DK Tanking Guide (5.1)

90 Blood Elf Death Knight
FINALY!!! someone that gave me the information the way i can understand it. THANK YOU
Gratz on the sticky.
90 Tauren Death Knight
10/02/2012 05:41 AMPosted by Raidbosslol
Probably worded my question a bit awkwardly. What I mean is will we want to use helm, shoulder, chest, gloves, and legs as tier or will one of those pieces be better served with a non tier piece? Still keeping the 4 piece set bonus of course.

The t14 set is actually somewhat interesting. The 4pc is +10% heals from DS, which ends up being half of an SoB stack (the 10% is multiplicative, not additive.). the DK tier 14 gear is very poorly itemized, however, with only 2 piece of gear having mastery on them and all but 1 piece having an accuracy stat on it (which we don't really care for unless you are going for hit/exp caps).

If you were to only get the 2pc from the pieces with mastery, and ignore the tier pieces in favor of better optimized gear, you would actually end up with a similar amount of shield from mastery as you would with the 4pc, but without the raw healing done in front. This means that you can basically replace the "+10% to DS healing recieved" with "+10 percent raw heal and some free hit/exp worth about +4% dps". It's not game breaking, but it's still worth doing.
TL;DR both set bonuses are worth getting, but the 4pc is a bit lackluster.

Now to answer your actual question, you'll want to use the tier legs and shoulders for sure, since they both have mastery. After that you'd ideally use hands/chest tier and use Giantfoot Headguard for a helm. Of course you don't decide what order you will get your tier, so what you use will more than likely be decided by which 4 pieces you have until you can get the optimal pieces.
Edited by Reniat on 10/17/2012 12:43 AM PDT
90 Tauren Death Knight
10/02/2012 07:08 AMPosted by Alphounse
I love this forums thread. Reniat, I have a raid this tuesday, I'm with a new guild and it's important for me to do well but after reading this guide and following it's instructions that suit my gameplay, I can easily say I have nothing to worry about. Thanks again bro, this is a nice one.

I'm glad you found it helpful
Edited by Reniat on 10/2/2012 12:07 PM PDT
90 Undead Death Knight
and....now its sticky time!! gratz all DKS
90 Worgen Death Knight
I just want to say this is a great thread, and I've learned a lot also that hit/exp to cap is a good build as well(do not like seeing the miss on my attacks come up at all).

Also I think you should edit the professions part of your guide, seeing as the ring enchants give 240 stam per enchant instead of the said 160, giving you a total of 480 stam over the said 320.

Don't whether this is a bug ingame or a tooltip error but I suggest changing the guide just in case.
90 Tauren Death Knight
At 480 stamina enchanting is on the same level as most other professions, so it's probably intended. I'll update the guide to reflect this.
Edited by Reniat on 10/3/2012 3:00 AM PDT
100 Night Elf Death Knight
I'm curious here because I'm trying to get geared out to tank raids for the guild and I keep looking at gear and getting confused. I'm well aware that Mastery >>>>>>>>>>>> Parry/Dodge, but by how much exactly? How much Mastery is it ok to sack parry and dodge for? Example:

Angerforged Stompers or Mindfire Sollerets

There's a ton of stuff with dodge/parry on it, but not that much with mastery/dodge or mastery/parry. So, how much mastery makes it ok to toss out the parry and dodge?
90 Tauren Death Knight
In general a tank piece with 2 avoidance stats will do more for overall mitigation than a dps piece with mastery and a non-tank stat, but it depends on how much mastery you gain with the dps piece. In this case, the loss of 166 mastery (after reforging both pieces) is worth the 400+ avoidance you gain by using the tank piece. If the mastery were higher on the other piece, and it was losing say 300 mastery for 400 avoidance, then i'd choose the mastery dps piece.

At what ratio you would choose the dps piece is up to you and how much you value mastery beyond the raw mitigation. In other words, how much value do you put in the control of mastery and how much overall mitigation would you be willing to lose for the sake of a bit more control. For me, i value control pretty highly, so i'd be pretty willing to take a slight drop in overall mitigation if it meant more mastery, but it comes down to you and your playstyle. In general though, it takes quite a lot of mastery on a dps piece to outweigh a double avoidance tank piece.
Edited by Reniat on 10/5/2012 12:09 AM PDT
100 Night Elf Death Knight
Thanks for the response, I'll just have to sit down and stare at the heroic loot lists for awhile to figure it all out.
90 Human Death Knight
Hi guys, quick question when it comes to parry/dodge

The macro in the first post suggest I have a very small amount of parry compared to dodge yet the post goes on to say I need at least 3x the amount of parry vs dodge. Right now I am sitting at almost 20% parry and only 7% dodge, would this be the right way to go? My mastery is still low due to lack of gear options but I usually reforge into mastery/parry. Have no had any issues in normals at the moment, but I am worried once I get geared for heroics I could be misplaced stat wise
Edited by Bulgingpants on 10/5/2012 6:13 AM PDT
90 Draenei Death Knight
10/05/2012 06:09 AMPosted by Bulgingpants
The macro in the first post suggest I have a very small amount of parry compared to dodge yet the post goes on to say I need at least 3x the amount of parry vs dodge.

Having 3x the amount of parry% as dodge% is what the ratio progresses to as you get more dodge/parry rating. Initially, you don't need it to be that high.

Use the macro.
90 Worgen Rogue
I understand that DK's have great options for equipment to give them dodge and parry but what I don't understand is the apparent issue that Tank DK's have with keeping aggro when fighting multiple mobs.

I have seen a few keep aggro on some of the mobs but generally speaking the aggro is all over the place when fighting in a random with a DK tank and it isn't issolated like with other classes where you have say one warrior that just cant keep aggro, it is so widespread that seems like the whole DK class needs to have DnD reworked so aggro can be help better or something.

It has got so tiring of dying multiple times in the same exact place cause we have a DK tank when I have been past that point numerous other times with no problems with a different class tanking. Even the new Monk's seem to do better tanking.

So my question is what is the cause of this? Seems more then a player having issues with his class since it happens so often. Once we where discussing it while waiting for a new tank after kicking one and came to the conclusion that maybe they should remove the option for DK's to tank, that is how bad it has gotten with having to pay repair costs after wiping so many times in a row.
90 Tauren Death Knight
I haven't seen too many DK tanks having issues, though we don't have as much quite as much instant aggro as we did at the end of cata so it's possible that there are more DKs having trouble more than there used to be. That said, I have to ask how you are behaving as a DPS on the pulls that you are having issues with. Are you giving the tank some time to build aoe threat before going all out on a mob that the tank may or may not have been hitting? or are you bursting aoe damage immediately after the tank pulls when he has low levels of vengeance and may not even have diseases out yet?

Also, you're a rogue. They didn't remove tricks did they?
90 Human Death Knight
I understand that DK's have great options for equipment to give them dodge and parry but what I don't understand is the apparent issue that Tank DK's have with keeping aggro when fighting multiple mobs.

I have seen a few keep aggro on some of the mobs but generally speaking the aggro is all over the place when fighting in a random with a DK tank and it isn't issolated like with other classes where you have say one warrior that just cant keep aggro, it is so widespread that seems like the whole DK class needs to have DnD reworked so aggro can be help better or something.

It has got so tiring of dying multiple times in the same exact place cause we have a DK tank when I have been past that point numerous other times with no problems with a different class tanking. Even the new Monk's seem to do better tanking.

So my question is what is the cause of this? Seems more then a player having issues with his class since it happens so often. Once we where discussing it while waiting for a new tank after kicking one and came to the conclusion that maybe they should remove the option for DK's to tank, that is how bad it has gotten with having to pay repair costs after wiping so many times in a row.
Abundance of bad players, however if you are chain pulling constantly we do sometimes run into issues with aggro and thats where tab/heart striking is out only option. I have been in blood from 1-90 and have never had issues tanking, with the queue times the way it is I would chalk it up to dps players rerolling to tank spec and thinking all they have to do is auto attack.
90 Undead Death Knight
@Reniat.. Are you gearing more for challenge modes at the moment with that Runeforge and a few other things?
90 Tauren Death Knight
10/05/2012 11:57 PMPosted by Jínxs
@Reniat.. Are you gearing more for challenge modes at the moment with that Runeforge and a few other things?
Close. I'm gearing for elegon's enrage timer.
90 Worgen Rogue
I use tricks of the trade but it is only temporary and then the aggro comes back to me.

Also they seem to do fine at first it is after a little bit into the fight that they lose aggro and it goes to someone else, usually the healer but I have seen different mobs go to different people then the DK is running around like mad trying to collect them all and that is where the wipes happen.

Oh and also I regularly have more hit points then the DK, better dps and worse armor. The better dps seems to make it so they transfer threat to me more often.
Edited by Alardias on 10/6/2012 10:15 PM PDT
90 Worgen Rogue
I have a DK tank also but dont use him. I dont like the changes, he worked so well in WotLK but now he just has issues and wasnt in the mood to fix them.
90 Undead Death Knight

Oh and also I regularly have more hit points then the DK, better dps and worse armor. The better dps seems to make it so they transfer threat to me more often.

You have more than 500k hp unbuffed as a rogue? I don't believe I've ever lost aggro to single target or AoE in MoP. Hell, even some of the best dps on my server couldn't pull agro while I kite-tanked all of SM for the Stay Dead cheeve(if they can't pull off a DK there, they can't anywhere). Pretty sure your entire post is a troll unless you're dabbling in lvl 87 dungeons or consistently puging the worst keyboard-turning tanks I could ever imagine.
Edited by Jínxs on 10/6/2012 11:28 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]