DK Tanking Guide (5.1)

90 Tauren Death Knight
Plague leech will be for single target.
Roiling blood will be for fights where multiple adds are spawned, like on Yorsahj.
Unholy blight will be for aoe fights where there's significantly less adds where a blood boil would do way more damage than a heart strike.

Yes

08/02/2012 08:37 AMPosted by Hajï
I still have mixed feelings about it. Although I'll have to wait till I actually get to level 90 and see the fights before. Since i'm thinking of conversion as being a lower Death Pact, will lower CD (although I know it has no CD). Without a doubt conversion will be better in other fights compared to Death Pact. Like in fights where you'll take heavy burst damage every 20 seconds or so. Kinda like on Hagarra, I would love to have conversion for that.

Another example of why i felt the need to go through every talent, since which one you use will depend on the fight and we will probably be switching a lot. This is what blizz was going for with the new trees. I've got Death Pact over corruption in the default raid tanking spec, but that doesn't factor in any mechanics so it is very likely we will see this talent put to use in practice.
Edited by Reniat on 8/2/2012 10:53 AM PDT
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Good thing is that we can change one talent without having to respec or having two of the same spec.

Pretty nifty.

Plague leech will be for single target.
Roiling blood will be for fights where multiple adds are spawned, like on Yorsahj.
Unholy blight will be for aoe fights where there's significantly less adds where a blood boil would do way more damage than a heart strike.

I goofed. swap where I said blood boil for heart strike and vice versa, eitherway you got my point.
90 Tauren Death Knight
08/02/2012 12:07 PMPosted by Hajï
I goofed. swap where I said blood boil for heart strike and vice versa, eitherway you got my point.

I knew what you meant :)
85 Goblin Priest
Sticky please
90 Human Death Knight
Thanks a ton for the guide! Sticky is requested.

Plus, bump.
90 Tauren Death Knight
thanks for the sticky requests/bump guys :)

Even if you don't have a clue about DKs in MoP, feel free to point out any sections that are unclear to you or that you don't understand so I can try to rewrite it in a better layout. I keep going over it for grammar errors ect, but a "this is unclear" would be very helpful in ironing this guide out.
90 Tauren Death Knight
Posted by Hefizar
One question: Does DRW duplicate the execute damage from Soul Reaper? Or is it just the original weapon strike?

I would assume yes, as DRW currently applies diseases so it would make sense it would do the same in this case. I'll see if i can get around to testing it soon to be sure.

I got around to testing this today and can confirm that the execute damage is copied by DRW.
71 Blood Elf Death Knight
Thank you for all the time you spent on this and sticky requested! I plan on tanking again come MoP and I am actually pretty excited about doing it again.

I use to tank ICC on another realm back in WOTLK and it was hands down some of my favorite times in WoW.

Thank you again for doing this =)
90 Tauren Death Knight
08/03/2012 03:48 PMPosted by Kyrhyraeth
I use to tank ICC on another realm back in WOTLK and it was hands down some of my favorite times in WoW.

Well tanking has changed quite a bit since wrath, but I hope you still find as much enjoyment out of it :)

There are still a few problems with DK tanks in mop (downtime, glyph choices, dmg output) but overall we are still going to be solid tanks going into the next tier.
Edited by Reniat on 8/4/2012 9:22 AM PDT
90 Goblin Death Knight
Reniat, is it just me or is threat generation hurting for blood currently. I've been tanking some beta dungeons and beyond 3 targets I find it quite hard to keep threat, especially with destro locks and such letting loose. Could just be me but to be honest, I've never had threat problems before.

Also, nice guide requesting for sticky.
90 Tauren Death Knight
I didn't notice any threat problems last time i did any 5 man testing, though I'll try to go in again to see if anything has changed. My guess is the locks in question are doing heavy AoE as soon as you pull instead of waiting a couple seconds, so you can always ask for a few seconds to get threat.

We do have relatively less aoe threat in the beta than we do now, but as long as you get a good pull you should still be able to hold all adds fine. Try this pull for a standard trash pack (6 or so
adds):

Before the pull use HoW
use Unholy Blight if you are specced into it (it lasts for 10 seconds so you as long as pull within that window it should still hit all targets and apply diseases)
Drop dnd and pull them together with Gorefiend's Grasp (Assuming you took that talent)
use heart strike, tab target then use heart strike again
use DS on the target with the lowest aggro
By now you should have enough rp for DRW (which you should have glyphed since threat is a concern)
right after hitting that use ERW to get your runes back
Outbreak and spread with Pestilence (DRW will copy and you will get increased dmg from HS and BB because there will be double the diseases on the target)
Follow normal AoE playstyle

Even if you don't have 100% of them by the end of this, thats ok. You should have solid threat on most if not all of them, and you can taunt any stragglers. Obviously if there is enough adds consider using Blood Boil instead of Heart strike.
Edited by Reniat on 8/4/2012 10:42 AM PDT
90 Goblin Death Knight
Yeah, I'll test that out. Thanks.
90 Tauren Death Knight
Posted by Hefizar
One question: Does DRW duplicate the execute damage from Soul Reaper? Or is it just the original weapon strike?

I would assume yes, as DRW currently applies diseases so it would make sense it would do the same in this case. I'll see if i can get around to testing it soon to be sure.

I got around to testing this today and can confirm that the execute damage is copied by DRW.

Nice! That will be a good combo, especially for fights like Heroic Zonozz, where he takes more damage in the later phases.

Thanks for testing it!

Also, if you look at the Beta class forums, Blizzard made Bloodworms continue to suck - just thought I would mention it
90 Tauren Death Knight
I didn't notice any threat problems last time i did any 5 man testing, though I'll try to go in again to see if anything has changed. My guess is the locks in question are doing heavy AoE as soon as you pull instead of waiting a couple seconds, so you can always ask for a few seconds to get threat.

We do have relatively less aoe threat in the beta than we do now, but as long as you get a good pull you should still be able to hold all adds fine. Try this pull for a standard trash pack (6 or so
adds):

Before the pull use HoW
use Unholy Blight if you are specced into it (it lasts for 10 seconds so you as long as pull within that window it should still hit all targets and apply diseases)
Drop dnd and pull them together with Gorefiend's Grasp (Assuming you took that talent)
use heart strike, tab target then use heart strike again
use DS on the target with the lowest aggro
By now you should have enough rp for DRW (which you should have glyphed since threat is a concern)
right after hitting that use ERW to get your runes back
Outbreak and spread with Pestilence (DRW will copy and you will get increased dmg from HS and BB because there will be double the diseases on the target)
Follow normal AoE playstyle

Even if you don't have 100% of them by the end of this, thats ok. You should have solid threat on most if not all of them, and you can taunt any stragglers. Obviously if there is enough adds consider using Blood Boil instead of Heart strike.

This seems like a fair amount of CDs for one trash pull. Unfortunately I don't have beta access, so do you think it is possible to keep threat withouth having to use 2 min CD spells? This seems like it would be a problem for challenge modes.

Thanks!
90 Tauren Death Knight
Thats just what i'd recommend you do to get every ounce of threat out on a group of trash in the shortest amount of time. I didn't find any problems with threat chain pulling with DnD and using heart strike/BB just like in Cata.
90 Tauren Death Knight
08/04/2012 03:38 PMPosted by Reniat
Thats just what i'd recommend you do to get every ounce of threat out on a group of trash in the shortest amount of time. I didn't find any problems with threat chain pulling with DnD and using heart strike/BB just like in Cata.

Ok, thanks
90 Tauren Death Knight
Quick update! Blood Tap is off GCD
90 Tauren Death Knight
Taking if back off GCD allows for macroing, but RE will still provide more Death Strikes, and RC will still provide more overall throughput of runes (only slightly though)
90 Tauren Death Knight
08/04/2012 04:21 PMPosted by Reniat
Taking if back off GCD allows for macroing, but RE will still provide more Death Strikes, and RC will still provide more overall throughput of runes (only slightly though)

Very true. Blood Tap does give the least amount of runes, but the ability lets you time when you get them, which I think is more important.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]