Is there a point to CTC anymore?

90 Night Elf Warrior
So I just got my heroic hands today and so I had to gem and enchant it...and found myself having to hold back on gemming avoidance because I'm flirting with the CTC cap all the time.

Is it even worth capping anymore at this point? It seems most of the damage I'm receiving is magical.

Also, I'm 102.56 unbuffed and unfed right now...in your opinion what should I drop to fall under this cap? Should I go full stam, full threat, or just keep capping out?
Edited by Bealina on 7/25/2012 9:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Warrior
07/25/2012 09:49 PMPosted by Bealina
Is it even worth capping anymore at this point? It seems most of the damage I'm receiving is magical.

In the sense that it makes you take less damage, yes.

Not really if you mean in the sense you could gem 40 parry in every slot and still clear DS
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
So I just got my heroic hands today and so I had to gem and enchant it...and found myself having to hold back on gemming avoidance because I'm flirting with the CTC cap all the time.

Also, I'm 102.56 unbuffed and unfed right now...in your opinion what should I drop to fall under this cap? Should I go full stam, full threat, or just keep capping out?

Would reforging your shoulders to mastery over hit help you at all with keeping at/over the cap?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
At this point of DS nerfs, you could socket spirit gems and lololol your way through.

You have three real options, though.

Gem/reforge to maximize stamina. Simple, easy. Won't kill you. But you're not going to parse any epeen out, either.

Gem/reforge to avoidance to take less physical blows overall. Keep a baseline of... say... 200k health, and you'll be fine probably.

Gem/reforge to DPS with hit/expertise/strength. Parse them logs, piss your heals off if they're not aware you're doing this, etc.

You can keep a pretty high CTC with ret gear, as some of it has some very high mastery ratings. I think in my 'tank dps' gear, I have 96% CTC still, and still 220k health or so, and a few thousand more epeen points.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Rogue
The big bursts of magic damage are the ones you notice because they hurt a lot, but most of the damage you'll take is regular melee damage. If you can block all of these it will make the healers job a bit easier.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Also, CTC modifies the worst-case scenario more than any other stat.

Yes, magic damage hurts. But the thing that kills you is when it hits at the same time as a melee swing. By reaching the CTC cap, you ensure that you never get a truly devastating melee swing, which increases your chance of surviving that combo in a way that a similar amount of stamina simply can't match.

Unless you're dealing with a fight where blockable melee is completely trivial and you deal with high amounts of unblockable damage that can burst kill you, CTC is worthwhile. And that situation only really occurs on pre-nerf heroic Yor'sajh and Madness.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]