Order of the Cloud Serpent

90 Gnome Priest
With the re-opening of the Jade Forest, players who reached level 90 are finally able to start working on the dailies for Order of the Cloud Serpent. This is a faction that will grant a flying mount once you reach exalted reputation with them, similar to the Wintersaber and Ravasaur Trainers.

You start out with a few quests to test if you're worthy to become a Cloud Serpent Rider. You're rewarded with your choice of colored eggs - blue, green or yellow. Be careful which you pick because that will be the color of the mount you receive at the end of the process.

You then start the rep grind to get to exalted. There are 3 basic dailies. So far, they've been related to fighting off the Saurok that have been preying on the Cloud Serpents at Windward Isle. They're granting 450-600 rep each before perks.

Here is where it gets evil. There are 4 additional dailies, one related to each secondary profession. It looks like you might be able to get the cooking daily completed by getting the needed item from someone who cooks. You definitely need to be able to fish for the fishing daily. You definitely need First Aid for the First Aid daily (I tried just healing the injured hatchling, didn't work). And you need to have Archaeology to dig for the special Serpentrider Relics at your normal digsites (I'm getting 1 per dig, which is 6 per site so I need to dig 2 full sites to complete the daily - good to pair up with Lorewalker daily which still isn't granting rep >.<). These grant 125 rep each - not much compared to the normal dailies but still enough to give faster rep gains to get to exalted.

Not sure if it's bugged but I'm already at 4450/12000 after 2 sets of dailies and once set of secondary profession dailies. I didn't think to check to see how much rep the initial quests granted.

I just started doing random emotes at my hatchling for the fun of it.

It likes to be petted. It nudges my arm affectionately if I hug it. And it loves me, too!
Edited by Joynal on 7/28/2012 5:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
You're rewarded with your choice of colored eggs - blue, green or yellow. Be careful which you pick because that will be the color of the mount you receive at the end of the process.

07/28/2012 05:36 AMPosted by Joynal
yellow.

Duh. Not sure why the other two are even options.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Ok. Does it matter how skilled I am in those secondary profs?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Does "Goldshire" count as a secondary profession?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
07/28/2012 11:48 AMPosted by Lèah
Ok. Does it matter how skilled I am in those secondary profs?

Can't say for certain. I'm maxed on everything, plus it could depend on whether the daily will change or if its the same one every day. I got a slightly late start so dailies were reset before I turned them in. If its the exact same daily each day, then...

Cooking - no. I don't think you'll even need cooking. Just get someone else to make the Fish Cakes for you.

Fishing - no. The fish was caught from schools of fish and that only requires a skill of 1 unless Blizzard changed it. I can experiment on my DK, I never had her learned fishing since she was a leveling test.

Archaeology - probably. Can only get the relics from Pandaria digsites and those would start at 525 if the Wrath model is used. Again, can use my DK to test.

First Aid - honestly have no idea. The complete seemed to trigger from channeling the bandage as opposed to the amount healed. I'll experiment and see if I can use something other than a Windwool bandage, think I have a small amount of normal wool lying around on an alt and it's easy to farm if not.

You're rewarded with your choice of colored eggs - blue, green or yellow. Be careful which you pick because that will be the color of the mount you receive at the end of the process.

07/28/2012 05:36 AMPosted by Joynal
yellow.

Duh. Not sure why the other two are even options.

My favorite color is blue, and I wanted to save that for live. There's a lot of clutter in the picture but I got all 3 colors squeezed in.
http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af250/iamdori/CloudSerpentColors.jpg

There's rumor that there's a rare Black Onyx mount but the egg is a rare spawn so you'd have to get lucky while doing the "collect the egg quest" to get it as a choice. Others say that mount will have a different source, and the rare spawn eggs are for rep gains only, like the Netherdrake eggs were in BC. I didn't see any Onyx eggs at all (people were heavily farming for the onyx eggs once the rumor circulated) so it wasn't an option for me. I'll have to give it a try on my Horde DK to see if its true.

07/28/2012 02:39 PMPosted by Aakarshan
Does "Goldshire" count as a secondary profession?

If that was one of the secondary professions, I think the young hatchlings would end up neglected.

Or at least I hope they would. You never know about what goes on in Goldshire...
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
07/28/2012 03:33 PMPosted by Joynal
First Aid - honestly have no idea. The complete seemed to trigger from channeling the bandage as opposed to the amount healed. I'll experiment and see if I can use something other than a Windwool bandage, think I have a small amount of normal wool lying around on an alt and it's easy to farm if not.

This is the one I'm most concerned about. As a tailor and a warlock, it seemed completely pointless to level and a waste of cloth. I only learned it a couple months ago so I could do the daily at the DMF and get my achievement.

Im maxed in both Archaeology and fishing so those are fine. And I'm pretty high in cooking, I could probably finish it up if I had to.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
If that was one of the secondary professions, I think the young hatchlings would end up neglected.

Or at least I hope they would. You never know about what goes on in Goldshire.
Oh, don't worry, Joy. I'd make sure the cloud serpent hatchlings got adequate attention.
Reply Quote
Is it still sticky?

And good maybe now I can get my character from being STUCK!
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Valley of the Four Winds near Pang's Stead and Thundefoot Fields is bugged like crazy - crashing about every 10 secs even if just passing over head via public kite. If that's where you logged out last, just be patient, move as far as you can until you crash, repeat until you stop crashing.

The Alliance intro quest to Jade Forest is bugged - if you have to jump off the airship into the water to get away. Not sure about Horde, I haven't tried those yet.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
07/28/2012 04:55 PMPosted by Lèah

This is the one I'm most concerned about. As a tailor and a warlock, it seemed completely pointless to level and a waste of cloth. I only learned it a couple months ago so I could do the daily at the DMF and get my achievement.

Im maxed in both Archaeology and fishing so those are fine. And I'm pretty high in cooking, I could probably finish it up if I had to.

Ok I tested the First Aid daily. I literally tested every bandage type starting with Linen then working my way up to Windwool (except Runecloth and Heavy Runecloth - didn't have the cloth, none on AH and didn't feel like running to BRS to farm some). Using any bandage left the "recently bandaged" debuff on the hatchling so I was making a circuit of 4 as I waited for debuffs to wear off.

You'll need a skill level of at least 500 to use Windwool bandages to complete this daily (Heavy Windwool bandages will also work, of course). Not even Dense Embersilk would work. Right now you can buy the bandages from First Aid vendors but I don't know if they will be there on live. Since you need a 500 skill level to make them as well, might as well just do that if you have some extra cloth lying around, or get them from another player leveling their skill.

More on the Onyx eggs - it was just a rumor that getting one while on the egg collecting quest would get you a chance at the Onyx mount. You'll just have to be satisfied from yellow, green or blue as your exalted reward. The eggs do grant 500 rep with the Order if you find and turn one into the leader of the Order.

The fun part is the egg are grey in color, not black, on an island with lots of grey rocks. They are bigger than the other eggs and have a swirling pattern on them so once you've found your first once, they aren't too difficult to identify. It's more like "is that an egg under that bush? oh it's just a shadow."
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
07/29/2012 07:12 AMPosted by Joynal
You'll need a skill level of at least 500 to use Windwool bandages to complete this daily (Heavy Windwool bandages will also work, of course). Not even Dense Embersilk would work. Right now you can buy the bandages from First Aid vendors but I don't know if they will be there on live. Since you need a 500 skill level to make them as well, might as well just do that if you have some extra cloth lying around, or get them from another player leveling their skill.

gah, that sucks. Thank you though.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Like Joynal said, the Onyx Eggs that spawn around the Windward Island work basically like the Netherwing eggs. you can turn them in for 550 rep apiece (with the guild perk). I still have one left after hitting exalted, and there's no option to turn them in anymore, so it looks like they aren't for anything besides the rep, sadly. =( Oddly enough, Wowhead says the Onyx Serpent is obtained through a quest in Townlong Steppes. Not sure if this is accurate or not.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
What I love about datamining - it never tells the entire story.

edit: I just checked the wowhead entry for the Onyx Serpent - I've done that quest! It could also explain why my Shado-Pan rep was reset to Revered and missing about 2500 gained after the last patch. I might get to do the quest again for the reward. Guess I'll find out.
Edited by Joynal on 7/29/2012 5:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
So what about the other colors? Are we just S.O.L. on the other mounts or are we going to have to start the process over again?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Are they account wide? If so, you could get them on other characters, I suppose?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
They might be account wide, I'll know that once I get through the process.

But there is a catch.

You have to learn Cloud Serpent Riding and you learn that when you complete your training and are awarded your cloud serpent mount.

Unless learning the riding is also account wide (not likely), you'll still have to repeat for your other toons that you want riding Cloud Serpents. They probably would be able to share colors at that point.

And there's might be a vendor to buy the other colors from if you don't have multiple toons you're leveling but I could be wrong on that. Still something I won't know until I hit exalted and I haven't been farming eggs that vigorously.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
So I pushed to exalted this morning to see what would happen.

Once you hit revered, you get a new set of quests separate from the dailies. I think I got roughly 4k rep from them. They train you as a rider for the Sky Races. First you learn to use the smoke rings (if you ever flew during Alysrazor fight in Firelands, this will be very familiar). Next, your instructor takes you through the course to show you what to look for. Then, you're sent to practice the course on your own. Finally, you enter into the Sky Races. Either it's been fixed that you always win, the NPC riders kinda suck or I'm just that good because I came in first my first race - reward was 15 Valor Points. I'm guessing the race is repeatable daily, at least until you get to exalted if not after.

So I have my Golden Cloud Serpent now. I'm also able to go back to riding my Thundering Jade Cloud Serpent, which was temporarily sold at the guild vendors and I managed to snag before they took them back out. Supposedly, its the reward for the Glory of the Pandaria Raider guild achievement (though the achievement doesn't list a mount color) and so makes sense that I managed to get it from the guild vendor.

Now the interesting thing is the Thundering Ruby Cloud Serpent appeared out of nowhere in my mount list. I never bought it from anyone and supposedly its the mount for exalted with August Celestials. I don't think that correct though because the vendor shows the mount as the Thundering August Cloud Serpent. So... I dunno how I got it.

If you're wondering what's the difference between the Thundering Cloud Serpents and the other ones, the Thundering have flashes of lightning along their sides. It's a pretty neat effect.

And no, learning Cloud Serpent riding isn't account wide. I popped on my DK after I got it on my priest and still showed I needed to learn from trainer, and trying to mount one of my cloud serpents got an error message "you can't use that here".

In the meantime, I can now buy items from the Cloud Serpent Quartermaster that allow me to create my own race course, both on the ground and floating. There's also an item for your flying non-combat pet that creates a smoke ring for them to fly through but it was kinda boring. Could be done better I think.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
07/31/2012 07:31 AMPosted by Joynal
First you learn to use the smoke rings (if you ever flew during Alysrazor fight in Firelands, this will be very familiar).
OH MY GOD YES.

Tell me there's an associated daily.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
I'll know tomorrow but think it probably is. Very much had the feel of a daily, esp when it rewarded Valor.

edit: dailies just reset - no race daily today. There is one listed at Wowhead so it could be one of those "some days you get it, some you won't" dailies.
Edited by Joynal on 8/1/2012 4:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]