Game engine

What game engine does WoW Use?

Im almost certain its created in-house, but its pretty obvious it started out with the WC3 engine, its miles ahead of that now, but WC3 is defiinetly the roots of it all.

Any answers? thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I don't think it started with the WC3 engine at all.
I just don't see it capable of handling all the assets and the size of the fields, etc
Not even Vanila

Aesthetics were made to show similarities with the WC3 engine so that you could feel at home.

But Im pretty sure it was its own thing right from the start
Reply Quote
wheres my sexy dev team to confirm this ><
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I am 100% sure that Blizzards develop their own engine rather than use someone else engine.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I don't think it started with the WC3 engine at all.I just don't see it capable of handling all the assets and the size of the fields, etcNot even VanilaAesthetics were made to show similarities with the WC3 engine so that you could feel at home.But Im pretty sure it was its own thing right from the start

Could've sworn I've read an article, most like on Wikipedia(check the citiations), that stated it was based on it, though with modifications.
Edited by Gabath on 8/21/2012 2:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I think at least the graphics have some basis in the Warcraft 3 engine. Based on the fact that there are imported models like the peasants, I would think they use the same software for character models.
Reply Quote
Wow engine a go!

This article refers to Cataclysm as the wow engine: http://news.mmosite.com/content/2010-01-04/new_graphic_engine_cataclysm_to_be_a_nextgen_mmo,1.shtml

However, the best question is, are the succesive engines as each expansion engine are consolidated, what is the name of the engine that runs wow? Not the expansion.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]