I know a voidwalker is a "tank".... but

(Locked)

I get what you are saying, and did the same thing when i was a noob.

BUT there is 0 reason to use a VW in a group. When you get higher level you can spec into fel Synergy and your imp wont die all the time.

That said, for now i Really think demo is the spec for you. Its alot like destro more nukes but you also get a felguard (which is alot more durable than any demon save voidwalker) and you can have fel syn right now.

Yes once raiding you ideally should pet swap with felpuppy as needed but for 5mans you can ignore that if you want and just use Felguard.
100 Human Warrior
No one tanks in a void :)
90 Night Elf Death Knight
This reminds me of something in the blood sticky over on the DK forums.

CAN I DUEL[sic] WIELD?

er... Can I use the void walker as a DPS pet?

Sure. Warlocks have the ability to use void walkers. Void as a DPS, however, comes with the following stipulations:

- There is no situation in which the void walker will be equal to or better than using fel puppy or imp.
- There is no support within the talent tree structure for DPSing with a void walker.
- There is little to no support within the WoW commuinty for using voidwalker as a dps pet.

Using the void walker is, therefore, is a deliberate underpowering of your character for the sake of style. Do it if you want to hold your group back, because this is the only thing you will accomplish.

Edited by Tritonis on 7/26/2012 9:23 PM PDT
90 Tauren Paladin
07/27/2012 06:23 AMPosted by Feanorion
Also, the Voidwalker is even a horrendous failure as a tank. It can't hold threat off of my Warlock's multi-dotting: no Shadowbolts. Just Agony+Corruption+UA.

Have you tried it since they updated the Voidwalker's abilities? It has a high-threat damaging attack and a proper taunt now.

I haven't played a warlock in a long time so I have no idea how well they work though. :/
90 Human Paladin
Hey, picking flowers really gets you a lot of aggro. ;) "Darn kids, get off my lawn!"
85 Gnome Death Knight
There is a reason you select DPS when you enter the dungeon cue. Your job is to deal damage and make things die, having the voidwalker out is telling everyone on the team, "I like purple. I'm not going to pull my weight, but I'm going to not do it in style."

Use a DPS pet, do more damage, make the dungeon faster. Use the voidwalker when you are solo.
87 Worgen Warlock
Just wanted to follow up......

I took your advice and started using my imp ( I know, and have always known ) it was the minnion I should be using. It seems to be doing a much better job at this level. However, it still does die in instances.... It died 2x today.

I'll keep using it, but I sure miss the big blue guy.
97 Pandaren Warrior
Just wanted to follow up......

I took your advice and started using my imp ( I know, and have always known ) it was the minnion I should be using. It seems to be doing a much better job at this level. However, it still does die in instances.... It died 2x today.

I'll keep using it, but I sure miss the big blue guy.

How is your imp dying?

Unless its on aggressive running off on its own pulling stuff.

It should never do enough dps by itself to pull aggro
87 Draenei Paladin
Thanks..... not a troll.... I just have a deep affinity for my voidwalker.

No biggie.... I will use the the felhunter. I absolutely despise my imp.

You're imp should be your DPS buddy though in Destro :(

The only time I honestly care about the void walker is when I'm leveling a tank (such as my baby Druid) and the taunt isn't turned off on them. Even then though I just show my displeasure by letting the blueberry die.

Otherwise, you're just gimping yourself really. Felhunters work on certain mobs but the imp should be the go to guy in your spec. There's no reason why you're imp should just be keeling over at every corner. Either you're pulling too fast, before the tank, or the tank doesn't have threat on stuffs they should have threat on.

Plus, blood pact is nice in groups sans priest.
90 Worgen Druid
The ONLY time it was "acceptable" to tank with a VW was when you were doing Sarth 3D on 10 man when it was relevant, and a warlock stacking stam with a VW pet was one of 2 options to tank Sarth. Of course, said warlock pet HAD to be fed tricks and MDs in order to hold threat off the healer...

But by god, we did it.

And it was nerfed shortly after.

But still!
97 Pandaren Warrior
The ONLY time it was "acceptable" to tank with a VW was when you were doing Sarth 3D on 10 man when it was relevant, and a warlock stacking stam with a VW pet was one of 2 options to tank Sarth. Of course, said warlock pet HAD to be fed tricks and MDs in order to hold threat off the healer...

But by god, we did it.

And it was nerfed shortly after.

But still!

Don't forget the first few heroic domo kills.
Edited by Ðemolition on 7/29/2012 4:26 AM PDT
85 Draenei Death Knight
Then Destro is absolutely the wrong tree. Do you read your abilities? Burning Embers and Empowered Imp are significant sources of Destro's dps.

If you won't use the imp, go Affliction. It is designed to use the Puppy.

While the Felhunter is not the ideal pet for Destruction, the DPS loss is actually pretty minimal last I ran it through Simulationcraft. As in, maybe a couple percent or so? Possibly a bit more in fights where the puppy would have to run around a lot. It may even be a DPS gain in a leveling spec that doesn't have Dark Arts yet. I know that on my destruction warlock I pull out my Felhunter out for those fights where I need an interrupt (Echo of Tyrande, Queen Azshara), and that doesn't see to measurably hurt her DPS.

Short version: Yes, do take the imp for anything that's potentially challenging, but for casual content it shouldn't really matter at all.

And obviously, the Voidwalker is a poor choice either way.
85 Draenei Death Knight
07/28/2012 06:56 PMPosted by Ðemolition
How is your imp dying?

There are some mobs in leveling dungeons (or, even at level 85, in Lost City) that will also throw randomly targeted attacks at pets. In that case, Avoidance doesn't help. For example, skirmishers in Azjol'Nerub. That's not necessarily a bad thing, because it's still better an imp gets killed than, say, your healer.

Also, prior to getting Fel Synergy, even AE damage can add up if you're running with a healer with short-radius AE heals that never hit an imp.
90 Human Warlock
07/29/2012 11:18 AMPosted by Fleur
It may even be a DPS gain in a leveling spec that doesn't have Dark Arts yet

It isn't just Dark Arts.

Its burning embers/empowered imp (Plus the fact you glyph Imp as destro)
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]