Need advice please.

70 Troll Hunter
Hi. I recently created a guild with a different character on another server, and I can't understand why I'm having such a hard time getting members.

I post in the forums for my server weekly with a well thought out article of exactly what were expecting from our raiders. It's nothing stringent either: 2 nights a week and no drama.

I have vent and a guild website.

I post in trade a summation of our needs and values, not too often but a few times a night.

We have as a guild downed all the dragon soul bosses and just reached level 3, but it's hit or miss if we'll have enough people on (I haven't had a week where I didn't need to pug.)

So I guess my question is: why am I having such a hard time getting people into a fun and successful guild? Or maybe: What am I doing wrong or what can I do to get some more players?

Any input is valuable and thanks in advance.

-Jack
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
What other things is your guild doing to get it's name out there besides DS?

I would suggest forming some achievements runs or transmog runs through the week and do it in mumble or vent. A voice chat server helps you form bonds with players on your realm. If you have fun successful runs people want to do more with you. These bonds will help grow your progression raids with new members.

I would also form some PVP runs too. Attack the SW auction house or schedule some Halaa PVP battles too and host them in your voice server again. Post the Halaa battles up to 2 weeks in advance to make sure you have a good turn out on each side. I do this on my realm and have an Alliance toon I use to stir the pot on their side as well. I have macro's for the events I post a couple times a night and then on the day leading up I hop back and forth to keep the build up going.

We get any where from 40 plus to over 100 plus from each side that show for these events and have huge battles that last sometimes up to 2 hours. This last week I had a little bit of an issue getting the Alliance to show so I gathered 25 people and we dove in on the SW auction house and held it for 15 min. We got the hornets nest stirred then I logged over to my Alliance toon and told them " If you had showed up to Halaa we wouldn't have had to come to your AH". Promptly over 40 Alliance shot out to Halaa for the battle and we duked it out for over an hour.

You want people to form bonds with you and when they see your guild name to associate it with a great time in game. Doing things like these get people excited to see your guild name in /chat channels.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Sym
Edited by Symantha on 8/3/2012 9:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
70 Troll Hunter
Thanks for the input sym! Those are some great ideas and I'm definitely going to give them a go.

Much appreciated! :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Anytime and good luck. If you can do us a favor after trying these or other things come back to give us an update on what worked and what doesn't.

Sym
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Don't forget too, it's an expansion lull. Things will pick up now that we have a release date and as people return from summer activities. Symantha's ideas will certainly help, and keep doing what you're doing as well. I'm sure things will pick up in Mists, especially as people see the guild levels and achievements consistently rising as a sign of an active guild. :)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
We have as a guild downed all the dragon soul bosses and just reached level 3, but it's hit or miss if we'll have enough people on (I haven't had a week where I didn't need to pug.)

So I guess my question is: why am I having such a hard time getting people into a fun and successful guild? Or maybe: What am I doing wrong or what can I do to get some more players?

This is a good time solidify your core, make sure DS runs go smoothly, and see how you fare on heroic modes before clearing. The people that took time off until the expac are not all back yet (perhaps they will when 5.x hits). If you are raiding consistently and effectively, you'll have a good chance of picking up solid new members through your pugging.

Also, as GM make sure you are leading by example. Don't log out without your gear fully gemmed and enchanted, and set the same standards for you raiders. It sets the tone for your guild, and without a toon with a long track record of raiding (that is to say, dozens and dozens of boss kills over multiple tiers) you are at a distinct disadvantage against other guilds, so you need to put your best foot forward.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warlock
You definitely need to clean up your main's armory if you hope to get serious players. You have five unenchanted items and two ungemmed items. You are also neither hit nor expertise capped. No one will follow a leader who doesn't appear to know what they're doing unless they are equally clueless.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]