Arena Tournament

85 Human Priest
So I was in skype with bootz and magnifico last night while we were doing 3s and a few of our friends were doing wargames, and the thought dawned on me... why doesn't maestrom host arena tournaments through wargames? Could be a drawn up ladder with a seed matchup system, and maybe even a prize pool for 1st 2nd and 3rd.

World PvP is the main attraction of maelstrom with NRU and HSF/some other horde guids randomly smashing in to each other every so often, so why not change it up a little bit and do some arena for a change? Both factions can participate with a little organization, and maybe a few of us who are sort of high end would sit out of the actual ranking but still play in it for fun.

Let me know what you guys think, if there's decent support i'll try and set some time aside to prepare for it and start setting things up.

(Keep in mind characters can be from any server, from different server/faction combo's will be quite difficult to set up.)

Please post your thoughts and suggestions!
Edited by Phooze on 7/23/2012 11:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
This is a damn good idea!
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
What a stuuuuuuuuuuuuuupENDOUS idea!
Thought I was gonna say stupid, right? ;)
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Sounds like an amazing idea d00d, but what would the prize pools be? like cash... or large amounts of gold? :P
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
oh good... something else for the 1 handful of friends who are awesome at arenas to trash us in and make us wanna uninstall superrrrrrr. ;)
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
07/23/2012 11:36 PMPosted by Matches
Sounds like an amazing idea d00d, but what would the prize pools be? like cash... or large amounts of gold? :P

That's a good question, I'd have no problem forking up some money, maybe each team that signs up needs to contribute a small amount and we'll see how much interest we have and make the prize pools from there!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I love this idea! It's gonna be sick if we're able to pull it off :P
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
oh good... something else for the 1 handful of friends who are awesome at arenas to trash us in and make us wanna uninstall superrrrrrr. ;)

07/23/2012 11:32 PMPosted by Phooze
and maybe a few of us who are sort of high end would sit out of the actual ranking but still play in it for fun.

:P
Reply Quote
87 Human Priest
I think you're onto something! I think this would be a great idea. War Games are actually pretty fun and you don't lose any rating so people don't get super pissy.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Well, I like the idea but here are a few this you need to think of is in actual wargames how will we know how won without things such as stream because not everyone computers have it/ can support it without lag. Another thing i dont know How you would set the ranks up but if its just one big pool, i feel as if you should do gold because your going to have less competitors if not youll also have to watch for scams! are you going to be doing like an "entry feel" so you know winners get there gold and such? so if not by war games could we use a certain arena matching area on the actual realm? i know im ALL over the place im tired and brain thinks about so many at once it never finishes a thought! so if you don't understand me you have me ID:P
Reply Quote
I have a feeling all the !@#$%^-s of Maelstrom *cough* Oc *cough* will come to this and troll.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
07/23/2012 11:50 PMPosted by Starlìghit
Well, I like the idea but here are a few this you need to think of is in actual wargames how will we know how won without things such as stream because not everyone computers have it/ can support it without lag.

Uhmmmm in the current tournys that people run. The leaders of the tourney usually join queue for every match and take turns doing this but join the arena as well and die then spectate as ghost. Also as you said we could go to the nagrand arena and whoever wishes to spectate could spectate.

07/23/2012 11:50 PMPosted by Starlìghit
Another thing i dont know How you would set the ranks up but if its just one big pool, i feel as if you should do gold because your going to have less competitors if not youll also have to watch for scams!

When the deadline for teams are set, write all the names down of all of the teams and throw them in a hat and make a bracket - I also agree the fee should be gold, not real cash because scams are possible and we'll receive more entries if its gold and not real cash.

I like all the questions, it sorts everything out :)
Edited by Tazzlol on 7/24/2012 12:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
87 Human Priest
It'll probably be gold. Real Money would be too much hassle imo pluuuus most people are broke and play WoW to save some money :P
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
It would be nice if it was like classic wow, playing our own realm, getting into the same bgs so we could get a chance to play with one another. Everyone wants to play instead of waiting for other teams to finish or getting picked last for a team. It would be fun to have something out in the world like Gurubashi where people could watch easier.
I'd still rather have a kind of the hill battle of world pvp personally cause arena and rbgs already give titles for people to walk around SW letting the realm know it happened. Like you guys are great I know you'd win at arena.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
I will eat all of your faces! btw I call phooze and bootz on my team!

jk obviously..............................................................................................................I want swifty!
Edited by Calihye on 7/24/2012 4:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
88 Undead Priest
Good Idea.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Sweet, then it wont only be superior numbers that kill us, it'll be fotm comps @_@
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
@Starlight, @Spenca, @Variante
The prize pool would definitely consist of gold, nothing huge because i'm not rich, and it depends on how many teams are actually interested to contribute to the prize pool, if anyone else wants to contribute or put up any other kind of prizes that would be awesome!

As for spectating, we have someone who can stream in high quality, I'm also considering organizing casters or casting it myself with someone else to help people keep track of the ebb and flow of the game and calling out things people may not notice, and just watching people fight with game sound probably would get boring after awhile.

Also, as convenient as holding this tournament in the open world would be, there would most likely be some kind of interference from people trying to troll the event, so wargames would be 100% secure and official, I'll try to get a hold of someone in my guild to get the professional spectator addon they use for the NAO tournaments and such.

And for anyone concerned about us just sweeping the tourny, we won't be actually part of the ladder stages and such, we may throw ourselves in to the hat to match ourselves up for fun, but the matches would have no negative or positive effect on the team we fought.

@Ozrek
I really don't think there's any FOTM comps that we would need to worry about, it's not like maelstrom consists of enough people to actually consist of multiple "counter" comps and such, i'm hoping it will just be a friendly tournament for people to play in with their friends and gain slight bragging rights, and these could be held as often as people were interested, I just want something for people to do outside of constantly throwing themselves at their opposing factions city for a change.

ps: the only real fotm comp right now is rls, and triple dps won't be allowed

@Successfull
Thanks!
Edited by Phooze on 7/24/2012 8:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
any particular bracket?
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
3v3, although if people really wanted 2v2s... lol
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]