Why are you considered a nerd if you play WoW

(Locked)

90 Draenei Hunter
07/19/2012 11:17 PMPosted by Optimis
I care because its not right to bash on someone who pays to play a videogame meanwhe they pay for xboxlive and dont call themselves nerds

Eh, just do what I did, laugh at them and keep going on with your life cause it's hilariously pathetic that they need to pick on somebody else's habits to hide the fact that they have just as "bad" if not worse habits. Also, punch them in the face if they try to get physical to show how awesome they are compared to you.
85 Orc Shaman
Let them have their moment, because for many of them it will be down hill after high school.

Hell, all of the jocks I know from after high school are all fat and horribly out of shape.
90 Human Hunter
It's high school.

I'm still in high school and I learned to ignore what everyone has to say. You won't be seeing most of them again after you graduate, so why does it matter what they say?
90 Human Death Knight
What Lovefool said was actually funny. I play WoW and workout yet I still look like someone who works out 24/7 (the jocks in my school are either fat, short, or very thin).
I am not a "nerd" because I don't tell people I play this game. I never realy picked on "nerds" but my advice just keep your gameing life on your gaming device/pc.
90 Blood Elf Priest
I don't see why being a 'nerd' is such a negative.
90 Tauren Druid
it is sort of like how you will never be accused of being a jock when you play golf
Edited by Pemmican on 3/20/2013 8:47 AM PDT
90 Orc Rogue
Now its not about me getting pissed its about other kids I see in school that play video games like WoW, Rift, SWTOR, some even play Runescape im fine with that but I see them getting bashed by people they dont know. Its not really bullying its just like..... idk they bash on them but they dont really get that mad lol.

These are the kids who've learned that one day they'll be the ones hiring the other kids later in life.
90 Worgen Druid
07/19/2012 10:18 PMPosted by Optimis
"nerd" is still considered an insult? o_O

I know I thought my generation would have grown up a little by now but no they still act like they are in middle school -__-

I don't think that's what they meant. In this day and age, It pays better in the end to be the smart guy.

(were not talking pro sports athletes here, if someone decides to go "but they make millions of dollars and blahblahblah FOOTBALL!" We will go ahead and throw Bill Gates and his lot into the mix to shush that up right now.)

Smart people "NERDS" in the real world make it further. Smart guy breaks his leg in three places? Don't matter, long as his brain works! Someone in sports breaks that leg? Welp, hope you got a cushy butt cause youve just been upgraded to benchwarmer!

TL;DR

Nerd is a complement in disguise nowadays. Take it with strides that you are being tossed in with a crowd of intellectuals! (Regardless of how many brainfarts you may or may not have along the way) Same goes for your fellow WoW players that you mentioned getting bashed at your school.
82 Worgen Death Knight
I think it's not the game, but how much we know about it. Like all of the lore and such. My friends think I'm a nerd when I try to explain the lore or name the races
90 Draenei Shaman
Try being a nerd/gamer in the 80's. It was...interesting.

And again, Cracked on the case:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-things-modern-kids-dont-understand-about-being-nerd/

Wow.

5 more reasons I'm glad I was born in the late 80s instead of a decade or two earlier.

Canada - where I live - was still doing lobotomies on people like me in the 70s from what I've heard. By people like me, I mean schizophrenics.
90 Undead Rogue
Why are you considered a nerd if you play WoW?

A nerd (adjective: nerdy) is a person, typically described as being overly intellectual, obsessive, or socially impaired. They may spend inordinate amounts of time on unpopular, obscure, or non-mainstream activities, which are generally either highly technical or relating to topics of fiction or fantasy, to the exclusion of more mainstream activities.
90 Human Death Knight
If you are a nerd, own it. Being a nerd is only shameful if you treat it as a shameful condition.

Also, high school is BS. Most schools couldn't come up with a more efficient way to kill a kid's interest in a subject if they tried, with Math, English, and History being among the worst offenders.

A nerd (adjective: nerdy) is a person, typically described as being overly intellectual, obsessive, or socially impaired. They may spend inordinate amounts of time on unpopular, obscure, or non-mainstream activities, which are generally either highly technical or relating to topics of fiction or fantasy, to the exclusion of more mainstream activities.

I consider this to be a better definition:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=121559692

I believe there are two main categories of nerds: one type, disproportionately male, is intellectual in ways that strike people as machine-like, and socially awkward in ways that strike people as machine-like.

These nerds are people who remind others, sometimes pleasantly, of machines. They tend to remind people of machines by:

1. Being passionate about some technically sophisticated activity that doesn't revolve around emotional confrontation, physical confrontation, sex, food, or beauty (most activities that excite passion in non-nerds—basketball, violin, sex, surfing, acting, knitting, interior decorating, wine tasting, etc.—are built around one of these subjects).

2. Speaking in language unusually similar to written Standard English.

3. Seeking to avoid physical and emotional confrontation.

4. Favoring logic and rational communication over nonverbal, non-rational forms of communication or thoughts that don't involve reason.

5. Working with, playing with, and enjoying machines more than most people do.

(Author goes on to use Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys as an example)

The second type of nerd probably consists equally of males and females. This is a nerd who is a nerd by sheer force of social exclusion.
Edited by Arterius on 3/20/2013 9:31 AM PDT
90 Orc Warrior
Honestly in my school I go to basically if you play wow you are an instant NERD. I dont see why... Most of the people in my school have an xbox with xbox live. If you are a nerd who is paying to play a MMO what does that make you? you pay to play online. I know there are price differences but its still similar.

I play WoW I tell my friends they called me a nerd and all but after awhile it really didnt matter they thought I would play it all day and all night but I dont I go to places they I watch a move with them We go screw around play some street basketball and some football also throw in some soccer.

Now its not about me getting pissed its about other kids I see in school that play video games like WoW, Rift, SWTOR, some even play Runescape im fine with that but I see them getting bashed by people they dont know. Its not really bullying its just like..... idk they bash on them but they dont really get that mad lol.

Anyway im probably gonna get flamed for this post but it just ticks me off how in my school (Drama central) people think you are a nerd if you play WoW

Heres what it is man. Kids that make fun of people in school are in their prime time. Its the highlight of their life. We all go on to do bigger and better things while the best moments of their life are laughing at kids for playing wow. True Story. Oh and nerds rule the world. Bill Gates anyone?
90 Troll Druid
Being a nerd isn't a bad thing to be anymore.
Because other people can't see past their social games to realize they're being rude, judgmental, and ignorant.

I'm a nerd and I'm proud of it. I see it as a positive. I learned to do that as I grew up.

They see it and don't understand. That's a flaw in them, not you. Hopefully one day they'll get over it and start acting rational.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]