Enhancement MoP compendium + q/a

85 Orc Shaman
I have recently had more time to play and started to become active on Beta. I am leveling my 2nd shaman to 90 (one horde, one alliance) and want to make one thread that will be a great resource for enhancement theorycrafting and information, and hopefully eventually get stickied. This will be a constant work in progress so any help would be appreciated. A lot of the great work and theorycrafting for our class is due to Purge from Dread. He is amazing and we all appreciate his hard work. You can find a lot of his great information here @ http://www.totemspot.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=96

I'd like to eventually get solid rotations and specs down here for people to be able to glance at and see, and also to get some solid theorycrafting numbers.

I will constantly edit this post and eventually get it into some sort of searchable and easily readable form.

First off - our set bonuses are as follows

Two-piece set bonus: Increases the damage done by your Lava Lash ability by 15%.
Four-piece set bonus: Increases the critical strike chance bonus from your Stormstrike ability by an additional 15%.

Secondly - Purge has some initial testing regarding talent selection and stat weights. It currently seems as though the best spec on beta takes Primal elementalist at lvl 90, and echo of the elements. I could be wrong as there has been some testing that shows elemental mastery potentially squeaking ahead of echo if used properly. I will try to gather more and more information on this as time goes on and get it posted here with proper numbers.

Here is a link to Purge's sims http://dread-gaming.com/simc/enh_t14_r13050.html
Echo = echo of the elements
PE = Primal elementalist
EM = Elemental mastery
AS = Ancestral swiftness

His testing was done simming with the t14 4p bonuses.

Thirdly - Stat priorities. I need to do a little more research here, or hopefully someone can help me with this, but I know that we no longer need as much spell hit as we did in cataclysm, I think it's something to the effect of 2500 expertise and 2500 hit should put us right where we need to be. I can look this up more tomorrow.

Editing stat priorities as they have changed a little bit and are way different from live.
Still want to do agility > 7.5% hit=7.5% expertise > HASTE > MASTERY > CRIT

This is all subject to change but I will try to keep this updated and do my own testing and simming, which I haven't done a ton of in the past.
Edited by Spectie on 8/4/2012 5:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
Quality of life changes :
These have already been posted, but again I'm trying to consolidate some of the information here so people can pick up and raid.

Weapon Imbues + Lightning Shield duration have been increased to 1 hour
Lightning Shield no longer has charges, instead it just lasts for the 1 hour duration.

Searing Flames: this is a HUGE change. It no longer stacks a debuff on your target, but rather buffs the shaman instead. It buffs the shaman's next lava lash in the same way as it did before, so now target swapping won't be so evil. They have made searing flames also buff flametongue's damage to compensate for the DoT that no longer exists. In addition to this your fire elemental ALSO STACKS searing flames which is very nice. This may cause some people to want to go FT/FT instead of WF/FT, I think as of now WF/FT is still the winner here but we'll see.

For pvp - the 4 piece bonus makes frostbrand increase your lava lash damage by 40% so now both FT and FB will give you the damage bonus.

Totems are incredibly different, we now only drop 1 totem at a time and managing them will become much more important.

Searing totem still lasts 1 minute, Healing stream totem now lasts 15 seconds with a 30 second cooldown. Enh also has access to Healing Tide totem which will be a very nice raid healing cooldown. It only hits 5 targets, but it does a nice amount of healing. You'll primarily focus on just keeping searing totem/fire elemental down and healing stream/healing tide totem at this point. The other totems will all be situational.
Edited by Spectie on 7/28/2012 7:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote

For pvp - the 4 piece bonus makes frostbrand increase your lava lash damage by 40% so now both FT and FB will give you the damage bonus.

Me gusta
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Aside from that our priorities are the same as live with mastery > crit > haste, HOWEVER they are so close on beta. Reforging is bonkers right now, but haste is no longer so far behind crit and mastery. All 3 are pretty close. Purge did a lot of testing with Unleashed Fury + Echo talented and found the following stat:DPS ratio
1 point of mastery = 0.8261 dps increase
1 point of crit = 0.7940 dps increase
1 point of haste = 0.7289 dps increase.
Source: http://www.totemspot.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6747&p=82453#post82453

Those calculations are obsolete at this point, especially given the beta builds we've seen since then.

1. Calculations didn't assume fire elemental auto-attacks scaled with mastery (they do)

2. Calculations didn't assume spirit bite scaled with mastery (it does now, although it didn't at the time I made that post)

3. Calculations assumed pets inherit the crit damage meta, but they don't anymore (again, they used to)

4. Stormlash damage is included in the crit and mastery stat weights, but not the haste stat weight

5. Calculations didn't include raid buffs/debuffs

Since we have a sim up and running that doesn't appear to be too far off the mark, we should be able to use those numbers instead.

http://dread-gaming.com/simc/enh_463_r13096.html
http://dread-gaming.com/simc/enh_509_r13096.html
http://dread-gaming.com/simc/enh_t14_r13096.html

Worth noting: those numbers don't include any stormlash totem or skull banner uptime, so your crit and mastery will be more valuable relative to haste than shown here. Depending on how many shamans you have, you might be able to push mastery over haste for most talent combinations (probably need ~3-4 shamans in your raid, but that's just a guess). Crit is probably a little too far behind for skull banner to be enough to close the gap.
Edited by Purge on 7/28/2012 10:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
So it looks like if you take Echo and Primal Elementalist it goes Haste > mastery > crit. That's extremely interesting :O

Edit: I'm assuming that the 463 numbers are based on normal tier, whereas 509 is heroic tier? I haven't looked up ilvls on beta tier yet. I'm bad.
Edited by Spectie on 7/29/2012 7:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
07/28/2012 09:58 PMPosted by Purge
Worth noting: those numbers don't include any stormlash totem or skull banner uptime, so your crit and mastery will be more valuable relative to haste than shown here. Depending on how many shamans you have, you might be able to push mastery over haste for most talent combinations (probably need ~3-4 shamans in your raid, but that's just a guess). Crit is probably a little too far behind for skull banner to be enough to close the gap.

Does that mean the damage added by stormlash totem is affected by mastery? I would assume it is because it's all nature damage.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
The 463 ilvl is heroic dungeon epics. If it were normal T14, we'd more than likely see echo/PE at the top instead of EM/PE. If my logic is correct, the reason for that is because we're not getting that 15% extra crit.

As for Stormlash being affected by mastery, it is. Now, if my math is accurate, its gonna take 4 shamans to be able to drop Stormlash in order for Mastery to be about equal to haste, think the math I had needed like 6 shamans just to put Mastery .02 ahead of haste or something crazy like that (My math could be off since I haven't been on beta in a few builds). Keep in mind though, faster swings equals more procs, more procs equal more damage.
Edited by Selias on 7/29/2012 10:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
yeah with echo, lightning bolt is doing so much damage, it's no wonder it is at the top of our priority list now, well a 5 stack is #2, only behind stormstrike in ascendance form.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
There were a couple of fixes in SimC that will affect the enhancement results; namely, it wasn't giving us the +5% agility from mail specialization (it was checking all gear slots, and shirts aren't mail), and windfury has been changed to a fixed 3.0 sec ICD (previously the ICD was modeled as 3.0 sec with a 0.3 sec standard deviation).

I'll try to do some new stat weight runs and have them up by later tonight. For now, just pretend that the profiles I posted earlier are actually 3-5k dps higher than displayed (depending on ilvl). Obviously the mail specialization fix will increase the value of agility. The change to windfury ICD model might negatively affect haste's stat weight relative to crit and mastery (slightly), but we'll see how it goes.

* EDIT: On the subject of windfury, SimC is still modeling it based on its live behavior (yellow attacks are eligible sources for procs). This isn't consistent with its behavior on the beta, but we're assuming (hoping?) it's a bug. Would love to get blue confirmation on that, though.
Edited by Purge on 7/29/2012 4:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Is shamanistic rage still on the GCD?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Shamanistic Rage is still on the GCD, sadly.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Wow that's dissapointing
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
http://dread-gaming.com/simc/enh_t14_r13195.html

Updated results for the 509 profiles with the t14 set bonuses enabled. I'll update the 509 (no set) and 463 results tomorrow.
Edited by Purge on 7/29/2012 8:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Now, Purge, is that Sim factoring in the the problems you mentioned earlier or have those issues been addressed and we can actually look at those numbers realistically or with a grain of salt? I mean, obviously we're looking at them with a grain of salt since its beta, but you should know what I mean.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
so Purge, with all these Sims coming out, how is Enhance holding up to the following:

Enhancement vs. Elemental?

Enhancement vs. other melee in terms of DPS/Utility?

Enhancement overall raid Utility?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
07/29/2012 10:57 PMPosted by Selias
Now, Purge, is that Sim factoring in the the problems you mentioned earlier or have those issues been addressed and we can actually look at those numbers realistically or with a grain of salt? I mean, obviously we're looking at them with a grain of salt since its beta, but you should know what I mean.

Those results fixed the mail specialization and windfury cooldown issues, but it still allows windfury to proc off of yellow attacks. I don't see any glaring issues, so the results should be fairly reliable.

07/30/2012 07:00 PMPosted by Tahariel
Enhancement vs. Elemental?

From what I've heard they're fairly close to one another, with enhancement perhaps having the slight lead, but I don't have access to an elemental profile in SimC to verify that.

Enhancement vs. other melee in terms of DPS/Utility?

The only SimC results I know of for other melee are rogues, and it was a quick and dirty / not-optimized run, but they came up slightly behind enhancement (they'll probably be equal or maybe even ahead after their profiles are optimized). Based on raid testing, I think enhancement is pretty on-par with other melee specs.

Enhancement overall raid Utility?

Stormlash Totem

* EDIT: I'm going to try to optimize and clean up the gear/gems/reforges for our profiles a bit more, so I'm not going to post the 509 / set bonus disabled results.

http://dread-gaming.com/simc/enh_463_r13195.html
Edited by Purge on 7/30/2012 8:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
07/30/2012 08:12 PMPosted by Purge
Stormlash Totem

How is healing tide scaling at 90 for enhancement?

Also, thanks for doing all the work that no one else wanted to do :P
Edited by Chillbronies on 7/30/2012 10:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
07/30/2012 10:13 PMPosted by Chillbronies
Stormlash Totem

How is healing tide scaling at 90 for enhancement?

Also, thanks for doing all the work that no one else wanted to do :P

Haven't really tested the healing cooldowns.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
Blue post regarding windfury

"Speaking of ICDs and Enhancement, could you clarify how Windfury is working for MoP?

Historically, Windfury has had a 3 second ICD between procs with a shared lockout between hands. It would also proc from white hits along with Stormstrike and Lava Lash. So my questions are this:

1) Is the 3 second ICD still the plan for MoP. I just did some initial testing against a training dummy, and that still seems to be the case.
2) Is the ICD still supposed to be shared between both hands for MoP?
3) Is this ICD a fixed 3 second ICD for MoP, or is it effected by Haste at all?
4) Is Windfury supposed to proc from Stormstrike and Lava Lash? From my testing, I didn't see a single proc when just isolating Stormstrike and Lava Lash attacks. On Live, I'm seeing both yellow attacks proc Windfury. I'm assuming this is just a bug, but I want to confirm if this is by design for MoP
Windfury should be mostly the same as on live. 1) Yes. 2) Yes. 3) Fixed. 4) White attacks and Wind Lash only. Other than adding Wind Lash to being able to proc it, it doesn’t look like it’s changed in quite a while; are you sure that yellow attacks trigger it on live? (Easy way to test just yellow attacks: Turn 90degrees away from a target dummy. White attacks won’t hit, but yellow attacks can, at exactly 90degrees)."
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
Also in regards to sims vs actual dps. I am going to be 25m testing pretty much all day today and tomorrow and although my beta rotation isn't perfect (I still want to put ss/ll above LB_5) I should hopefully be able to report on how enhancement is compared to the other specs.

Can anyone confirm if the wolves + fire elemental scale dynamically or snapshot? Also if you select Primal Elementalist and the elementals change from Guardians to Pets, does that affect how they scale as well since typically guardians snapshot and pets are dynamic.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]