DK Tanking Guide (5.1)

Nope. I have no addons currently running. They are all out of date.
86 Dwarf Death Knight
Okay I'm total noob about DKs but why is Gnome Parry rating calculated differently from others...tried looking through racials but nothing there should affect parry?
90 Tauren Death Knight
Gnomes have a lower base strength by just enough that they only get .21% parry from base strength at lvl 90 instead of .22% like everyone else. It's a difference of .01% parry, so I'ts not anything to worry about :)
90 Draenei Death Knight
From a math stand point some races have more of a base stat and some do not. Unfortunately for Gnome is that they have the lowest base strength in the game. The lowest strength for races for horde races is still higher than gnomes. The highest strength races is Tauren and Dwarf and they both have 10 more strength than a gnome. That base strength is actually enough to be noticeable. Also keep in mind that numbers have to round down and not up which is why gnomes at base can end up lower. If they had even 1 or 2 more strength it could have pushed them over.
86 Dwarf Death Knight
Ah...not worried, just wondered where it came from;) Thanks guys

I knew the sexiness didn't come without a price tag
Edited by Pinjata on 9/12/2012 12:08 PM PDT
90 Draenei Death Knight
Ah...not worried, just wondered where it came from;) Thanks guys

I knew the sexiness didn't come without a price tag

It goes both ways though. As Rogues gnomes have the 2nd highest Agi in the game only bested by Night Elves. As a Mage or Warlock they have the absolute highest Int and as a Priest they are still the highest int tied with blood elves. It's as a DK or Warrior though where they are the lowest. The lowest horde as warriors are still 2 higher and nightelves barely beat gnomes by 1 strength as a warrior.
90 Night Elf Death Knight
I seem to have things to fix, according to this.

I realize I may not be the best person to hold a debate over this, but was AMZ covered in the course of this thread? It may be purely situational, however, to me AMZ is amazing to have as Blood, if only they'd fix the numbers the ability scales with. Around 40,000 absorb at 85 (can't recall from in-game right now) seems awfully low. Of note, I do see why Lichborne is favored.

The only other note I have is that RC seems to be more fun for me than RE. I may lose a DS here and there, but at least I get to finally have fun playing a DK!

Bump and Sticky request will be put in shortly.
90 Draenei Death Knight
A theoretical thing is what some like. Many will lean to things like Lichborne and Blood Tap because they want control. For example Lichborne doubles as a way to get out of a fear. So they may pick that over AMZ. This can be partly because we already have AMS. Others will go with Purgatory. I for example have settled on Purgatory to help keep repair costs down. Blood Tap is more controlled rune return so can be considered ease of life in a pinch. RE requires gaming which is not truly difficult but some may like or hate that. RC is more controlled. Truly they're all apples or oranges.

A simulator may favor one of the other. If you want controlled death strikes then you may favor Blood Tap. If you are fine with gaming runes and gamble proc then Runic Empowerment. If you want controlled runes where you can see what is coming in the pipeline then you can be all over runic corruption. While I'm not married to most things I went with Purgatory as a gold saver. AMZ is great for a spell heavy fight for the raid but at the same token I don't think a raid/group should depend on that. Lichborne is likely the most useful assuming you've pooled RP to use it. Ideally the guide should be neutral however especially in regards to talents.

Even look at the tier 1. Roiling Blood is just ease of life for aoe tanking while a sim can be all over Plague Leech. It goes both ways though as a guide writer. Should he promote Plague Leech which could be argued as better for single target or should he push Roiling Blood for easy disease spread or should he instead go for Unholy Blight since many aoe packs are in short bursts? Really it more comes down to fight specifics that can favor anything. He did try to promote a 5 man spec versus a raiding one for that reason. Meanwhile it can be considered true that some fights favor an ability more. As an example roiling blood is useless on a single target boss like Ultraxion.
90 Undead Death Knight
Roiling Blood Roiling Blood Roiling Blood!! woot I love this =) I <3 Tor
90 Draenei Death Knight
Only time I could see Roiling Blood as being more of a problem at the moment is spine just because depending on how close anything is to a corruption you can easily dot them getting an extra amalg.
100 Gnome Death Knight
09/11/2012 08:07 AMPosted by Hajï
I'm fairly sure that SoB stacks were just implemented for Death Knights to want to reforge into hit/exp (like 5.0 made every other tank want).

Actually, this was done to replace the old Improved Death Strike talent which increased healing by 45%.
90 Tauren Death Knight
09/12/2012 11:00 PMPosted by Daemortia
Actually, this was done to replace the old Improved Death Strike talent which increased healing by 45%.

Well to be exact it was done to enhance the idea of that talent and making it more dynamic and interesting, by allowing us to (slightly) affect it with different stats. Has it worked? Not really. The age old arguments for hit/exp of more dps and reliable Death Strikes are much better arguments than less chance of losing an SoB stack in a given window. Especially if death strike still healing/shielding through dodges and misses after 5.0.4 ends up being intended.
100 Gnome Death Knight
I was referring to SoB stacks, not hit/exp capping.
90 Tauren Death Knight
I know, but making tanks want hit/exp a bit more was the whole driving force behind the introduction of SoB stacks.
100 Draenei Death Knight
09/12/2012 02:04 PMPosted by Tor
Only time I could see Roiling Blood as being more of a problem at the moment is spine just because depending on how close anything is to a corruption you can easily dot them getting an extra amalg.

Every week I unspec from Rolling Blood, do H Spine with no Tier 1 talents, then respec into Rolling Blood for H Madness. I have no complaints so far other than it's just a waste of dust.
90 Tauren Death Knight
Or you can be a boss like me and forget to switch out of rolling blood before starting the fight and not being able to blood boil hardly at all :)

goodbye diseases uptime
Edited by Reniat on 9/13/2012 1:22 AM PDT
90 Undead Death Knight
We are highly rated, but we are not sticky yet :)

Also, updated the guide with an "advanced playstyle" section where I get to do the fun hardmode theory stuff where lines become blurred and abstract :)

And i've already corrected myself 3 times since submitting it. I need an editor XD
that or they just need to better incorporate grammar syntax into spell check software.
notice how neither of those options involve me actually working to fix my grammar before I submit :)

awe dangit, well we will get there! keep it up =)
64 Draenei Death Knight
Or you can be a boss like me and forget to switch out of rolling blood before starting the fight and not being able to blood boil hardly at all :)

goodbye diseases uptime

Really? I just go to town with roiling blood and havent had an issue. Well except that healers are mad at me for killing too many bloods.
90 Tauren Death Knight
09/13/2012 11:04 AMPosted by Runtime
I just go to town with roiling blood and
09/13/2012 11:04 AMPosted by Runtime
healers are mad at me for killing too many bloods.

:)
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]