Regarding the cheating in STV Fishing Comp

I'd like to ask the players of this server, those who actually care, and the GMs, what the position is regarding people cheating during the STV Fishing Extraveganza.

I am fairly new to this server, having just moved to Canada from Europe, and for the past 2 Sundays have tried the STV fishing competition. The last time I tried this competition was pre-Cataclysm, so of course there were no flying mounts in Stranglethorn at that time.

On both attempts I was saddened that some players had taken to what I consider arranged cheating. They would get a couple of their guildmates to fly up and down the coast on their flying mounts, and then "land" on top of any fishing pools any other players were using so they couldn't click the bobber to fish.

Yesterday Mcpounding (from Judge Jury and Executor guild) won the fishing contest using this tactic. His two guildmates Fäde and Reel were flying up and down and blocking other contenders from looting their fish. This happened to me 7 or 8 times during the contest. Given it took me easily twice as long to get the fish as usual because of this, and I still got 30 even then, I feel I could have won if it weren't for these tactics. The winner (Mcpounding) didn't win because he was the most skilled fishermen, just because he was the 1 player who chose to cheat.

I reported the players involved for cheating using the in-game system, but ofc I will probably never know if any action was taken. Would the GMs even consider this cheating? I have no idea.

I just want to ask the GMs what do they advise honest competitors like myself do about this?

Choices are

a) Stop taking part, but if every honest competitor did this it would just become a competition where only cheats take part
b) Keep reporting these people each week until some action is taken. But would any action ever be taken?
c) Employ these tactics myself and get my guildmates to come and do the same thing and block other players.

Unless the GMs take action against this, I see c) as my only option. But STV is supposed to be a fun competition, not one which is won by who can cheat the best?

I just want to know where I stand because I'd hate to use c) above, but if the GMs won't do anything about this, what other choice is there?

Thanks for your time,
Maplebunny
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Yeah it sucks, I gave up on after two straight months for the same reason. It is annoying but I really don't see how else you can win it.
Reply Quote
Hi thanks for the reply.

Well there are only 2 ways

1) GMs start banning people who do it as a deterrent

2) Employ the same tactics.

I think what I will do on Sunday is take a couple of guildies with me "just in case". This is advisable anyway to prevent ganking. But I won't employ those tactics unless any more lame players like Judge Jury Executor starting doing it, then I'll just do it back.

I don't like it - but what other choice is there? Unless we can get a blue post on here saying that GMs are prepared to take action against this kind of behaviour.

What's worse it took Mcpounding over 20 mins to win the competition on Sunday, with nobody blocking him, which is an eternity in the STV fishing comp. I think several people would have finished ahead of him if he hadn't done it.

It is cheating, and it is harassment, after all.
Maple.
Edited by Maplebunny on 7/30/2012 5:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
OR beat them at their own game, do a /who of their guild and find out who the likely person they're trying to get the achievement for and trail him for the hour. It's not much fun when you become the target of your own game.
Reply Quote
Yeah I think on Sunday that's what I'll do. Will take 2 or 3 guildies with me (advisable for anti-gank protection anyway).

If everyone plays fair, so will I. The moment I get blocked by anyone, my guildies will dedicate their entire time in STV blocking their guildy's fisherman.

Wish I'd have done that to Mcpounding because he was a lousy slow fisherman who just didn't deserve to win.
Reply Quote
You could just cry a river of tears and fish from that.
Reply Quote
Lululives if you can't add anything constructive why bother postsing? What do you gain from trolling like this?
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
I'd like to ask the players of this server, those who actually care, and the GMs, what the position is regarding people cheating during the STV Fishing Extraveganza.

I am fairly new to this server, having just moved to Canada from Europe, and for the past 2 Sundays have tried the STV fishing competition. The last time I tried this competition was pre-Cataclysm, so of course there were no flying mounts in Stranglethorn at that time.

On both attempts I was saddened that some players had taken to what I consider arranged cheating. They would get a couple of their guildmates to fly up and down the coast on their flying mounts, and then "land" on top of any fishing pools any other players were using so they couldn't click the bobber to fish.

Yesterday Mcpounding (from Judge Jury and Executor guild) won the fishing contest using this tactic. His two guildmates Fäde and Reel were flying up and down and blocking other contenders from looting their fish. This happened to me 7 or 8 times during the contest. Given it took me easily twice as long to get the fish as usual because of this, and I still got 30 even then, I feel I could have won if it weren't for these tactics. The winner (Mcpounding) didn't win because he was the most skilled fishermen, just because he was the 1 player who chose to cheat.

I reported the players involved for cheating using the in-game system, but ofc I will probably never know if any action was taken. Would the GMs even consider this cheating? I have no idea.

I just want to ask the GMs what do they advise honest competitors like myself do about this?

Choices are

a) Stop taking part, but if every honest competitor did this it would just become a competition where only cheats take part
b) Keep reporting these people each week until some action is taken. But would any action ever be taken?
c) Employ these tactics myself and get my guildmates to come and do the same thing and block other players.

Unless the GMs take action against this, I see c) as my only option. But STV is supposed to be a fun competition, not one which is won by who can cheat the best?

I just want to know where I stand because I'd hate to use c) above, but if the GMs won't do anything about this, what other choice is there?

Thanks for your time,
Maplebunny

People have been pool griefing the fishing contest since it was instituted.
Reply Quote
I haven't done the fishing contest in Cataclysm since I took a 1+ year break when I was previously playing on EU. So pre-cata people did not have flying mounts.

It's not impossible to pool-block without a flying mount, but it is a lot more cumbersome to try to do so. I used to do the fishing contest quite a lot and did not have any pool-blocking at all prior to flying mounts, so the introduction of flying mounts in Azeroth has been the main catalyst for this.

One solution would be for Blizzard to set it so flying isn't allowed during the fishing contest. Those people leveling in STV are too low level for flying mounts anyway so it won't affect them, and would make it a lot more difficult for people to get their guild-mates to pool-block.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
I haven't done the fishing contest in Cataclysm since I took a 1+ year break when I was previously playing on EU. So pre-cata people did not have flying mounts.

It's not impossible to pool-block without a flying mount, but it is a lot more cumbersome to try to do so. I used to do the fishing contest quite a lot and did not have any pool-blocking at all prior to flying mounts, so the introduction of flying mounts in Azeroth has been the main catalyst for this.

One solution would be for Blizzard to set it so flying isn't allowed during the fishing contest. Those people leveling in STV are too low level for flying mounts anyway so it won't affect them, and would make it a lot more difficult for people to get their guild-mates to pool-block.

The situation was actually worse back when there were no flying mounts because you had 200 people taking the same paths going up and down the coasts for the limited spawning pools. Griefing and ganking were much more prevalent and a team was rather mandatory, especially considering how this was the top twinking server for 19/29's in the years past.
Reply Quote
Well, I thought it was rather witty.
Reply Quote
08/02/2012 07:21 PMPosted by Lululives
Well, I thought it was rather witty.

It was. Good humor isn't appreciated anymore, everyone wants hugs and easily loot.
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Hunter
I couldn't agree with you more Mikeo.
Reply Quote
@Lululives - well I guess you're right. Witty trolling isn't as bad as mindless trolling :)

@Mikeo - maybe I just was on a better server for this back on EU. Pre-cata I never had any problems with anybody forming teams. I was just individual fishers, and most of us brought a guildy along just for gank protection.

From what research I've done this behaviour is considered harassment by Blizzard, but they stop short of blanket saying it's against the rules, but they rather people report it on a case by case basis.

If Blizzard would be a bit more vocal and pro-active about this, and people could see that people were actually getting bans because of it, then they'd think twice before doing this.

Last week Mcpounding/Judge Jury Executor was the only "team" doing this, so it's not like it's a massive teamfest or anything. My observations so far is that this is mostly individuals just wanting to compete fairly.

Anyway next time I get time to do this I'll just bring a couple of guildies along. If everyone plays fair, so will I. If some bright spark decides to get his guildies to block others, then I'll set my guildies onto them. Or I'll just hang it and camp the guy myself. Even if it means I don't win myself I'd rather deter people for future occasions.

Maple.
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Paladin
First off, I'm sorry that happened to you. If I remember correctly things like sitting on fishing bobbers / blocking mailboxes can be considered griefing and is reportable if I do remember correctly.

Secondly, please don't look bad upon Judge Jury Executioners for these few guild members poor sportsmanship. If you would, please contact me in game (I'm an officer) next time you are online. I'm an altoholic, so if you just do a /who Judge Jury and look for either Combatnurse, Holyberry, Selenê, Shearah or Shrubbereh, or just ask someone if Combatnurse is on, I would like to speak with you.
Reply Quote
Hi Combatnurse.

I should be online tonight so I will look out for you. I have some low levels alts but being new to this server (and indeed, this continent!) Maplebunny is my only high level character at the moment.

I did try to reason with Mcpounding prior to the contest. I wished him luck when I saw him on the coast waiting for the contest to start and he replied saying "look man nothing personal, but you will get blocked really badly". When I asked him not to get his guildmates to block people, he just said "it's just the way the game is played". I took some screenshots of Fäde and Reel blocking, which I also offered to send to the GMs when I reported them, but I never heard anything back from them.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to reply. It is good to know that the officers of your guild care about the conduct of your members.

Maple.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Hi,

I will talk to McPounding regarding the blocking the pool thing against fellow Horde players. We should only harrass those Alliance types (especially those steenking gnomes!). However :

1) PvP during the fishing contest has been around since it was introduced. In the early days it was surprising anyone could fish, as there were actual PvP guilds out there. (and this made the contest even more fun - that's why we're on a PvP server)
2) Pool blocking is shady, but has been around since the beginning of the contest too. I'm less of a fan of this as there is no retribution option.
3) I do know Blizz used to ban for harrassment when there was no PvP option (such as your example above). I do not know what their stance on this is anymore. They don't document hard and fast rules as the game GMs seem to be given some latitude on how to apply "the law". Ditto their "privacy" rules on whether a ban was applied (I don't like it, but it's applied consistently)
4) You definitely SHOULD bring friends/guildies when you do this, or many other contests that expose one to world PvP.
5) It's Judge Jury Executioner, not Judge Jury and Executor!
6) If you go to Armory, the Rank 2 folks are all the officer toons. If any of them are on when the pool sitting is happening, let us know.

T
Edited by Tchahntos on 8/3/2012 4:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]