hide some bots in. He was also a skilled wow player, when he could be bothered to talk to any guildies about the game. He was extremely smart and savvy, and had several accounts--and behaved differently on them, as far as I could tell.

There is one member of my guild that was using a fishing bot because he "didn't like fishing." I told him that bots aren't allowed in my guild. I didn't think that was worth booting over, although I'm strongly opposed. I mention him here to show that not all botters must be gold farmers out of china. Lots of people look for the easiest way to do things, including making gold.

07/24/2012 10:21 PMPosted by Laulu
I just seems strange for a botted toon to be contributing to a gbank.

Note: OP suggested that the player in question ran bots from another account.
Edited by Nebliina on 7/25/2012 10:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
People bot for many reasons, you'd be surprised how many do it on a different account and keep it a secret from their guilds. It's not just "chinese farmers" doing it as a job, it's also regular players who don't want to spend the time farming mats or honor. The fact that this person (if he is botting) is also contributing to your gbank isn't really evidence one way or the other. Sometimes people do "nice" things but go about them in an extremely wrong way.
Reply Quote
70 Draenei Shaman
Report them and let blizz figure it out. You really will never know.. unless the guy admits to it. But you job is not to investigate it is to report, Investigation is Blizz's job and they are the only ones who can and should do it.
Reply Quote
31 Night Elf Rogue
Don't kick yet-- just report that you suspect something suspicious because of the materials brought in. They'll check out the account (and any other accounts associated with their email/ credit card, isp etc) -- and look for things like bots, hacks, or gold buying. If the character doesn't log in for awhile, or "unknown has left the guild"-- you know what happened.
If nothing happens-- no harm, no foul, and they will be none the wiser. Be sure, however you don't find things missing from your bank-- or characters that have long since been inactive all of a sudden showing up on the guild roster and not speaking. If they are hackers, they could be just storing goods, and looking for inactive accounts to hack.

Raevenne, I think you're probably right that reporting is my only option, and I certainly will. First I'm gathering as much info as possible.

Don't want to arbitrarily gkick without stronger evidence.

Thanks again.
Edited by Narsa on 7/25/2012 7:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I wouldn't jump to the botter conclusion yet. Most botters do what they do to make money. Not gold in game, but money. Usually by selling items for mass quantities of gold and then selling the gold.

Botters do not typically donate their mats to the guild.

Remember, people play this game for all different kinds of reasons. Some people truly love farming. They could farm on 2-3 accounts and be content for hours the way some of us raid.

At the same time, only you are getting an idea of 'vast quantities.' 150 stacks in an hour is very suspicious. But if they have a number of people working at it, its doable. Maybe they have their own syndication where they are trying to gold cap toons and working together to do so. Or maybe they are botting.

You have the right idea to keep digging and getting some info and then putting in the ticket. Unfortunately, you'll never know from blizz. Blizzards stance is period bans en masse. They also will not respond with any kind of a 'thank you, we've determined this is a bot and have taken appropriate action.'

You will really never know unless you get some kind of admittance from them. Go with your gut as far as allowing them to stay in your guild.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
If I was in your position,

I would warn the botter,

>>>>fast forward>>>>

usually it's gonna ended up me /gkicking the botter
Reply Quote
I bet anything your Lebn from Dwarf shortage
Reply Quote
34 Orc Hunter
Thank you all for your time and comments. In general I'm taking a watch and see attitude, he certainly seems to be a positive addition to the guild.

07/26/2012 06:08 AMPosted by Mulrakh
PS You're not anonymus. Anyone with a certain firefox addon can see all the alts you've posted on. Including the GM toon

Interesting, as I'm also posting from a different account---because I know about the addon. Does that addon also take into account isp addresses or something?

ps @ Mulrakh: You're rather an unpleasant person aren't you?
Edited by Jynxton on 7/26/2012 5:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I guess it comes down to your values.

Myself decent person who does not want to spend hours making gold. Lets not forget AH scanning addons mailbox addons are allowed. I would be more curious about what they do with the materials. Are they selling them for cash or are they keeping ten toons geared ready to raid.

Botters bot for many different reasons the ones I have know don't sell gold for cash. They are usually adults who know what they need to be succesful at certain aspects of this game. They do not do it to hurt the economy or guildies.

Just my two cents
Reply Quote
1 Night Elf Hunter
Interesting, as I'm also posting from a different account---because I know about the addon. Does that addon also take into account isp addresses or something?

If you're using the firefox one:

http://cogshanks.org/faq.html#delist

I think it records your alts regardless of which account you use, if you have it enabled on your browser. I delisted my account on their site via the instructions and it has worked for me (I tested it by using another account to verify my alts weren't still showing up and they weren't-- if you test it this way, make sure you are logged into bnet on your opposite account). You will still be able to see alts of other people if you delist yourself, they just won't see yours if they are running the addon.

The chrome variant probably has a similar option to be delisted.

hope that helps!

Also I think it's a good idea that you've chosen to observe for now... and report if your concerns persist. Honestly, I do have to say it seems highly irregular that a botter would choose to donate mats to a gbank instead of profit from them.
Edited by Hateskids on 7/26/2012 8:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]