Healer test dummy

90 Draenei Shaman
I know am not supposed to double post, but I think this way I would get more attention from the healer community. Please post on the General Discussion Forum link below.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6246866366

I hope this gets some views,

With Mist of Pandaria release around the corner, one thing that I remember when Cata first hit was the frustration that I felt about my ever changing healing output the first few weeks even months after release.

I don't know if this has ever been mention but I believe a testing dummy for healers is both vital and necessary at this life in the game.

I want to clarify that this doesn't have to be a major complex system but something simple as a repeatable type quest that gives you different variables of incoming damage in a control setting on a test dummy.

I understand that this would not be the end all or bench mark of a healer that is ready for 5man heroics, raiding, or HM raiding. This is not what I am asking or talking about.

I believe this would be vital to both new players, lower levelers, and even pro raiders.

Allowing us to fine tune or even review certain healing spells in a control environment with ever changing gear would be a very good Quality of Life solution.

Any healers constructive input and discussion are highly welcome.

Thank you
Edited by Shocklicious on 8/5/2012 6:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/search?q=healing+dummies&f=post&forum=1033925

It has been brought up many times, but the general consensus is that it's not needed, nor would it be able to mimic real combat situations well enough to make for an accurate representation of your in combat healing.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
My friend, there ARE healer test dummies all over WoW...millions of them. You know them better as DPSers and Tanks.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
One of the biggest issues is that healing isn't a controlled type of thing. Spell selection is based on type and rate of incoming damage, and you will often have to do things such as shield and dispel, which would be doable to model on a dummy, but would be fairly complex, and may not be worth it. Even the DPS dummies aren't perfect as they are. For example, my hunter has a lot of things that are affected by the target's health pool (increased damage below a certain percent of health). I can only see that by attacking a "real" target, as the dummy's health never really drops.

If I just want to see how gear affects my pure numbers, I just cast heals on myself and watch the hits/crits/ticks. I can do the same thing to see the change to my healing created by my mastery (Harmony).

To see how my gear and spell selection handles different types of incoming damage, I challenge a warlock in my guild to a duel, and heal/dispel myself through it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
DPS dummies aren't used to see how much dps you can manage, they're there to practice rotations. With all the buffs, debuffs, and health threshold effects, target dummy dps is the poster child of "these numbers do not reflect reality".

You can get results that are as reliable™ as dps dummy results by spamming healing spells on yourself.
Reply Quote
The one thing I'll add is if you want to test Mana regen and longevity, aggro a very low level mob that can't hurt you, and then run through your "what if I had to go all out healing, how long could I sustain it?" routine.

The aggro will trigger in-combat regen, and help you determine if you have the amount of regen that you feel you need.

<S>
Reply Quote
10 Night Elf Rogue
I speak for the Dummies

I think most experienced healers forget how chaotic and stressful healing a raid is when you first start out. Also, we forget how hard it is to see incoming damage (and debuffs) and get the right spells cast quickly and on the right targets when you don't know how to set up your UI. If there was a safe, low pressure place for a new healer to set up their UI and practice spell selections, I think it would be a huge benefit to them.

I've made the suggestion before but I think 24 dummies with very high health, standing in the fire, randomly proccing debuffs, and constantly taking damage would be great. Anyone who wants to practice would invite them to a raid and would be put into combat as soon as he started to heal. It could even be made fun in a way that if a group of healers were able to get every dummy up to 99%, everyone in the area gets showered in candy, or sparkles, or beer.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
I could spam Greater healing wave and do 30k HPS

I could spam Healing Rain and Chain heal on 50% hp targets for 5 mins and do 60k hps

I could sit around and riptide ppl like mad and do 20k hps

I could sit around and sit around and sit around..healing dummies are NOT needed. If you want to test out your healing, go to 5man heroic or LFR and try to do your most healing w/out dropping mana.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
You guys are sadly narrow minded. DPS could go fight NPCs to test their DPS or queue dungeons to do the same. Tanks can go engage elites or other NPCs to test their tanking abilities/CDs. Healers could go heal random people to test throughput..

That's NOT the frickin' point.

What I want is the ability to test full damage absorption capability of my Spirit Shell + full Divine Aegis. I can't do this in randoms because it's only throughput based on 5 people. Queuing for LFR is silly, too, to just test this out.

Asking for healing dummies that are regularly receive damage is the best way to test this.

Sure... single heal direct heals can be tested anywhere in the world.. but not raid wide heals and throughput.
Edited by Asharian on 9/6/2012 3:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
DPS dummies aren't used to see how much dps you can manage, they're there to practice rotations. With all the buffs, debuffs, and health threshold effects, target dummy dps is the poster child of "these numbers do not reflect reality".

You can get results that are as reliable™ as dps dummy results by spamming healing spells on yourself.

^^ Nerf said it best.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
DPS is not comparable to a healer in terms of measurement and priorities when it comes to dummies verse actual dungeons/raids. It's not about being narrow minded, it's an opinion of it not being needed in game.

Healing is vastly different. It's situational and reactive, a dummy won't help with anything. There are other ways to test healing, by creating the situations yourself or within a raid environment.

It's pointless and would teach a healer nothing, that is the point.
Edited by Veroicone on 9/6/2012 3:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
If you really want to heal dummies, queue for a BG.

But in all seriousness, no on the Healing Dummies. That would be like practicing a "healing rotation", which no healer should have anyway.

Healing is about thinking on your feet. No thought goes into healing with no chance of failure that you might have on a healing dummy.

If that makes sense...

Edit: Actually, in more seriousness, start queuing for BG's. That'll really make you think on your feet.
Edited by Milkmesoftly on 9/6/2012 3:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

I have no clue how'd they create a healing dummy, but I'd be all for it. I mean, how much of my healing is overhealing? On myself, it's 100% if I just sit in Org spamming heals on myself. How can I minimize my overhealing to maximize my effective healing? Can I test out combinations to see if there's a reason, say as Holy, to throw out a Shield if Serenity is on cool down, or will Renew with it's .5 global and small instant heal allow me the time I need for something else?

Also, I want to see how much my damage input goes from using Twist of Fate, then I'd have to figure out how far up to dismount so falling damage gets me under 20%, heal myself, and then unleash on a dummy. It's just a little crazy. But hey, that can make a nice difference in Atonement healing for progression. Power Infusion might be awesome, but every two minutes. Can I get a better result using Twist of Fate when it's likely to have a larger uptime?

08/05/2012 08:05 AMPosted by Jangorakii
My friend, there ARE healer test dummies all over WoW...millions of them. You know them better as DPSers and Tanks.

And well, the last time I let someone drop to 20% there were "KICK THE HEALER" comments from the party. It's not a good idea to pop into an instance and say, "Hi, I'm going to let you get all low on health because I need reliable statistics on healing."

---

I would love a healer dummy, but I guess someone should try to figure out how it would work. I think that's the biggest issue... Blizzard can't program something they can't figure out. For me, I'd just like a couple of friendly dummies with HPs that are set, like 1HP, 25%, 50%, 75% so I can heal them and see the effects of different abilities.
Edited by Feythylan on 9/6/2012 3:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
64 Blood Elf Paladin
I thought that was what battlegrounds were for? lol

I don't get the point I guess? There isn't a healing rotation truly. If I wanted to see what the heal does I can use it on myself.

if I am setting up my addons i start with myself then join a BG to test it out.

If I am really attempting to test stuff out I would still need live people IMO. Get friends to run something with you. If you have no friends join an instance you outgear greatly like running a normal 5 man.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
You guys are sadly narrow minded. DPS could go fight NPCs to test their DPS or queue dungeons to do the same. Tanks can go engage elites or other NPCs to test their tanking abilities/CDs. Healers could go heal random people to test throughput..

That's NOT the frickin' point.

What I want is the ability to test full damage absorption capability of my Spirit Shell + full Divine Aegis. I can't do this in randoms because it's only throughput based on 5 people. Queuing for LFR is silly, too, to just test this out.

Asking for healing dummies that are regularly receive damage is the best way to test this.

Sure... single heal direct heals can be tested anywhere in the world.. but not raid wide heals and throughput.

I guess I don't understand what *the frickin' point* is...the answer to your question (theoretical maximum of SS+DA) has undoubtedly been mathed out already, so what is it you need to test?

Healing dummies aren't needed because they don't actually help you learn anything important as a healer. If a new healer is stepping into a raid...I really hope they know which heals are single target, and which are raid-wide. I would also hope that they at least have some base level of knowledge concerning their synergies, and how to manage their resource(s)...in addition to just healing in general. And staying out of bad. And knowing who the tanks are. And knowing who is soaking damage from a particular mechanic...and so on.

Healing dummies would teach none of the above, and as such, they would be a useless feature. This isn't being narrow-minded, it's just fact.

Learning your relative level of throughput comes with time, experience, and looking at logs. Improving your throughput comes from the above, and perhaps learning from someone who is better. Again, a healing dummy serves none of these functions.

If *the frickin' point* is that you want to see how big your numbers can get in a situation that doesn't matter, well...I guess I don't have anything to say about that.

Riôt
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I have no clue how'd they create a healing dummy, but I'd be all for it. I mean, how much of my healing is overhealing? On myself, it's 100% if I just sit in Org spamming heals on myself. How can I minimize my overhealing to maximize my effective healing? Can I test out combinations to see if there's a reason, say as Holy, to throw out a Shield if Serenity is on cool down, or will Renew with it's .5 global and small instant heal allow me the time I need for something else?

Also, I want to see how much my damage input goes from using Twist of Fate, then I'd have to figure out how far up to dismount so falling damage gets me under 20%, heal myself, and then unleash on a dummy. It's just a little crazy. But hey, that can make a nice difference in Atonement healing for progression. Power Infusion might be awesome, but every two minutes. Can I get a better result using Twist of Fate when it's likely to have a larger uptime?

Duel a warlock.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Did no one notice that this is a necro?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
HC
08/07/2012 03:51 PMPosted by Cromulent
I think most experienced healers forget how chaotic and stressful healing a raid is when you first start out.

Which is why you don't start off by raiding. You start off by doing 5man instances. Low level instances are insanely easy to do, for any person out there. I bet my dog could figure it out. And it steadily becomes more intense. You don't go from step 1 to step 10. That's unrealistic. Healing dummies is not going to teach you anything that being in the actual environment can.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
HC
09/06/2012 03:20 PMPosted by Asharian

What you're asking for is a raid environment simulation. You can "test your full damage absorption capability of your spirit shell + full da" by looking @ how much it absorbs. If you want to figure out how much it does on 5 people, multiply that by 5. If you want to figure out how much you can absorb in the full duration of ur CD of SS then do the math like other theorycrafters out there to figure out the effective amount of absorbs you can add up to over the course of your cd.

Hey, better yet, go do a 5man instance and you can see forreal just how much you can absorb in an actual environment!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]