Getting back into Comics

90 Undead Warlock
hi everyone, i need some advice on where i need to go to start getting back into comics.

i dont live near any comic book stores and honestly i would like something to take with me on the go

i hear tablets are a good device for this but is one of the 7" tablets good for reading a comic, and what are some good apps and sites for comics

thanx
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
ComiXcology.

DC is about a year into their universe reboot so it's actually not a bad time to get in on their books, very little baggage to deal with. I'm not a big fan of the Marvel books but I hear they might be rebooting their universe a bit soon too (not a 100% reboot like DC did but they are preping a really good jumping on point). I think both companies are doing same day Digital Delivery

http://www.comixology.com/DC_Comics
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Back in the days, I used to collect Sonic the Hedgehog Archie comics
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I would agree with ComiXcology. The app works for computers, iphones etc... and your comics and linked to your account not whatever you downloaded it to.

I read a good chunk of Animal Man and some Batman on my iphone and, while it was a touch small, it was still a good read and I enjoyed it. The downside being that it's harder to flip back and forth because you click through each panel (at least on iphone).

The DC reboot is a good time to start. I started reading comics again for the first time in like ... 15 years and I'm loving it.

- Batman is on one of it's best runs in history. Start with #1 on the court of owls.
- Animal Man is really good
- Aquaman is also surprisingly good
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I can attest that Batman and Animal Man are both good. Other recent comics to look for:

Fables-Probably the best fantasy comic still, and it's got numerous awards. Quite easy to pick up the graphic novels and go through them. Fairest, a spin-off of Fables is also a great read thus far.
Locke and Key-Just recently got the first graphic novel, and I enjoyed it alot. If you haven't read anything by Joe Hill before, he's good.
Saga-New comic by Brian K. Vaughan, about two ex-soldiers from opposite sides in a space-war that get married and have a kid.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I suspect that I'd be really disappointed if I tried to get back into comics these days. I started with the standard Marvel/DC stuff in the late 70's, but by the time I quit collecting in the 90's I was mostly into independent stuff; The Tick, Madman, and numerous other smalltime publishers. Are independent publishers still a thing these days, or has it all gone the way of webcomics? Not that I have anything against webcomics, it's just not the same as a full issue monthly/semi-monthly read.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
01/09/2013 03:29 PMPosted by Fahzhi
I suspect that I'd be really disappointed if I tried to get back into comics these days. I started with the standard Marvel/DC stuff in the late 70's, but by the time I quit collecting in the 90's I was mostly into independent stuff; The Tick, Madman, and numerous other smalltime publishers. Are independent publishers still a thing these days, or has it all gone the way of webcomics? Not that I have anything against webcomics, it's just not the same as a full issue monthly/semi-monthly read.

Independent stuff is always a mixed bag.

Dark Horse always has great stuff

Zenescope's stuff is something I only just started reading and isn't bad, little on the "Women are extra sexy" side of the fence, but it also has a lot of creepy, twisted, scary looking stuff. Going to get Sleepy Hollow next time I'm in the comic store. Their Headless Horseman looks character design looks great

IDW is for Geek book. I enjoyed the Dr. Who/Star Trek crossover but that was just a mini series (though with a nice ending that screams to be continued) and they have a new Dr. Who story coming featuring 11 incarnations. They also do Transformers and Ninja Turtles
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Comixology is a dream come true for non super serious comic book fans. If you are stuck on the idea of it being on a screen and not in your hand and you can't get past that, then there really isn't anything to change your mind. But if you don't care about that, comixology has sales all the time, the prices are good, and it looks amazing on an ipad!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Oh F.....

The Red Skull is now the most powerful telepath on earth.

that is all kinds of bad.
Reply Quote
89 Worgen Hunter
Saga from Image Comics. It is only on issue 8 and it is amzing. Also, for reading on my tablet I got the ComicRack app, it works like a charm.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
01/08/2013 08:21 AMPosted by Kurnea
Saga-New comic by Brian K. Vaughan, about two ex-soldiers from opposite sides in a space-war that get married and have a kid.

When I come back home from my current work trip, I have all five "Y: The Last Man" duluxe editions waiting for me at home. I think my first weekend back is going to be gorging on some Vaughn.
Reply Quote
There are several titles that recently started that have a lot of people talking

saga

x-men; legacy

dial H for hero

demon knights

hickmans avengers

hellboy in hell.

this is a small list but there are plenty of other recent stuff that's really good.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
There are several titles that recently started that have a lot of people talking

saga

x-men; legacy

dial H for hero

demon knights

hickmans avengers

hellboy in hell.

this is a small list but there are plenty of other recent stuff that's really good.

X-Men: Legacy and Dial H both really surprised me with how good they turned out.
Reply Quote
69 Pandaren Monk
I've been reading some graphic novels on my 7" Kindle Fire HD. The pages can be a bit small but if you double tap a panel, you can see it larger. I've been reading Saga, Walking Dead, Green Lantern, Batman, Batwoman, The Incredible Hulk (love the new take on the Hulk), The Unwritten, 9th Season of Buffy, and sad to see The Boys wrapup.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I can't speak on using tablets for comics from personal experience, but I know people who do and they like it. One of the downsides seems to be that Marvel's digital comics are roughly 6 months behind what they have in print.

For current comics, I agree with the recommendations above concerning X-Men: Legacy and The Unwritten. Additionally I really like Uncanny X-Men right now, and I'm curious to see where the current All New X-Men storyline is going.

Finally, one that has really caught my attention is the current Thor series. It's Thor in 3 different periods in time fighting this guy who goes around the universe killing gods.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]