Dark Apotheosis Animation Just a Placeholder?

90 Undead Warlock
I already posted this on the PTR section but it wasn't getting any feedback.

I was wondering if the current DA animation was just a placeholder, because as of now it looks like i cut wings out of cardboard, painted them purple and then glued them to my back.

On top of them looking silly, it doesn't make sense that Shadow bolt becomes demonic slash in DA when we don't even have demon claws.

The easiest/laziest fix would be to swap the animations for meta and DA because meta has touch of chaos instead of slash, but honestly it needs a new animation.

Thoughts?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
That require them caring about DA. But they don't. So they won't.
Reply Quote
86 Draenei Priest
07/22/2012 06:18 PMPosted by Umbros
That require them caring about DA. But they don't. So they won't.

Blizz caring about locks? Especially demonology?
Oh the laughter! It comes in waves over me, it does!
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
Does DA = perm wings?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
07/22/2012 11:00 PMPosted by Mouse
Does DA = perm wings?

Aye
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
making us dreadlords is another idea someone has stated and i think this would actually be the easiest.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Now, see, there are a number of problems with completely changing the model.

The biggest one that would arise from either having either perma-meta, or another model (e.g. Dreadlord) is that we wouldn't see any of our gear. and not being able to appreciate your gear for large portions of your time is something that tends to piss off druids a lot, and it'd probably piss us off a lot too. So a complete model swap is a step backwards in my opinion.

The current animation is... ok, I guess. The wings have always looked cardboard-y, it's just how the model and animations are. Show me a humanoid with wings in game that look good?

Illidan? Lol.

Teron Gorefiend? Lol.

You have a point about the slash/touch of chaos thing, they could overlay the claws from meta transparently on top of our hands, so that at least it looks like we've got something, but even that would look weird and out of place.

At least you get horns when your mastery is up, don't you?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
The problem with using a humanoid model is that even if we get cardboard claws glued on we will use our weapon to melee.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Also i don't think there would be a problem with dark apotheosis being a perm form becauuse t is so situational It will never be used in PvE, unless there is some special tank encounter. And in pvp it is still somewhat situational.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
07/25/2012 12:07 AMPosted by Magikk
Also i don't think there would be a problem with dark apotheosis being a perm form becauuse t is so situational It will never be used in PvE, unless there is some special tank encounter. And in pvp it is still somewhat situational.

You're so right on these points, I forgot to consider the fact that in it's intended implementation (assuming people use it, which they really really really wont) it'd only ever see effective use 1~5% of the time anyway, and in PvP it is so situational; so it having a complete model change wouldn't be much of an issue overall.

I just can't help but laugh at the notion that Blizzard thinks it (Dark Apotheosis) will see serious use with the Glyph being used as "intended".
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
07/25/2012 01:15 PMPosted by Malavalon

You're so right on these points, I forgot to consider the fact that in it's intended implementation (assuming people use it, which they really really really wont) it'd only ever see effective use 1~5% of the time anyway, and in PvP it is so situational; so it having a complete model change wouldn't be much of an issue overall.

I just can't help but laugh at the notion that Blizzard thinks it (Dark Apotheosis) will see serious use with the Glyph being used as "intended".

Yeah yeah! And on the PTR the wings are mega glitchy they flare up randomly in a jerky fashion that isn't intentional. so maybe it is placeholder
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
Gods, I hope it's a placeholder. It seems very lazy the way they did it. I would prefer having the current meta model to this. As a question: Does this replace Meta, or is it separate from that? I haven't seen anything clear, and I'm not in the beta.

I think, ideally, the DA model would be different for men and women, but that you would become a demon, as you do with Meta. If DA and Meta are two different things, I think a new model is definitely in order, even if it's just Meta with armor or something. I'd be happy with a straight recolor, even. Perhaps the dark purple with green glowing tattoos and such? But I still think that a female version of the model should be made for female players. Especially with the amount of time spent in DA being capable of being such a large amount.

For me, the lack of personal gear in DA/Meta wouldn't be a big deal. I haven't had a problem with it in Meta currently, though perhaps that's because it's only for a short time. However, I've played a druid before, and I haven't had a problem with no gear in any of the other forms. I understand that others get really annoyed at that, but it's just never been an issue for me, especially since the model updates.
Reply Quote
86 Draenei Priest
To actually contribute to this old thread.

Giving DA its original animation (blue-tinted meta) would be a big help.
It's so anti-climactic beating against stuff with my staff and dress when I could be slashing S##T TO BITS as a crazy evil demon.

And it's pretty sad that they didn't even try to animate those ugly wings.
I may as well have a piece of purple cardboard strapped to my back.
Reply Quote
86 Draenei Priest
08/30/2012 04:28 PMPosted by Lyndaria
As a question: Does this replace Meta, or is it separate from that?

DA is a stance completely separate from meta. It would appear as a similar stance icon on the default UI after glyphing.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
I'll contribute too, even though I already did a while back.

Changing the model entirely, completely goes against the thematic intent of the spell, Dark Apotheosis is supposed to be an Illidan-esque half-transformation, hence why you don't go full-demon, you just get wings and horns (disregard, for the moment, the fact that the Meta model is a recolour of Illidan's model >.>).

The current implementation is lazy, but changing the model to a recolour of Meta is arguably even lazier, as well as contradicting the thematic aspect of the spell.

I do agree, however, that the wings need animation work, they feel far too static and cardboard-y.

In my earlier post from about a month ago, I mentioned that the other winged humanoids currently ingame also had cardboard-y looking wings, with specific reference to Teron Gorefiend, and while Gorefiend's wings are paper-thin, they at least had very nice dynamic animations, which helped detract from the pixel-thinness of the wings, and helped make them look more organic.

Something similar should definitely be done to the DA wings in future, at the very least the wings should respond to certain skills like Carrion Swarm and Demonic Leap, which they currently do not.
Reply Quote
86 Draenei Priest
08/30/2012 04:44 PMPosted by Malavalon
Changing the model entirely, completely goes against the thematic intent of the spell, Dark Apotheosis is supposed to be an Illidan-esque half-transformation, hence why you don't go full-demon, you just get wings and horns (disregard, for the moment, the fact that the Meta model is a recolour of Illidan's model >.>).

Care to settle for a minor cosmetic glyph option?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
08/30/2012 04:51 PMPosted by Pleasurizer
Care to settle for a minor cosmetic glyph option?

No, we have enough difficult cosmetic-minor-glyph choices to make as it is. > : (
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
What I feel is a good trade off:

Make DA appear as what meta does now. as stated meta is a recolor of Illidan, half demon, half human. It would make sense ^.^.

Replace Meta form with an actual demon form. You turn into a DEMON, and it should reflect that. I'm feeling a Pit Lord, but maybe that's just me :).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]