why do roleplayers shy away to ESL players ?

90 Pandaren Priest
english isn't my first language. many of my guild members do not have english as their first language. in fact only one does. myself and my guild roleplay together a lot and it is great .

but sometimes when they are not on the game I wish to play with other members of the community. sometimes it is walkup as when their profile says they like walkup roleplay. some people like to talk before, which I do.

some people have no issue, but some do not wish to play or roleplay with me because english is not my first language. they actually say it, sometimes as they are afraid I cannot be understood or it will ruin their experience.

now I am a draenei. would a draenei not naturally have a sort of language barrier?

I don't think I am a bad roleplayer, as I do research on everything with lore for my class and race and the setting of the game as best I can . i'm not a vampire, or a dragon or a demon / demon hunter or godmod or such. Do not claim to be amazingly beautiful and get any partner in a minute , or head of cathedral or extremely skilled priest or fighter. I do not go around wanting erp or wearing revealing clothes or getting upset with other people decisions for their characters OOC. I am just a regular draenei priest IC.

I don't think I am a hard person to understand - sometimes I may need to rephrase a sentence but a large amount of time people understand what I say to them.

so have I had some bad luck with people I talk to, or are many of the people here have issues with people with english as a second language?
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Priest
I’ve roleplayed with people that I never would have guessed were ESL. I’ve also roleplayed with people who knew only English and couldn’t put together a proper sentence to save their life.

If someone is more concerned about your primary language than interacting with your character, find other people to play with. Some people just like being mean and want any excuse to pick on others, even if we’re all in a fantasy setting doing fantasy things.

Don’t give up.
Reply Quote
I think you've had some bad luck. I will avoid someone RPing in chatspeak before I avoid someone with difficulty in English. Personally, I RP my Draenei as one who has difficulty speaking and understanding Common, so I think that may help you there.

07/30/2012 06:53 AMPosted by Vandrysse
If someone is more concerned about your primary language than interacting with your character, find other people to play with.

I agree with this statement.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
thank you for the words of encouragement =)

hopefully I can find people who may be willing to tolerate my language barriers and languages.

it is just a shame that some people are so prejudice on such trivial matters
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
07/30/2012 07:57 AMPosted by Kolaron
http://i.imgur.com/0Fdef.jpg

I don't get this reference . xD
Reply Quote
07/30/2012 08:09 AMPosted by Psionic
http://i.imgur.com/0Fdef.jpg

I do, and I facepalmed IRL.

He says that in all our raids.
Reply Quote
95 Orc Shaman
I've never had issues with people RPing who were ESL. Heck, I've RPed in other languages (badly) using Google Translate before. RP is RP, and as long as you can understand what's happening or what's being said to a reasonable level? It's fine!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Hunter
Even though I don't RP, I do feel ya on the ESL situation myself. (Born a Spanish speaker, learned English by 2nd grade).

The people who are "afraid" it'll ruin their experience are probably the ones not worth RPing with imo.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I speak Swedish naturally and of course have learn English in Sweden, but only started really to begin speaking English two years ago.

I believe I am going well though xD
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
Thats the one awkward thing I've noticed since being on WrA. Apparently a lot more people learned Swedish than I knew o-o I thought it would be one of those languages that wouldn't be too common in WoW much less a Western Time Zone server.

I learned it back in High School and it's by far my favorite language so far <3 Spanish, no offensive, just gets annoying after a while.
Reply Quote
Americans are so used to things just being "American" that they often (not all, and not always) assume that (a) they are dealing with Americans while they themselves are in America and (b) that if you're not an American speaking English, they don't want to deal with you.

I can't tell if it's a cultural thing unique to Americans, or unique to all cultures who are dominant in the world, or just a result of a large portion of America being populated by really stupid people. I'll leave that up to you to decide.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Paladin
07/30/2012 08:10 AMPosted by Astrid

<3 Don't give up Astrid. *casts Rallying Cry*
Reply Quote
90 Undead Hunter
Thats the one awkward thing I've noticed since being on WrA. Apparently a lot more people learned Swedish than I knew o-o I thought it would be one of those languages that wouldn't be too common in WoW much less a Western Time Zone server.

I learned it back in High School and it's by far my favorite language so far <3 Spanish, no offensive, just gets annoying after a while.

None taken :P It's mostly the Mexican accent that annoys the hell out of me. (especially if their linguo).
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
I honestly don't know anyone who is ESL, but I think other countries are neat, and I tend to ask questions (if I know in which country you reside that isn't America) a lot. World history and culture has always been really interesting to me.
Reply Quote

Come back to us, Cag. :C

07/30/2012 09:06 AMPosted by Kolaron
I honestly don't know anyone who is ESL, but I think other countries are neat, and I tend to ask questions (if I know in which country you reside that isn't America) a lot. World history and culture has always been really interesting to me.

We have several non-Americans in guild, Rucker. :P
Edited by Astrid on 7/30/2012 9:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter

I only know Nas is. And she's only hard to understand when she's completely hammered. :(
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Paladin
:/ I would love to, but alas I am trying to get my raiders through heroic DS.

I still brag about you guys and how you helped my Warrior <3333

Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Paladin
Also, more on Topic, I blame the shying away from ESL players on the lack of patience.

Because people are just...so stupid sometimes.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]