Slow Typing (no seriously)

85 Night Elf Death Knight
Sorry if I offend anyone here, but I so far have only lightly RPed with some close friends of mine, so I'm not sure if our RP "meta" has just been constructed outside the norm, but whenever I RP with another person, 75% of the time there's one thing that stands out to me: they type incredibly slow. I'm asking as genuinely as I can: what are you doing to type so slow? Are you constantly in OOC whispers? Are are you just so meticulous in your story that you need to plan out the narrative so much to the point where you can't just come up with sentences on the fly.

When I RP with my friends, the experience is very freeform. We simply assume our characters and then speak at a pace that isn't especially different from how we normally speak. Is this considered odd? Because it is starting to seem odd to me.

Usually I will find a group of people at various inns talking over a drink but the conversation itself moves at a snail's pace. What gives with that?
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
I type slow because I constantly think about what I am going to say and type out something totally different. Maybe it is the 'rush' mindset because even as a child in school, I would zip through my writing assignments and yet have tons of error.

Even when I type slow, I still screw up.

I think you are being a bit too hard on people that type slow. Sometimes people just need to think about their replies or have something they want to draw attention to. There is a good chance they are also being lazy and tabbing out during RP, thus making emotes take forever.

I think you just need some patience or something. Understanding for the other party, ect. It is not really that big of a deal.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Sometimes I respond slowly because....

A.) Like you mentioned, OOC whispers or guild chat

B.) Can't think of what I would like to type

C.) I have a lot to type

Everyone is different. Unless a player takes many minutes to respond, should give them a break. If someone is constantly busy or unable to reply right away, might be a good idea to find a new RP partner.
Reply Quote
The only time I seem to rp is when it's 3am, so my typing slows down in the midst of a delusional haze.
Edited by Kronoin on 7/24/2012 2:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
My personal standard for an RP post, both giving and receiving (make a joke and I'll tear your face off), is roughly 2 minutes, and that's assuming the post is at least 1 full chat box in length.

I don't mind longer RPers as long as they can put out quality posts. I like to provide great detail with unique word choice as opposed to just throwing lines out left and right. When I'm RPing, I'm writing - not chatting - regardless of what the RP is actually of.

I understand some people want faster posts, but really give strangers more than 30 seconds to reply. They might be cooking up a post that's not "Hey how are you?".

It happened to me just earlier today, actually. Someone walked up to me, asked me a 1-line question, and I was working on responding with a decently sized emote. A few seconds before I pressed enter, the guy was already wandering off. It was barely even a minute, at most. Rather irritating.

See also, massive posts that take up entire chatboxes. Hate to break it to the people who do them, but they actually aren't that good as a stylistic method. Break them up a little, post an action, then a portion of speech. Let us read a part as you type the next. Anyone who uses 'I have a lot to type' as an excuse is, frankly, doing it in a way that makes me bored and less interested in what they ultimately have to say.

The issue with that is, how do they know when you've stopped typing? It's frustrating and/or disappointing when an idea you have, or a motion you're making, suddenly gets cut-off because someone decided to throw their own post in as you go to put in the finishing touches.

I don't have any add-ons or anything that lengthens the chat-box. For longer emotes, even if the sentence is officially finished by the end, I put in a few dashes at the end to signify that there's more to it. On VERY rare occasion do I actually post something else before my emote is "complete" if there's no hyphens in the previous one to signify that I was continuing. In that regard, you're reading a chunk of it while I'm working on the rest.

I like posting, and I like reading, quality emotes. I don't mind if it takes a little more time. Even if you can dish out emotes in the blink of an eye, if they're 1-2 lines and lack detail, I'll probably be bored and less interested no matter how much we cover.
Edited by Arfex on 7/24/2012 2:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
Sometimes my responses are speedy, sometimes slow. I have a nasty habit of multi-tasking, so even when I RP, I am usually talking in skype or even doing a seperate RP on AIM or something.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
07/24/2012 04:30 AMPosted by Everen
That's on them. They have to learn how to convey the notion that there is more to be heard, and further, how to make the other party want to hear it.

That seems a bit unreasonable to me. Everyone has their own style of writing and RPing, trying to create some way that makes it obvious that you are still typing seems like more of a hassle than anything else. When I reread some of my completed emotes, I realize that sometimes I set myself up as though there is more. Of course, a lot of times, there is! But ultimately I ended the post without any doubts (since I make all continuations perfectly clear) to give the other person involved the ability to respond and react - potentially fueling or breaking what I had in mind for the followup.

Spending time trying to figure out "well is he done posting?" is not time well spent. There are many RPers that I play with that give no sign that their post is finished, nor that it is being continued. Sometimes I wait for a few minutes on a post that certainly look like build-up for more only to find out he's been tapping his foot waiting for me to reply. That's not enjoyable for either of us, and wastes time that could have been spent typing.

Those who have even one scene of experience with me know that, even if there is lead-up for more, if there are no continuation marks that I am indeed waiting for a response before I finish. It gets rid of all doubt and makes the scenes flow smoother. I want all my attention toward the RP to actually be spent RPing seamlessly.

Quality speech and emotes do not necessarily have to be overly verbose or long. In fact, I often find that people confuse an overly flowery and lengthy post with a high-quality one.

No, of course they don't. But I am one that likes to give details. I'm not going to give a paragraph for what would happen with all five senses with each subtle movement, nor would I go rambling on with 50 different adjectives about how beautiful someone's hair looks. I still put out 1-2 paragraph (chat-box length, post, whatever term you use) long posts, more if the scene is far more intense, and it's what I like the most out of other RPers - as long as they can push out that length without me being able to alt-tab and build an entire village of dirt-box houses in Minecraft between each post.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
You didn't indicate how long the individual is taking to post, which doesn't help... but you should probably be more patient.
Reply Quote
Unlimitedchatmessage is a big one, I've noticed. Don't get me wrong, since I used the addon and love it, but I've found that people that -use- the addon seem to give off the feeling of typing slower (simply because - instead of typing one paragraph, posting so you can read while they type up another, post, etc - they write one single post that just gets broken up by the addon mechanics).

However, when I type slow (because I know I do it sometimes), it's typically because I am interviewing people for the guild OOCly (which happens a lot), get IRL aggro (kitten, dogs, husband, etc), am uninterested in the RP, alt-tabbed, or ninjafk'd.

I believe it to be a case by case basis, which most things are. When I'm interested and not getting hit with aggro from people oocly (IRL and game), I am capable of slamming out post after post as if I was the one personally doing/saying whatever my character does/says. I know a lot of people that are the same way.

/shrug

As for tavern RP going at a snails pace...
87% of the people that I know, when they RP in taverns, they're alt-tabbed doing other things as well. It's one of those places you go when you are pretty bored in game, but you're also pretty bored off of game... So you just go and do -something- to avoid flying in circles while you watch a movie or something on your dual screen.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
I don't know.

I type a lot and I type very quickly. The only thing that really makes me type slowly is either a lack of interest (this happens more now than it once did), or my attention is being called away to someone or something else.

Personally, I subscribe to the belief that there is beauty in brevity only so far as that something needn't be overly long. I find people that try to be overly concise boring and often lacking for much quality because they are more concerned with being succinct than interesting.

Type fast. Type more. Don't be boring.

I also type fairly fast and usually without too much error. Though I am FAR slower when writing independently since I like to pick and choose my words, grammar choice, content and so on, I like to apply my writing skills and knowledge to my RPing as well. I am no where near a good of an RPer as I am a writer (I'm not measuring - just comparing), but I do stop to think for word choice. Errors I rarely correct if I already type past it before it is noticed, unless it is vital to the understanding of the post. Thankfully my pinky loves the backspace and I correct a lot of my obvious errors purely by instinct.

1-2 minute window for the first full-box post is reasonable, I think. I never really take very long with my continuation posts since the emote and dialog is already flowing smoothly by that point - and I can usually complete (or post the next to-be-continued chunk) in well under a minute.

Some situations I might take a little longer. That 1-2 minute thing is also assuming there is at least one other minor thing that has some of my attention. If my posts are averaging anything above 2 minutes, I'll either try to find a way to speed myself up (risking post length and/or quality), or politely inform the people I'm RPing with that my attention is divided and see whether or not they want to continue.

Unlimitedchatmessage is a big one, I've noticed. Don't get me wrong, since I used the addon and love it, but I've found that people that -use- the addon seem to give off the feeling of typing slower (simply because - instead of typing one paragraph, posting so you can read while they type up another, post, etc - they write one single post that just gets broken up by the addon mechanics).

I agree with this right here quite a bit. While the mod is certainly handy and has it's place - great for OOC conversations that might be of high importance that you really can't just "break-off" if you want your message to get across, but RP it's more irritating to be on the other end.

I can usually adjust myself mentally to expect more delay between posts, with the benefit of knowing that the posts are indeed of a decent length. If someone spits out a 2-paragraph long post and it took about 4 minutes from the last, then it's still averaging to be the same, just feels slower.

At that point I usually bring up something in the background that holds my attention in spurts for a few minutes at a time.
Edited by Arfex on 7/24/2012 5:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
If your RP is worth waiting for, then I'll sit around and wait for it all day.
Reply Quote
I agree with this right here quite a bit. While the mod is certainly handy and has it's place - great for OOC conversations that might be of high importance that you really can't just "break-off" if you want your message to get across, but RP it's more irritating to be on the other end.

I can usually adjust myself mentally to expect more delay between posts, with the benefit of knowing that the posts are indeed of a decent length. If someone spits out a 2-paragraph long post and it took about 4 minutes from the last, then it's still averaging to be the same, just feels slower.

At that point I usually bring up something in the background that holds my attention in spurts for a few minutes at a time.

I agree, in every sense.
To be honest, I absolutely hated the addon when my RP friends started using it, because I didn't understand it, and I was like "HNNNNGH SO MUCH AT ONCE!" but now that it's something I'm comfortable with, I find it to be rather handy.

I have it in my MRP that I use the addon, so that people will know about it before hand - and I also post something along the lines of "/e is using Unlimitedchatmessage, so it will be a moment before her post.))" if I am typing a lot to a new group of people, or someone that I know doesn't use MRP/TRP. I try to remember my manners and let everyone know, so no one is waiting without prior knowledge.

In my opinion, it also helps when there are trolls/spammers around, and you are having an in-depth RP with someone. A friend of mine and I were RPing in Mage District and we picked up tavern chat. They didn't have the addon, so every paragraph they would post would get lost in the spam of people 'lol'ing or '/lick'ing one another. Made it hard to keep focused, but all my posts were clumped together.
... They got the addon halfway through that RP. XD

07/24/2012 05:58 AMPosted by Morwen
If your RP is worth waiting for, then I'll sit around and wait for it all day.

Also, this. ^
Edited by Rinmey on 7/24/2012 6:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
I like to take my time if it's something I'm genuinely interested in (ie: adventure/paranormal/exploring). I understand that you're frustrated that your friends are "typing slow", but this is roleplay. There is a certain amount of give and take that you need to develop a tolerance for. Personally, I can't stand roleplaying with a person who is so antsy that they will do the following:

Them: /tar Systar /wave
Them: Good day to you, sir.
Them: How are you?
Me: /e Systar slowly turns around and smirks at the newcomer. "Is it-- (interrupted)
Them: What a fantastic shirt you're wearing!
Me: *Backspace all text*
Me: Thanks.

In fact, I've made it a point to not play with anyone who cannot wait for my emote response because it is such a huge pet peeve of mine. It's rude. Inconsiderate. And shows that they are not interested in roleplaying two different characters, instead they'd rather just me read about their character.

Edit: I've also noticed this particular event happening a lot more frequently since I came back to Moon Guard. Not something I'm too thrilled about.
Edited by Systar on 7/24/2012 6:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
I like to take my time if it's something I'm genuinely interested in (ie: adventure/paranormal/exploring). I understand that you're frustrated that your friends are "typing slow", but this is roleplay. There is a certain amount of give and take that you need to develop a tolerance for. Personally, I can't stand roleplaying with a person who is so antsy that they will do the following:

Them: /tar Systar /wave
Them: Good day to you, sir.
Them: How are you?
Me: /e Systar slowly turns around and smirks at the newcomer. "Is it-- (interrupted)
Them: What a fantastic shirt you're wearing!
Me: *Backspace all text*
Me: Thanks.

In fact, I've made it a point to not play with anyone who cannot wait for my emote response because it is such a huge pet peeve of mine. It's rude. Inconsiderate. And shows that they are not interested in roleplaying two different characters, instead they'd rather just me read about their character.

Yes.

This 100%.
Reply Quote

Yes.

This 100%.

Ayup.

It also bothers me if the person is trying to predict my posts. As soon as I hit enter (literally) they hit enter with the first part of their emote. Don't get me wrong, moving quickly is great and all, but it makes me feel like the person isn't even reading my post and is just pin-pointing the conversation and responding.

Feels bad.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
It also bothers me if the person is trying to predict my posts. As soon as I hit enter (literally) they hit enter with the first part of their emote. Don't get me wrong, moving quickly is great and all, but it makes me feel like the person isn't even reading my post and is just pin-pointing the conversation and responding.

Feels bad.

I'm guilty of this from time to time, but not to the extreme. I generally try to have a general idea of where I want to go with my next post, and sometimes I might type the first bit of it that probably wouldn't change regardless of their content, just to keep things moving. In the case that it does, I might play it out as though it was unexpected.

By that I mean, I might have my character planning on giving an explanation on something. Perhaps he already said the first few sentences, and I gave the others involved a chance to respond, though he clearly has more to say. I might start it off by mentioning that he appears to open his mouth as though to speak - but then choose against it because of what someone else said or did. Basically instead of just forming an emote exclusively based on the response of my previous one, I try to combine what was happening in my last post with the events of the next to give the scene a more realistic flow.

People interrupt people, purposefully and accidentally. This method allows for things like that to occur.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I type quickly. I also make lots of mistakes. I am not the world's best typist. As long as people don't crucify me for my horrid typing skills, I will respond as fast or as slow as they want.

I'm also on the same boat as "bigger is not better." Those really long multi-paragraph emotes make me lose interest pretty quickly, as I have the attention span of a gerbil. No, really I do. My guild leaders will verify this. (Apparently, I also sing, giggle, and during Tol Barad, cackle and hum... just like a merry little bell.)

I like to keep my emotes short and sweet, to the point, and restricted to what other people can actually observe. Then again, that's just me. It's not that I mind paragraph RPers, I don't. It's just that I have to read through everything they just posted. Meanwhile, they're going, "((Are you still there?))"

Me: "((Yeah, gimme a minute. I'm still reading.))"

They emote so much it's like I can't get a word in edgewise. How is it your orc is already doing ALL that stuff and my goblin is just standing there watching this intricate display?! Luckily, my bubblegum-smacking, lipstick-wearing goblin doesn't tend to attract too many paragraph RPers.

As far as tavern RP being excruciatingly slow, several things could be happening: scrolling through everyone else's stuff to find yours and then respond, tabbing out to look things up, RL aggro, in-game guild or friend aggro, etc. Because I often miss responses from other people amidst all the chat in taverns, I don't do much tavern RP.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]