Mac OS X 10.5 Not Supported for Mists of Pandaria

(Locked)

91 Dwarf Paladin
09/02/2012 08:31 AMPosted by Barriss
Yes, although not all Macs that can run 10.6.8 (such as mine) can run 10.8.

You can still purchase 10.7.4 Lion (digital download, maybe, USB key too) from Apple for your Mac Pro. 1-800-MY-APPLE
Edited by Dwarftude on 9/2/2012 9:08 AM PDT
90 Night Elf Hunter
I have not upgraded to Mountain Lion as I have been on Macs since 1985 and rarely have had a smooth OS upgrade. So I never jump on the bandwagon -- I give Apple some time to work out bugs.

Therefore, I am running Snow Leopard. I am loathe to deal w/ the problems I will have w/ many of the apps I use daily for my job. So I have been putting off an upgrade to Mountain Lion.

I am willing to do an upgrade and spend the next several days straightening out all the configuration problems I will doubtless have with conflicts w/ various apps . . . but here is the thing:

I am reading on other threads that folks who do have ML are still having problems both with DLing the patch and then - with logging in or with ingame play issues.

So are we in agreement Snow Leopard 10.6.8 is not supported, period? And are folks really able to play the game if they have Mountain Lion? Cause what I am seeing is - just upgrading to Mountain Lion is NOT solving problems.

I am totally confused at this point.
91 Dwarf Paladin
So are we in agreement Snow Leopard 10.6.8 is not supported, period? And are folks really able to play the game if they have Mountain Lion? Cause what I am seeing is - just upgrading to Mountain Lion is NOT solving problems.

I am totally confused at this point.

Leopard 10.5 is dead in the water. Won't work. Ask anyone here.

Snow Leopard 10.6.8 is in the "soft support" zone. That means, if it works -- it works. No guarantees. May be slow, probably buggy, no guarantees that a patch won't break it. Only guarantee is that you will be dropped in a future expansion.

Lion 10.7.4 is the minimum supported version of OS X for Mists / patch 5.0.4. You can still purchase this -- just not from the Mac App store, call 1-800-MY-APPLE.

As far as making the upgrade -- you can do what you want -- my suggestion -- what i've used ... is Time Machine to back up the whole Mac. Then I wipe the Mac HDD clean. Make a usb install stick and fresh install off of that.

Part of the install (migration assistant) will ask if you have a Time Machine backup. Tell it to migrate all your data off of that on to your new Lion or Mountain Lion install.

If you don't like 10.7 / 10.8 -- Restore your mac to 10.6.8 off of your Time Machine backup.
Edited by Dwarftude on 9/3/2012 11:12 AM PDT
90 Night Elf Hunter
Thank you for that explanation. What I had read in previous weeks had indicated anything above 10.5 was going to be supported.

You are the first person who has actually stated - "soft support" for Snow Leopard. Thank you for giving me the straight info.

Yes, I can do the back up, etc. My issues are going to be w/ various other software that I will be forced to update, at considerable cost as well as time to work out kinks in configs. But that is neither here nor there.

The bottom line is - what it will take for me to play this game. I have wasted all day trying to do workarounds and best I just face it - my OS ain't gonna cut it with this patch.

Thank you for your reply. Truly appreciated.
91 Dwarf Paladin
09/03/2012 11:22 AMPosted by Leyahna
Yes, I can do the back up, etc. My issues are going to be w/ various other software that I will be forced to update, at considerable cost as well as time to work out kinks in configs. But that is neither here nor there.

I see two options, if you are so inclined, dual boot Lion and Snow Leopard. Or, if you don't have the primary HDD space -- believe it or not -- you can install OS X on an external drive. Or at least a firewire external drive (probably works with USB, but I didn't try). I did that between Lion and Snow Leopard.

I booted off of the install DVD for Snow Leopard, chose the option to restore from TM backup, and targeted the blank partition on my Firewire 800 external HDD. My Mac would then boot to Lion and I had the option to boot SL, off the external, if I wanted.

I've tried to virtualize SL in Virtual Box, it should work, it's not like i'm trying to virtualize it on a PC (I have a Mac after all). But alas when I tried to do this just a few weeks ago on Mountain Lion it wasn't working. I must be missing something...

Regardless, maybe the dual boot / external install option will work for you?
Edited by Dwarftude on 9/3/2012 1:44 PM PDT
90 Night Elf Hunter
Brilliant suggestion! Years ago, I did that - back in 2001 or so. Had a zip drive. And yes, it worked for me til I could make a full transition to the new OS (w/ all my software/apps).

Thank you for taking the time to share these ideas with me. Very kind and it is appreciated.

Happy Hunting!
85 Worgen Rogue
Unfortunately I need to use my computer with some business programs that are not compatible with Lion without a lot spent on upgrading. Thus, although Blizzard doesn't care about people playing on Leopard enough to invest in them again, they will be loosing my business. This game isn't worth the energy to jump through any hoops. It's not that good of a game anymore. Goodbye Blizzard.
91 Dwarf Paladin
As long as your Mac is capable of running Lion try out what i suggested to Leyahna abobe. You could install Leopard on an external drive then copy your data for the programs. External drives are fairly cheap.
85 Draenei Paladin
my computer is a Mac OS X Version 10.6.8 (yes, i updated just for wow =P ) and Memory is 1 GB MHz DDR2 SDRAM, will i be able to run MOP? or is that insufficient memory? sorry for newb question. Unfortunately, my older macbook is out of the question, already uninstalled WoW to free up some space, so I'm hoping my desktop will fit the bill.

but the main point here is to be nice to mac users guys! we go for quality hardware, and were playing a quality game like WoW, dont make us spend the money again! "only a rich man can afford to buy cheap" and we definitely did not buy cheap when it came to our computers, because I didn't plan on having to upgrade any time soon.

I'm not !@#$%ing about Blizz, I'm willing to make some changes if i need to, just want to be prepared for the epicness of my soon-to-be Kungfu midget Im going to roll ;)
91 Dwarf Paladin
09/04/2012 09:03 PMPosted by Prøphet
my computer is a Mac OS X Version 10.6.8 (yes, i updated just for wow =P ) and Memory is 1 GB MHz DDR2 SDRAM, will i be able to run MOP?

No :(

You need a minimum of 2GB of RAM for WoW on a mac -- http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/minimum-system-requirements-for-world-of-warcraft

While you are not prevented from running WoW on 10.6.8 -- is not supported (that means if it works, it works, no guarantee). The minimum supported (minimum requirement) version of OS X is 10.7.4, which, also requires a minimum of 2GB of ram to operate. Additionally, check that your video card is supported.

Upgrade to 2GB ram minimum (4 or 8GB, recommended) then please open the Mac App store and see if you computer is capable of upgrading to Mountain Lion.

If your computer isn't compatible with Mountain Lion -- you can still purchase 10.7.4 Lion from Apple @ 1-800-MY-APPLE.
Edited by Dwarftude on 9/4/2012 10:12 PM PDT
92 Draenei Mage
09/04/2012 05:17 PMPosted by Obsenity
Unfortunately I need to use my computer with some business programs that are not compatible with Lion without a lot spent on upgrading.

I'm assuming those programs are Power PC and/or require Rosetta?

Since Apple switched to Intel processors, this is a reality of OS X. Apple releases a new OS version and iPhone every summer like clock work, have for years. Please budget for spending $30 every summer to update your operating system (or fall, because like Leyahna, it is smart to wait a few months after Apple releases so the early adaptors can work the bugs out).
86 Tauren Paladin
Warcraft has been seeing a mass exodus as of late be it as people getting bored of the game, life in the way or financial situation.

a very large portion of their current wow community still uses macs that are below 10.6 a really big size portion of the 10.6 users are just now exiting college or are still in college. If you look into today's market kids fresh from school are trying to make sure they make ends meet. or familys. ect ect

Apple is not a cheap product, if your mac is working just fine why put more money into it just to play a game that is dying anyway. Raid content is getting stale, PvP is unbalanced or your just dinking around in the battle ground with a few friends or w.e there was a mass exodus of players when they started to dummy down DS and with this requirement of a big portion of their mac community it will be just more incentive for a bigger exodus of the game

i do have a pc i did have to raid on instead of my macbook because my macbook could not handle 25m DS. my free game time ends in april so i can still occasionally play here and there like i have been of late. what is a bummer though is i cant play wow in class on my macbook anymore though =( but hey WoW isnt going to be here forever it use to a game done right and that was why this was such a success story of a game, but the end is nigh

ciao
90 Blood Elf Mage
A GM told me it had to be 10.7 or later. This is what is in the system specs for MoP: https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/minimum-system-requirements-for-world-of-warcraft

Many apps I use are not fully compatible with Mountain Lion (10.7). So I can upgrade to 10.7 and play WoW but I'd have to buy many new programs that I use for work/school. This is expensive, and I can't afford to replace many perfectly good apps just so 1 will work, 1 that is not necessary to making a living.

Further, my computer is only 2 years old and is an iMac. I buy macs because they last a long time and you don't need to re-image them or get a new one after 2 years like you do with Microsoft boxes. At the time I bought it, it had the top of the line graphics card. I was told by the same GM that this card wouldn't be so good with MoP. Since the last major patch my fps has dropped from beautiful rates of 70-90 fps to as low as 15 fps. I used to get the silver boxes (G5 / Mac Pro line) in the past but Apple has made the price differential between iMacs and silver boxes so broad that I can't afford a silver box anymore. Plus the Mac Pros are usually way more computer than the average person needs - they are really for serious videographers and people who are using Illustrator and Photoshop constantly. Well with iMacs, you can't change out the graphics card. So I'm screwed. Really hard to raid and pvp with 15 fps.

Not happy with Blizzard about this at all.
90 Draenei Priest
Not to revive an old thread but to reply to the post above.

The culprit here is not Blizzard. The OS of any computer is the foundation that the game developer uses to support their game. The game developer is not in the business of nor do they have the license to fix an OS.

When Apple stops supporting an OS they stop fixing it. As OSes make all those fancy bells and whistles on you computer work, the newest and fanciest bells and whistles won't work or will only work poorly if the OS on your computer is not adjusted to include them. When Apple or MS stops supporting an OS that is what happens. The lastest and greatest bells and whistles won't work on the old OS.

Blizzard for many reasons, a few at least being conflicts with Apple and proprietary rights, isn't in the business of fixing OSes , its in the business of developing games that run on/through the OS. Blizzard can't be happy with Apple adding to the erosion of their client base, but Apple is cranking up the cycle of obsolescence on their hardware platforms (computers) by accelerating the OS cycle of obsolescence.

Snow Leopard (OSX 10.6) will run on any Intel based Mac, that includes computers that are now 6-7 years old. Apple wants those folks buying new computers and Apple is using the OS hardware requirements to push that agenda. Mountain Lion (OSX 10.7) will not install on the oldest Intel Macs and it seems that Snow Leopard will soon be unsupported by Apple. The result of all of this is that Blizzard loses some clients and Apple sells a few more computers.

The culprit is Apple not Blizzard. Complain to the right folks!
90 Draenei Warrior
I am running 10.6.8 on my Mac. I do this because I cannot upgrade with out losing functionality. It's the way that the kernel handles things. This older version allows one to use kernel extensions to do stuff like read and write to NTFS volumes. It's neat. 10.7 cannot do this. (Well, I could recompile the kernel to include such drivers, but that's not going to happen...)

So, I ask, what will happen to my 2 year old laptop running the version of OS X that came with it in the next year or two? We'll just have to wait and see. I understand the idea of trying to keep up with the times - this is a good thing. But, you'll have to weigh that out with your user-base. If a good number of us are running 10.6, you'll be taking a sizeable wedge out of your market.
85 Undead Rogue
I just pre-ordered Mists of Pandaria, and I went to log on and I find out I can't play because my Mac isn't up to date... I didn't know about this until I tried to log in about 20 minutes ago. I have been off wow for a few months, Blizzard should have warned me another way... Now I won't be able to play Mists until Thursday when my CD comes from Apple... Thanks for delaying my playing time Blizzard... *Sigh*
91 Dwarf Paladin
09/23/2012 06:19 AMPosted by Lexinani
I am running 10.6.8 on my Mac. I do this because I cannot upgrade with out losing functionality.

Consider, then, running Lion / MLion on an external disk or vice versa. That would let you maintain your functionality while having an option to use for WoW. Obviously, it's not ideal. But if your looking for an option...
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]