Bot reports make a difference.

90 Blood Elf Warlock
Last night, I was poking around and noticed 4 paladins in Uldum. All of them were between levels 83-85 and were only wearing Scroll-of-Resurrection-boosted gear (the ilvl 232 set)

This morning, they were still there. I went to see if I could catch a few of them and sure enough, they were mining in what looked like a botting pattern.

So, I opened a ticket listing the character names and describing what I saw.

In 1-2 hours (which is unprecedented for ticket replies) I received a ticket reply stating, and I quote:

"I wanted to let you know that after checking out those characters and the accounts they're on, they seem to be compromised. I went ahead and secured them and started restoring for the original owners and they'll be able to get the accounts unlocked after they verify ownership details with us. These reports are much appreciated, my friend, so if you notice anything else wonky, please let us know! =]"

I did a /who in Uldum, and the characters I reported are no longer there.

Guys, I just got 4 bots shut down.

Help me report stuff, and you too can be a Hero. Currently, the botting trend seems to be Scroll-of-Res-geared paladins. A level 85 character logged in 24 hours a day doing nothing but mining is a good reason to submit a ticket. If you don't feel like submitting tickets, send me an in-game mail with the character's name and I can investigate on your behalf and submit a ticket.

Happy hunting, and thank you for keeping Ravenholdt safe!
Edited by Starien on 7/28/2012 7:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
That seems, well, odd. Especially since Blizzard's stance for years has been never to release the details of others' accounts, especially if they're compromised. You must have gotten them during a scheduled purge or something. They could very well have a new policy since the last report I've made, which sat open for 4 days by the way.

If I find bots of the opposite faction on a PvP server, I report them then I just camp them for an hour or so.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
That's refreshing. I remember in BC I saw a horde hunter farming clefthide SE of Auchindoun. (Granted not the best place but a nice out of the way corner.) I watched its patterns, killed it a multitude of times watched it respawn and go back to farming, completely ignoring me. Looked it up in Armory saw that it was in level 50 greens. Killed it for about an hour (Not realizing honor points had diminishing returns and in the days of honor being calculated at the end of the day.) Finally I put a ticket in.

Next day still there.
Day after that another ticket.
Two more days still there, I put in a bit of a curt letter to Blizzard. This time I got a response from a GM basically saying I had no proof and that the fact that it was in level 50 greens made no difference. About a week later it finally was gone.

Similar in Vanilla I was farming black dragonscale and would see two level one gnomes using speed hacks to loot a chest. One would draw agro and sprint away speed hacking, the other would loot the chest. When I reported them I just got a dismissive "There is no level requirement for Burning Steppes."

Glad to see that they're acting faster these days. Now if only they'd enforce their naming policy...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
That seems, well, odd. Especially since Blizzard's stance for years has been never to release the details of others' accounts, especially if they're compromised. You must have gotten them during a scheduled purge or something. They could very well have a new policy since the last report I've made, which sat open for 4 days by the way.

Yes, that's what I thought when I got the reply so quickly and is partially why I posted my experience here. Either the policy has changed, or the GM who worked my ticket acted out of scope.

Either way, it was extremely refreshing, and was great encouragement to submit future reports.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Thanks...I farm the old fashion way, listen to music and do the endless circuits around a zone farming what I need. I hate to see people take these short cuts. Now on a flip side, if they are same faction, I add them to friends list and create a note letting know if they are bots. If opposite faction, I will kill and camp to stop them.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Yep, I report bots when I see them. Or camp them. I actually camped a bot so hard in Sholaazar once, that I forced its farmer-player to come rescue it. ^_^
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]