How To Be Good At PvP (and this game)

55 Troll Death Knight
I. Introduction (feel free to skip to pertinent information)

Alright, this is a thread I've been waiting years to create, but haven't had the drive until I've made my recent decision to quit this game for an extended period of time. I'll be writing this over an extended period of time, maybe a week, until I feel like I have no more wisdom to offer.

If you want to see my ratings, check out my characters:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/maiev/Wladyslaw/statistic#21:152
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/dawnbringer/Rouslan/statistic#21:152

I'm a 2.4k+ experienced DK in S11. That isn't very common. I earned this all on a bad server, making the best with what partners I could scrounge together for more than a night of arenas. I'm not the best by far, but I definitely know how to be an awesome DK. Sometimes though, I don't get enough time to practice and my head is always 50 steps ahead of my body. :)

By the way, key terms in this thread: EFFICIENCY, MAXED LIKE FK, COMMON SENSE, KNOWLEDGE

I'm not strong at healers, but I know enough to give some basics at healing, and I can provide videos/specific guides.

However, I'm still baffled by the fact that so many people on this server, are just painfully awful. That's not a bad thing, if you really want to improve. I don't understand how people can be so lazy and not put in a few hours of research so they can win arenas/down bosses much more often in a cleaner fashion. That's all it takes! Do people find losing FUN?

Who the hell likes losing? 2 hours of research might lead to 200+ increases in rating perhaps with some practice. Can't be that stupid. My first season, I spent a few hours researching, optimizing things, and I hit 2350 playing casually. I've played 1500 arena matches over the past 2 years of this expansion, that's like only a little more than 2 a day. Mostly in 2s for caps.

If you're that lazy kind, I have coded this sentence right here:

Read a sentence a day for a few weeks, and you'll get good at this game.

That's all it takes. It's time for people to start becoming good at this game. Being good at PvP is always mutually inclusive with being good at this game in general, but not the other way around. It takes a special type of mindset, which will benefit you to develop.

I know I sound like an arrogant !@#, especially with this post, but I want to contribute something to this community before I quit this game. Maybe one day, Dawnbringer will shine again.

I will try to reserve some posts as much as I can. This space is reserved for future edits. I might even add a minor table of contents.

I'll write one wall of text a day.

I'm open to suggestions on organization, layout, and content etc.
Edited by Rouslanqt on 7/29/2012 11:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
55 Troll Death Knight
II. General Guide
A. Keybinding

I'm not sure where to start on this one, but let's begin with keybindings. Keybindings are useful in every RPG out there. If you aren't able to memorize your main's keybinds so you can pay attention to casts, gladius, focus targets, and positioning in arena, then you're doing something horribly wrong.

Keybinds make things easier, and faster. They should be a second thought. You don't have to stare at your buttons and click them. It's a matter of efficiency, just like everything else in PvP.

It may take a week or two of BGing and dueling to get used to, but once you can turn off your interface (Alt z) and

Don't copy people's keybinds completely. Use them to get a general idea on how to keybind. Do what's comfortable for YOU. I remember a post by Reckful of him recommending not to use his keybinds, because they are awkward unless you're used to another RPG he used to play before joining WoW.

Step 1) Go to Game Menu (hit escape) > Interface > Actionbars. Activate all of them. Unlock your actionbars so you can start setting your moves.

Step 2) Now, put all your moves on the bar. Put things like cooldowns in a position where you can see them better than regular moves. For example, I will put icebound fortitude ahead of blood boil, because I need to see the cooldown of icebound fortitude, while i just need a bind for blood boil since it's very unimportant and does not have a cooldown.

Step 3) Begin keybinding, by going to Game Menu (esc) > Keybindings.

This is a very complex part.

i) First, decide whether you want to use the WASD setup, or the ESDF setup. ESDF gives you more buttons, but makes it harder to use modifiers. I run with the WASD setup.

ii) Then, unbind turn left and turn right. Don't even do it. Use a mouse to turn with your right mouse button. Efficiency is key.

iii) Now, bind your strafe keys to former keyturning keys, or bind keyturn to new moves later.

TO BACKPEDAL OR NOT TO BACKPEDAL: Just don't do it. If you're a melee, you don't need this bound. If you're a hunter, be careful. If you need to move back slightly and you're not being trained, it's fine. But otherwise, you should strafe instead. Casters, I laugh every time I see some mage trying to back pedal and icelance at the same time. Don't you get a kick out of a rogue that backpedals and tries to stab at the same time, as if the motion increases the damage of his backstab.

The only time I see backpedalling as vastly superior to strafing or moving forward is if you're a warrior chasing after a hunter or a mage while you have a melee dps on you in defensive stance, so you can try to close some distance while doing your best to gain revenge procs and not get merc'd. In combination with strafing of course.

NOW, onto actual keybinds!

These are the keybinds used in WASD: ` Capslock 1 2 3 4 5 6 Q E R T Y F G H Z X C V B
21 keybinds, x4 = 84 possible keybinds. Don't forget, you can use modifier keybinds of your two strafe keys and your movement forward key as well!

That adds another 9 keybinds for a grand total of 93 keybinds given by this game in a rather comfortable position for normal sized hands.

Got a mouse with a mouse wheel? Press down, mouse scroll up, mouse scroll down, that's another 12 keybinds right there, for a grand total of 105 keybinds.

Still need more keybinds? Get a Razer Naga. Two side buttons + 12 addition buttons = 14x4 = 56 addition keybinds for a grand total of 161 keybinds you can get from this game.

And I'm not even getting started on F1->F6, but they're generally uncomfortable.

Most classes only need about 50 keybinds on average or more. It depends on how many arena 1 2 3 macros you have (more on this in a later chapter).

General rule of thumb: Strategize your keybinds!
CLOSEST TO FINGERS: Whatever heals/damage you spam all the time.
CLOSE: Short cooldowns + crowd control
FURTHER: Long but important cooldowns. Less important crowd control (shackle, turn evil)
FURTHEST: Gimmick spells that you still need, but don't use very often (blood boil, slow fall, etc.)

Bind focus/arena123 moves to simple keys that can be used with modifiers.

But remember, it's what you're COMFORTABLE with. As long as you follow the general outline, keybind however the !@#$ you want to keybind. I don't give a %^-*, it better work though. You better not have divine shield bound to P though or I'll slap the !@#$ out of you.

Protip for anything with a cast bar: Don't forget to bind stopcast in the miscellaneous section of the bars.

While you're going through your keybinds and making your tough decisions, learn your DPS rotation so you have an idea about what spells are useful (howling blast) and what spells aren't (blood strike in frost pvp). EFFICIENCY
Edited by Rouslanqt on 7/29/2012 11:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
55 Troll Death Knight
FURTHER READING:
Guides:
http://elitistjerks.com/blogs/2949-yes/207-wow_keybindings_how_you_can_become_gladiator_keybinding_part_i/

Examples:
http://www.arenajunkies.com/news/477-keybinding-guide-and-vanguards-7/
http://elitistjerks.com/blogs/2949-yes/p2/

Check PvP videos with good quality on youtube/warcraftmovies if you want to see keybindings for general classes. I think skill capped also posts bindings for some characters. Talbadar posted his bindings somewhere for free if you google it.

B. (idk whats next)

reserved
Edited by Rouslanqt on 7/29/2012 10:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
55 Troll Death Knight
reserved
Reply Quote
55 Troll Death Knight
reserved
Reply Quote
55 Troll Death Knight
reserved
Reply Quote
55 Troll Death Knight
reserved
Reply Quote
55 Troll Death Knight
reserved
Reply Quote
55 Troll Death Knight
reserved
Reply Quote
55 Troll Death Knight
reserved
Reply Quote
55 Troll Death Knight
reserved
Reply Quote
55 Troll Death Knight
reserved
Reply Quote
55 Troll Death Knight
reserved
Reply Quote
55 Troll Death Knight
reserved
Reply Quote
55 Troll Death Knight
reserved
Reply Quote
55 Troll Death Knight
reserved
Reply Quote
55 Troll Death Knight
reserved
Reply Quote
55 Troll Death Knight
reserved
Reply Quote
55 Troll Death Knight
reserved
Reply Quote
55 Troll Death Knight
reserved
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]