DK Tanking Guide (5.1)

64 Draenei Death Knight
So I did a little testing on a dummy and it seems the 10% buff to death strike heal from the 4 piece does affect blood shield.
90 Tauren Death Knight
mhmm. looks like they sneaked a hot fix in sometime last week.
90 Draenei Death Knight
It was going to happen eventually. Blizzard has done it in the past to with trinkets that survive multiple tiers. Like when there was a Darkmoon Trinket for dps that lasted a long time.
90 Night Elf Death Knight
I read through the topic, so enlighten me if I missed it. The stam vs. mastery argument.

It's different for almost every fight, even an avoidance build will be better for some. I personally stack stam, considering i still have a fair amount of mastery. I also believe the 4-set bonus is not worth getting, but the 2-set defiantly is (Legs and shoulders).

You can have more active mitigation, in my opinion by just having more mastery based gear.

that's just my tanking style and opinion though.
90 Tauren Death Knight
I'm not really sure what your point is. It sounds like you found a certain level of EH that fits you and your raid, which is what I recommend in the guide. Yay.

Also, how do you figure the 4pc isnt worth getting? It's been hotfixed to affect blood shield, so it's now even more fantastic than before.
Edited by Reniat on 12/10/2012 7:07 PM PST
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Oh i didn't see it was hotfixed to affect blood shield, i'll look into that.
90 Human Death Knight
Hey guys. Would anyone mind terribly taking a look at my armory and judging my placement of stats?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/proudmoore/Deusmorte/advanced

Currently sitting at 592k HP, 95.56% mastery, 20.52% parry, 9.56% dodge. All unbuffed, of course.

Still a bit under hit cap, but it doesn't appear to be a problem when I raid so I'm not too worried about it.
90 Orc Death Knight
Hey guys. Would anyone mind terribly taking a look at my armory and judging my placement of stats?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/proudmoore/Deusmorte/advanced

Currently sitting at 592k HP, 95.56% mastery, 20.52% parry, 9.56% dodge. All unbuffed, of course.

Still a bit under hit cap, but it doesn't appear to be a problem when I raid so I'm not too worried about it.

You need to ditch a lot of your stamina in favor of more Mastery.
All of your blue sockets can either be hit/mastery or stam/mastery, but you don't need to be gemming pure stamina especially with your trinkets. Put mastery enchant on your bracers.

Your reforging needs some work: Don't reforge out of Mastery on your weapon.
Both of your rings, bracers, and shoulders need to be reforged into Mastery.

Replace your Brewfest trinket with something else -- Heart of Fire would probably be better.

Run the macro on the first page for Dodge/Parry to see which one you need to be re-forging out of.
Edited by Zionic on 12/11/2012 10:08 PM PST
90 Tauren Death Knight
I'm more concerned with your choice of RE than your emphasis on stam. While stam stacking is viable, is there a reason you're running with so much? As Zionic said, there are quite a few places for optimization in reforging. There are pieces without mastery than need it, and pieces with mastery and need to but un-reforged out of it.
90 Human Death Knight
Alright guys, thanks for the feedback. I took some advice and reforged things into mastery and did some regemming. Went from +3194 stam and +1110 mastery to +2594 stam and +1910 mastery.

And Reniat, what do you mean by RE? I couldn't figure that out.

Thanks again, guys.
90 Tauren Death Knight
RE = Runic Empowerment
90 Human Death Knight
Oh, to be honest once I went through talents I never gave them a second look. Everything I have tends to work out pretty well for me.
90 Worgen Death Knight
Wanna get a review of my gear and current reforges and chants.

Right now I'm going for a bit more mastery while still keeping my hit and exp as close to the cap as I can. For my stam I feel that I have it at a comfortable lvl.

Any feedback would be helpfull
90 Tauren Death Knight
Gemming:
I'd avoid using stam gems unless you REALLY need them to get the EH you need. The reason is you get much less stam for mastery lost via gems versus getting stam through trinkets. For example, look at Vial of Dragon's Blood and Lao-Chin's Liquid Courage. By using the stam trinket here instead of the mastery trinket (ignoring the bonuses) you are trading 1079 mastery for 1619 stamina. That means you are getting 1.5 stam for every 1 mastery lost.

Now compare Solid River's Heart with Fractured Sun's Radiance. You are trading 320 mastery for 240 stamina, which means you are getting .75 stam for every 1 point in mastery lost. Now, that's with 2 pure gems, but the same rule applies with hybrid gems since they are half of each side.

Basically what this all means is that if you need more EH, go to trinkets first as you get a lot more stam per mastery, and only gem for pure stam if you actually need to go above and beyond double stam trinkets (which happens).

hit/exp:
you are slightly over the hit cap. anything over 7.5% is a waste, so try to avoid that. also, if you are trying to boost dps don't neglect expertise. While it's arguably not as good as hit in that rune strike can't be dodged or parried, the two stats are actually pretty close in terms of DPS per point.

Trinket:
I'd try to get rid of that trinket asap. Even Iron Protector Talisman would be a better choice. If you can afford it, try to get your hands on Relic of Niuzao.

Other than those things everything seems to be in order :)
Edited by Reniat on 12/13/2012 11:31 PM PST
90 Human Death Knight
Being newish to the whole DK tanking thing (tanked in cata on a pally) I was hoping to get my gear looked at as well.

I finally got the rep with Shado-Pan to get my trinket but I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to drop my Heart of Fire for Lao-Chin's Liquid Courage. And having the darkmoon trinket Im honestly not sure what I should be running. Granted we are slowly progressing in our raiding but most of our problems stem from our group meshing together and not from gear issues.
90 Tauren Death Knight
12/14/2012 11:31 PMPosted by Deafgrip
most of our problems stem from our group meshing together and not from gear issues.
that doesn't mean you shouldn't min/max :)

If it were me i'd probably replace Relic of Niuzao with Lao-Chin's Liquid Courage, and then replace Heart of Fire with whatever form of Vial of Dragon's Blood you can get first.

as far as the overall gear check is concerned, you should put Enchant Bracer - Mastery on your bracers, and for the sake of diminishing returns i'd reforge parry -> mastery instead of dodge -> mastery on your bracers and legs, since you get the same amount of mastery either way.
Edited by Reniat on 12/15/2012 1:32 AM PST
90 Draenei Death Knight
I've been tanking with Upgraded Heart of Fire and the Valor trinket. For Blade Lord I'd swap to another stam trinket just for the 2nd strikes later in the fight or maybe a fight that is spell heavy. I don't have Relic of Niz yet but a guild officer was asking me if I needed it. Tanking is my offspec just when they do 2 10's they use me to tank. I don't have Vial yet. If I do get it then it's likely going to be from LFR. Too many tanks and since it's my offspec I have to pass to people. So like tanking with a 450 belt while a warrior with a 463 gets the belt off stoneguard...
90 Tauren Death Knight
12/15/2012 10:15 AMPosted by Tor
For Blade Lord I'd swap to another stam trinket just for the 2nd strikes later in the fight

I actually prefer going heavy mitigation and using BT to stack death strikes before each overwhelming assault. That's a bit more work than an extra stam trinket though :)
90 Draenei Death Knight
12/15/2012 10:55 AMPosted by Reniat
For Blade Lord I'd swap to another stam trinket just for the 2nd strikes later in the fight

I actually prefer going heavy mitigation and using BT to stack death strikes before each overwhelming assault. That's a bit more work than an extra stam trinket though :)

I do shield stack before it as well. It's more when I have to deal with going from the top dps to being a tank so the fight goes a bit longer than I'd like. I was also doing it as 470's geared. I've now adjusted things to about 527k unbuffed so the 2 stam trinkets is prolly not necessary. But when I had 2 stam trinkets i also soaked a 3rd strike on normal. Insurance I guess.
90 Tauren Death Knight
makes sense
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]