World of Warcraft's relation to DK Murders?

90 Dwarf Shaman
I'm sure everyone has heard of the terrible tragedy that happened in Colorado during the Dark Knight premier, and that really was a tragedy. I can't even imagine the horror and pain that people are going through.

I was reading an article related to that and someone who was familiar with the accused was quoted as saying the following:

“Sometimes during the lab when he was supposed to be reading a paper or something like that, I would see him playing online role-playing video games, like World of Warcraft, League of Legends,” he said, but nothing to suggest any serious violent tendencies.

It is really tiring to hear games like World of Warcraft be given negative connotations. I know that he goes on to say that this doesn't suggest violent tendencies... but I think that the implication is there and its pretty obvious. Additionally, I don't think anyone can deny that games like WoW, Guild Wars, etc. are pretty heavily stigmatized by people that do not play them.

What is it about these games that makes in any worse than hundreds of other activities and hobbies that people engage in? Is it just a societal misunderstanding?
Edited by Tipride on 7/20/2012 9:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight

What is it about these games that makes in any worse than hundreds of other activities and hobbies that people engage in? Is it just a societal misunderstanding?

That, I'd say. Misunderstanding. People seeing links where there are none. It happens a lot.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
07/20/2012 09:35 PMPosted by Tipride
Additionally, I don't think anyone can deny that games like WoW, Guild Wars, etc. are pretty heavily stigmatized by people that do not play them.

I think it is exactly that. Sometimes people looking for answers, especially in a tragic situations like this where there is no obvious answer, and are ready to try to dig up some sort of connection. I'm sure this guy did a lot of stuff in his free time that are more socially widespread and understood. For example, he's probably played some sort of sport in his lifetime, and sports can get mean and/or violent. Yet no one is pointing at that sport as a root cause.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
People will always try to blame it on something else. Rather then believe some people are just off their rocker. I nearly got into an argument in real life to this because someone wanted to blame the movie.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter

This is the meaning-making process that is a part of grieving - people groping to explain inexplicable tragedies. Rather than believe that this is the result of someone behaving like an absurdist, people will seek to explain the behavior in ways that can be regulated or blamed. This is why you'll see every news outlet using it to spark political controversy regarding gun control, for example. It's just a manifestation of the just-world fallacy.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I'm sure everyone has heard of the terrible tragedy that happened in Colorado during the Dark Knight premier, and that really was a tragedy. I can't even imagine the horror and pain that people are going through.

I was reading an article related to that and someone who was familiar with the accused was quoted as saying the following:

“Sometimes during the lab when he was supposed to be reading a paper or something like that, I would see him playing online role-playing video games, like World of Warcraft, League of Legends,” he said, but nothing to suggest any serious violent tendencies.

It is really tiring to hear games like World of Warcraft be given negative connotations. I know that he goes on to say that this doesn't suggest violent tendencies... but I think that the implication is there and its pretty obvious. Additionally, I don't think anyone can deny that games like WoW, Guild Wars, etc. are pretty heavily stigmatized by people that do not play them.

You'd have to take that quote pretty far out of context to construe it as blaming his video game habits. The quote clearly indicates that while it's not usual for someone to play video games instead of what they're supposed to be doing in the lab, it's not the sort of thing you'd think of provoking a mass murder.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman

You'd have to take that quote pretty far out of context to construe it as blaming his video game habits. The quote clearly indicates that while it's not usual for someone to play video games instead of what they're supposed to be doing in the lab, it's not the sort of thing you'd think of provoking a mass murder.

I understand what you're saying, but I think there is some sort of implication. Additionally, I don't think the quote itself is indicating that its not "unusual". The speaker obviously tossed in the "role playing" bit make it sound like playing those games is everything but "normal". Perhaps it really is something I should just take at face value, but he obviously felt (as did the editors and journalists) that playing World of Warcraft is important enough to include in an article, and a relevant piece of information for something concerning mass murder. If they didn't see a significance in it, why include that?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Video games don't make kids want to go shoot up their school or a movie theater. Video games are NOT to blame. I play this a lot, but I've never touched a gun or any weapon in real life. I do enjoy killing things in the game, but that doesn't make me a monster outside. People need to realize that Video Games are not making killers, bad parents, or bad influences outside the family are influencing people to do stupid stuff. I don't care if studies ever show that people who have gone on a killing rampage all played some sort of gun game. It's just easiest to blame games I guess, but I'll never blame games for violence. I blame kids and their stupidity or stupid parents!
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
no one is to blame except for the person who committed the crime, personal responsibility is such a foreign concept nowadays sadly:O(
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Paladin
When I was younger it used to be rock music and cartoons like Bugs Bunny that people blamed for when someone would whack out and do violence. Now it's video games. People will always look for something to blame/explain why someone would do something so terrible. The truth is, some people will always do things that defy logic or basic human kindness. No one is to blame but the perpetrator.
Reply Quote
45 Dwarf Warrior
Because it's in vogue.

It's simple to show how bad the argument is.

Violent crime is at nearly 50 year record lows in the United States, in both youth and adults, starting with a radical shift in the early 1990s during record high crime statistics that have been plummeting, we are now back to the crime rate we had before the spike seen in the 1960s. This is a well known and indisputable fact.

The drop in crime correlates with the spike in violent video games in the 90s if anything if you want to start making off the cuff comparisons.

It's clear to legitimate psychologists and criminal behaviorists why these spree killings have been taking place since Columbine. It's due to the media's willingness to saturate the public in 24 hour media coverage, and it's due to the public's desire to watch the media's 24 hour saturation news style. It offers the chance at a legacy for those prone to this behavior.

If the media would make their reporting of these events as minimal and as boring as possible, the copy cat killings would all but vanish.

Running amok is a very old behavior in human society, and you can find in many societies that there are popularized acts in the group zeitgiest that people expect to happen when you "flip out". It's almost a tradition.

Whether it's men in China attacking elementary schools with knives or postal workers killing their whole office and then committing suicide, these murder sprees are not new, and they have NOTHING to do with violent entertainment.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I understand what you're saying, but I think there is some sort of implication. Additionally, I don't think the quote itself is indicating that its not "unusual". The speaker obviously tossed in the "role playing" bit make it sound like playing those games is everything but "normal". Perhaps it really is something I should just take at face value, but he obviously felt (as did the editors and journalists) that playing World of Warcraft is important enough to include in an article, and a relevant piece of information for something concerning mass murder. If they didn't see a significance in it, why include that?

Spelling out "role playing game" does not necessarily carry a negative connotation in an article. When writing for a wide audience, you can't assume every reader knows what the acronym "RPG" stands for. Or is.

It's not unusual for a high profile suspect like that to have aspects of his life scrutinized. If he played golf, hunted, etc you'd probably see those being mentioned. Apparently he spent alot of time playing online games, which isn't all that unusual for his age bracket. Sure, negative connotations can be made about his gaming habits, but I'm not seeing it in the article.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Am I allowed to necro this thread? (I guess the worst that can happen is I'll be yelled at for it).

Just my two cents worth, but I think the media's got its nose out of joint because there's an entire generation (or two) growing up not interested in their nightly news propaganda and depressing newspapers. They're losing money. Poor babies.

In any event, if WoW and other games were as culpable as they'd have ignorant non-players believe, then there would currently be 15 million (give or take one or two) psychopathic murderers, wiping out more people every so many seconds, than religion ever has. Including you and me.

Let it be known that I'd personally like to sit every media moron down in front of a pc, force them to create a character, and just play the damn game! End of problem!
Reply Quote
27 Tauren Paladin
go and watch south park's "BLAME CANADA!" song to undertand society is a bit corrupted and will do anything to believe they are always perfect and correct.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
09/30/2012 10:23 AMPosted by Bolleten
go and watch south park's "BLAME CANADA!" song to undertand society is a bit corrupted and will do anything to believe they are always perfect and correct.

"They are not even a real country anyway"
Edited by Dirona on 9/30/2012 10:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
It is my opinion that if a person can not separate reality from games or tv/movies it's not the fault of the entertainment industry it is a sign of mental illness and has nothing to do with any tv, movie, or game. People use those as scapegoats just like people use temporary insanity or mental illness as an excuse to try and get away with horrific crimes.
Reply Quote
14 Draenei Mage
They think this game is stupid the average American spends $200,000 a year on Tobacco the average Canadian spends 100,000 so who really is stupid?
Reply Quote
87 Human Rogue
10/01/2012 05:12 PMPosted by Spazztastic
It is my opinion that if a person can not separate reality from games or tv/movies it's not the fault of the entertainment industry it is a sign of mental illness and has nothing to do with any tv, movie, or game. People use those as scapegoats just like people use temporary insanity or mental illness as an excuse to try and get away with horrific crimes.
I can agree with you on this one don't blame the game blame the perpetrator who caused the tragedy
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]