Looking to buy a new processor.

Ok, so at the moment my set up has an AMD FX 4100, 8 gigs of ram and a sapphire radeon hd 6870 and a 700w power supply. On ultra I get around 30-50 frames on average in SW on a packed day. I want to run 60 and was thinking of upgradeing my graphics for MoP but was told that WoW is more processor heavy. I was thinking of getting a new MOBO and CPU . I was thinkinking something intel maybe the ivy bridges. My question is what should I get a new processor or a new graphic card. Oh and either way my budget is 500 dollars
Reply Quote
45 Human Warlock
are you going to overclock?

And yes your processor is bad so you need to replace that. Your graphics card is fine.
Reply Quote
are you going to overclock?

And yes your processor is bad so you need to replace that. Your graphics card is fine.

Im thinking of getting a liquid cooling system with it as long as mobo + CPU + cooling system is around 500. Then I'd feel safe overclocking, but yeah I'm trying to get whatever I can get for that much.
Reply Quote
45 Human Warlock
You can get a decent processor (i5 3500 series) and motherboard (B75 motherboard) for <$300 if you don't overclock. Shop around for deals.

I don't really recommend liquid cooling even for overclocking.
Edited by Boxerone on 8/2/2012 6:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
That sounds great! I'm really trying to run MoP at 60 fps, do you think that that i5 will get it there?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
If you already have AMD FX 4100, while going to Intel i5 would give you some upgrade, I don't know if it's worth spending $300 for a new CPU and motherboard.

TBH, I would recommend that you wait and see how well Piledriver (Vishera) CPUs turn out.
Edited by Kalganized on 8/2/2012 6:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Im planning on buying this around mid october so maybe the Piledriver CPUs will come out by then. Im not sure what to.
Reply Quote
Quick question what if I got AMD FX-8150 FX 8-Core Black Edition would I see any increase in performance?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
If you already have AMD FX 4100, while going to Intel i5 would give you some upgrade, I don't know if it's worth spending $300 for a new CPU and motherboard.

TBH, I would recommend that you wait and see how well Piledriver (Vishera) CPUs turn out.

I was just going to say this. If your system can run an FX-4100, it will be able to run Piledriver without any issues. All of the reviews so far put Piledriver as a HUGE improvement over Bulldozer. (Piledriver architecture is being used in the new Trinity socket FM2 APU's.) I believe the Vishera equivalent of the 4100 will be the 4300. Greatly improved architecture...plus something called resonant clock meshing to drastically reduce power consumption.

I'm currently using an FX-8150, just waiting for the Vishera FX-8350 that is a drop-in replacement.

08/02/2012 06:58 PMPosted by Laxton
Quick question what if I got AMD FX-8150 FX 8-Core Black Edition would I see any increase in performance?

No. The FX-4100 and FX-8150 are EXACTLY the same in clock speed, cache, etc. The only difference is that the 4100 is 2 modules, while the 8150 is 4 modules. Basically, you just get more cores to play with. This will have ZERO impact on game performance for the most part. There are no games that can use 4 cores properly. Most "multi core" games support 2 cores at most. The only difference I could see is if, in addition to games, you were running a bunch of CPU intensive stuff in the background, and trying to FRAPS your gameplay at the same time. The 8150 would have an advantage there. But for just playing a game? No difference whatsoever.

EDIT: I was just thinking about this, and depending on a few things the answer might be "maybe". The Black Edition processors are unlocked, and overclockable. Bulldozer processors in general overclock like beasts (assuming your power supply can handle it). So, if your 4100 isn't overclockable, and you were to overclock the 8150, the answer would be "yes".
Edited by Mogrigg on 8/2/2012 7:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
08/02/2012 06:54 PMPosted by Laxton
Im planning on buying this around mid october so maybe the Piledriver CPUs will come out by then. Im not sure what to.

Then wait till Piledriver CPUs come out, then if they can keep up with the Sandy Bridge CPUs, you can just get a new CPU and BIOS and call it a day.

If it fails, wait few months more, then upgrade to Haswell in 2013. Intel sucks with sockets and what you buy now will NOT be compatible with upcoming Haswell CPUs.
Reply Quote
How about I just overclock my 4100 for now. I know I can just not sure exactly how to go about doing it since this would be my first time. How much should I overclock it and what if I get a liquid cooling system would I be able to overclock it even more? Where can I find a guide to overclock? I think that's all my questions =)
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
08/02/2012 07:12 PMPosted by Laxton
How about I just overclock my 4100 for now. I know I can just not sure exactly how to go about doing it since this would be my first time. How much should I overclock it and what if I get a liquid cooling system would I be able to overclock it even more? Where can I find a guide to overclock? I think that's all my questions =)

You don't need liquid cooling for overclocking. Just grab a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Evo and you should be good.

I'd say, with one of those, you will probably be able to get to around 4.5-4.8 GHz. The record for overclocking Bulldozer is actually 8.49 Ghz...but that is not something you are going to be able to do. They had to cool it with liquid helium at about -270 C.
Edited by Mogrigg on 8/2/2012 7:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
4170 is really all that I'd even look at, unless you want to do some nice overclocking and/or advanced tweaking to make the 8150 worth the extra money. (I mean shutting off every other core-unit to make a "real" quad core CPU that can run faster/cooler than they came stock)

Wait for PD, the current "affordable" FX cpus **00/**20 are not really very good at all... but Vishera FX (Piledriver) is supposed to release with the low-end versions actually having decent clock speeds (as opposed to the first-gen FX, where we had to wait over a year to get the fast ones like 4170)

BTW I o/c on water... and I really wouldn't have it any other way, at least not on a 125w CPU. =P
Edited by Plusfour on 8/2/2012 7:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
[quote="62467129329"]

You don't need liquid cooling for overclocking. Just grab a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Evo and you should be good.

I'd say, with one of those, you will probably be able to get to around 4.5-4.8 GHz. The record for overclocking Bulldozer is actually 8.49 Ghz...but that is not something you are going to be able to do. They had to cool it with liquid helium at about -270 C.

What temp should my cpu be at? So I don't mess anything up and would I see a difference in WoW with 4.5-4.8?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
[quote]

What temp should my cpu be at? So I don't mess anything up and would I see a difference in WoW with 4.5-4.8?

Well my 8150 (which isn't overclocked) idles pretty much at room temperature (can't get below ambient without some sort of active cooling), and runs in games at around 43 C (using a Hyper 212+). I overclocked to 4.2 GHz once and it pretty much didn't change my temperatures noticeably. A lot depends on the temperature of the room you're in though. I start to get nervous if a CPU gets up to around 60 C.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
08/02/2012 07:20 PMPosted by Laxton
Most 125W FX are like 125W Phenom II, meaning that 60°C is the ceiling for being anywhere near safe... but the 4100 is a 95W cpu, and claims to be able to do 70°C before you risk bricking it.

I never get over 45° in games, on a 125W PII - and it's pushed really really hard.
I didn't try to go this fast on my 212+, but I did regularly hit the "max temp" with that thing. (not saying it isn't an awesome air cooler, it just wasn't enough when running @ what computes to nearly 200 watts)

I idle at 30-32°C with an RS-240 rad - Phenom II 965 C3 @ ~1.53v
Edited by Plusfour on 8/2/2012 7:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Well if I have the money is it worth grabbing the liquid cooling? It's about double the price of the one you suggested (around 50 dollars) but I have the money? Also will any of this really impact how WoW plays?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I love the liquid cooling, wish I didn't wait so long... but I suppose I do like overclock to the limit "just because it's there." There just seems to always be that point where a certain +.05v just adds substantially more heat than the previous .05v.

I got the XSPC Rasa 750 kit with the RS240 rad, I think it was around $120, before I added black tubing and stuff :) These are nice kits, but you gotta either know how to set it up or research since there's no instructions. :-O But I had never set up water before and I didn't screw it up. The radiators in the RS-model kits are about 25% thicker than an H100(or a 212+), the RX-line is quite a bit thicker.
I run 100% distilled H20.
Honestly, I was happy before with air... raising the limits just let me have the fun of finding them again. But by the time you see those "diminishing returns" of voltage, you've hit them for performance as well.
Edited by Plusfour on 8/2/2012 10:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
86 Draenei Hunter
no point to water unless you want to push it, unless your goal is to take it to limits of what it can do I'd say air will be fine. Now if you want to take it to the limits by all means go water. As for premade kits ect they are ok, but the best thing you can do is build your own custom loop. Take my loop as an example

1x360mm Rad
1x 240mm Rad
XSPC Raystorm CPU block for my i7 3930k
3x Heatkiller GTX670 Waterblock
XSPC Rampage IV X79 Waterblock kit for chipset
Alphacool dual 5 1/4 resovuior with MCP655 pump

This is along the lines of what you should go for, not part of part but a custom loop is always better
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
eh I got the RASA kit since it was like half the price of buying pieces... The Raystorm kits might not be as good of a deal, since they are twice the price to begin with. (being their newest high-end stuff that replaced RASA) And before Raystorm came out, the RASA kits pretty much included all the pieces you'd pick out anyway. I really like the dual bay res/pump too, so between that and the price, I was just immediately lovestruck. :)

I certainly wanna get the Raystorm block though, it's apparently exceptionally better and really not very expensive by itself.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]