For those of us who like art :3

90 Human Warlock
Hehe, artpad is fun! n_n
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
07/21/2012 02:00 AMPosted by Märksman

Monsieur! you are a masterpiece!
http://artpad.art.com/gallery/?m7i0t31ky0uk

dude wtf i told you to draw me first, go to hell noob.

Marksman, you're bad. Go away.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
07/21/2012 01:45 AMPosted by Bláckknight
what ever happened to good ol pencil and paper?

i use pencil and paper a lot actually. i love both digital and traditional styles of art.
Venneccablind.deviantart.com

07/21/2012 02:00 AMPosted by Märksman
dude wtf i told you to draw me first, go to hell noob.

and i chose not to... mostly because i dont like you....for obvious reasons.

Do any other artists feel annoyed when people tell you your art is awesome when you aren't even remotely satisfied (or think it looks terrible by your standards)?

People seem to praise my art often, even the ones I clearly know I've screwed up with. And it drives me crazy sometimes. D:

yes i know how you feel. a good critique gives advice and helps you improve. "i like it" isnt feedback at all IMO. drives me crazy too. when people say "i like it" to me, i ALWAYS say "what makes you say that?" and explain my definition of feedback to them. gives them a whole outlook on the piece, if not art in general.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Do any other artists feel annoyed when people tell you your art is awesome when you aren't even remotely satisfied (or think it looks terrible by your standards)?

People seem to praise my art often, even the ones I clearly know I've screwed up with. And it drives me crazy sometimes. D:

That doesn't exactly happen with my drawings so much, if a person praises my art I'm just glad they like it, but I'll still complain about what I did wrong in my own little rant. I do completely know how you feel though, that's happened to me with other things, just not so much art yet :P
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
07/21/2012 02:23 AMPosted by Vennecca
yes i know how you feel. a good critique gives advice and helps you improve. "i like it" isnt feedback at all IMO. drives me crazy too. when people say "i like it" to me, i ALWAYS say "what makes you say that?" and explain my definition of feedback to them. gives them a whole outlook on the piece, if not art in general.

By now, I've come to accept that I will never get a proper critique on devART. I would likely have to venture to conceptart.org for that, but I'm nervous about posting at such a professional place.

07/21/2012 02:24 AMPosted by Eidala
That doesn't exactly happen with my drawings so much, if a person praises my art I'm just glad they like it, but I'll still complain about what I did wrong in my own little rant. I do completely know how you feel though, that's happened to me with other things, just not so much art yet :P

I guess I get it more often because I draw a lot of fanart of popular series.

I still get people commenting on an fan artwork I did about 4 years ago and I never even finished it (or going to)! I guess its probably out of courtesy or because they don't believe they can make similar quality work. Which is a shame because making amateur quality art isn't that difficult. O.o

I guess it's all part of our never-ending journey to improve ourselves. I think its going to be a long time before I will admit that my works is as good as they claim and not be lying to myself. Haha :D
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
07/21/2012 02:34 AMPosted by Zyliros
By now, I've come to accept that I will never get a proper critique on devART. I would likely have to venture to conceptart.org for that, but I'm nervous about posting at such a professional place.

i hate conceptart.
a "critique" there usually sounds like this:

"this piece lacks the .............and furthermore......... so i suggest you go back to deviantart where you belong"

nothing about helping people improve.... mostly just about how much better they are.

your best place for a critique is probably going to be your local art community. even in a dinky town like where i live, there is an artists guild. Hell, i would go to the highschool teachers in my town for a critique. their whole mindset is about helping you improve, and they are educated in it. I am lucky though and went to a school where AP art AND IB art were taught by the same teacher....at the same time. i still go to her for critiques even though she has retired and i am long past highschool.

if you dont feel like going to local high schools, try a college? im sure that a community college professor would love to give you a few tips here and there, and if you are taking a class there, meet them outside of class for a mass critique on all your pieces :3

07/21/2012 02:34 AMPosted by Zyliros
I guess it's all part of our never-ending journey to improve ourselves. I think its going to be a long time before I will admit that my works is as good as they claim and not be lying to myself. Haha :D

dont you ever stop improving! even when youre the best...

if you want i can recommend a book to you. Its called "drawing on the right side of the brain" and i follow it like the bible of art. its all about using both sides of your brain to create art. training your brain to communicate with your hand to draw what you see(your logical side), and training your hand to communicate with your brain to draw something you might NOT have right in front of you(your creative side). it even has a chapter about how most adults draw like children.......because they lost inspiration and motivation when they were children. you can have a PHD and still draw like a child....because you pursued a PHD instead of your art....

anyway. great book.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Marksman....
if i draw you....
will you be nicer to people?

here.
http://artpad.art.com/gallery/?m7i7pa1alz94

happy now? silly goblin.... bet it will be all better in a week when she stops bleeding....
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
07/21/2012 02:44 AMPosted by Vennecca
Hell, i would go to the highschool teachers in my town for a critique. their whole mindset is about helping you improve, and they are educated in it.

Not all teachers are, sadly...

I remember having a teacher that would destroy my art pieces behind my back.

I'd come into the studio, find my work destroyed... I'd ask what happened & get a response of "Oh, you didn't like it so you ruined it."

That happened multiple times, on pieces we were not allowed to remove from the studio (so I had to leave it there) -_-"

This is why now I'm so friggin' paranoid with my work D:
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
http://artpad.art.com/gallery/?m7i8qgizjsk
Marksman updated.

LOL
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
I guess I get it more often because I draw a lot of fanart of popular series.

I still get people commenting on an fan artwork I did about 4 years ago and I never even finished it (or going to)! I guess its probably out of courtesy or because they don't believe they can make similar quality work. Which is a shame because making amateur quality art isn't that difficult. O.o

I'm also quite new to drawing, until recently it was just stick figures; I've been sketching bows and arrows forever, but nothing else really lol. So it's a little bit of a different perspective. :P
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Not all teachers are, sadly...

I remember having a teacher that would destroy my art pieces behind my back.

I'd come into the studio, find my work destroyed... I'd ask what happened & get a response of "Oh, you didn't like it so you ruined it."

That happened multiple times, on pieces we were not allowed to remove from the studio (so I had to leave it there) -_-"

This is why now I'm so friggin' paranoid with my work D:

i think that its wonderful to be protective over your work. situations like that are HORRIBLE and inexcusable. something like that is BS enough to take someone to court over. after the FIRST time that that kind of thing happened... i would DEMAND to take my art home. i WOULD take my art home... whether they liked it or not. course, im the kind of person to get in a lot of trouble too....

so, obviously, dont go to a teacher like THAT to get a critique. lol.

07/21/2012 03:03 AMPosted by Märksman
reported the link for a highly offensive picture, enjoy the ban.

whats a ban?

also:
http://artpad.art.com/gallery/?m7ia34s29zg
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
07/21/2012 03:22 AMPosted by Eidala
I'm also quite new to drawing, until recently it was just stick figures; I've been sketching bows and arrows forever, but nothing else really lol. So it's a little bit of a different perspective. :P

did you see me post about that book? its for EVERYONE! great book.... love of my life.... if i could reproduce with it....i might leave my husband.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
07/21/2012 03:24 AMPosted by Vennecca
did you see me post about that book? its for EVERYONE! great book.... love of my life.... if i could reproduce with it....i might leave my husband.

I did, I was going to bug you about it over DA after I finished Meynos then I got distracted lol.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Guys i think i am addicted....
http://artpad.art.com/gallery/?m7ib2sgk540

TO THE ART PAD THING GUYS! get your mind out of the gutter! XD
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]