Comprehensive Gaming PC Guide Discussion - IV

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Yep. Just copy it somewhere on the drive, just avoid Windows-created folders.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Small update:

GTX 660 Ti is no longer recommended.

Celerons have not yet shown the price cut they are supposed to have, but they should arrive soon...

AMD wants to keep pressuring nVidia - there will be yet ANOTHER round of price cuts to Radeon cards. I will list them soon.
Edited by Kalganized on 9/12/2012 12:33 PM PDT
90 Worgen Hunter
Hi kalg, love the thread thank you for doing this for everyone. My current Laptop is 5 yrears old, has integrated graphics and is dying. I am thinking of getting a new laptop and am looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230404.

I want to keep this laptop for at least 4 years. I play wow, civ5, sim/strategy games and would like to play DayZ when it comes out as a stand alone game.

My laptop concerns are heat and reliability as i use my laptop for Everything and its constantly being used, sun up to sun down, 1200$ is REALLy as high as Id like to go.

Thanks for any responses.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
A decent laptop but for not much more, you can get a laptop with GTX 675M instead, which is noticeably more powerful than GTX 660M.

Check out laptop custom builders.
27 Orc Rogue
Hey Kalganized

In your recent post you said we should wait if we are buying Radeon cause there will be price cuts.

I am buying parts of this build for wow only

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hjt7

Already bought the mother board and I know it is z77 but i found out about overclocking after i bought it so i am not gonna return it just cause i will not overclock. I also bought the case..next on my list is the CPU, PSU, Ram and then GPU, since the GPU is radeon should I wait, you can see on pcpartpicker link it is not a high end card...so i don't' know if i should wait.

Another question, is there anyway you could find me a cheaper PSU that is good quality and can support the build above? I already don't feel like paying 120 for a PSU ^_^
Edited by Poisonblàde on 9/12/2012 10:36 PM PDT
90 Worgen Hunter
This is going to sound really stupid so i apologize ahead of time, but custom laptop builders..you mean xotic or ibuypower or the like? and have them build one to my specs? Or can you give me an idea of a good site your talking about? thanks you.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Jubbal:

Yes, that is what I'm talking about, XoticPC, iBuyPower, etc.

They have models which will fit one of my requirements. For example:

http://www.xoticpc.com/forcemsi-1762-62032-675m-p-4336.html?wconfigure=yes
http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Valkyrie_CZ-17_Gaming_Laptop

I notice they are bit beyond $1200, but performance difference is pretty huge between GTX 660M and GTX 675M, despite "small model name difference".

Poisonblade:

The HD 7770 will not receive a price cut more or less. I would not worry about it too much.

There are 500W 80 Plus Bronze certified power supplies that are half the price.
90 Worgen Hunter
Thanks, Im looking at some sites trying to find a 15.6 thinking maybe they will be a bit cheaper than those 17 so that I could look at getting the 675m. im seeing some on newegg with 670m. I guess I really took to the asus g55/75 units because i read that they were top notch laptops dealing with heat. Have you in your experience found the MSI laptops to be reliable and not run to hot?

thanks for taking the time to amswer my "noob" questions.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I have one right now. GPU runs pretty cool despite being heavily overclocked.
90 Human Priest
Small update:

GTX 660 Ti is no longer recommended.

Celerons have not yet shown the price cut they are supposed to have, but they should arrive soon...

AMD wants to keep pressuring nVidia - there will be yet ANOTHER round of price cuts to Radeon cards. I will list them soon.

Do you know if there is a timeframe for the price cuts? I will be looking to purchase a system within the next week or two, that may have me put it off for a bit longer if the cuts will happen soon.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
For Intel CPUs, it's unknown. Intel already announced it two weeks ago, but retailers are not reflecting the price yet.

For AMD Radeon cards, it should be in within a week or two. It's a fairly minor price cut, and not all cards are affected.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Update:

GTX 650 and GTX 660 is out. GTX 660 will be recommended alongside HD 7870 (they are very close), but GTX 650 fails as I have expected it to be.

However, HD 7870 is still a better deal if you are willing to futz with overclocking, as GTX 660 is very limited in how far they can OC.
Edited by Kalganized on 9/13/2012 12:06 PM PDT
10 Tauren Warrior
I did not know about this thread series. I'll be looking in from time to time.
85 Undead Death Knight
Do you happen to know if there's any difference between the Radeon 7950 IceQ and the IceQ Boost?

I also played around with Blender very briefly last nice. Either my CPU or my GPU didn't really like me after 3-4 subdivisions.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
The "Boost Edition" simply has the latest BIOS (like 7970 GHz Edition) that dynamically manage GPU clocks depending on load. The quality of GPU itself is not affected, so it ultimately does not change maximum clock you could get from a 7950.
85 Undead Death Knight
Alright. I just turned 18 so hopefully I'll be upgrading to a Radeon 7950 and i5-3570k relatively soon.
90 Worgen Hunter
Hi Kal, was wondering what you thought of this laptop..

MSI G Series GE70 0ND-033US
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152348

the price seems great for a 17". I know its got only a 660m in it but wow other than that what am I missing here. Im worrying about heat buildup but earlier you said your MSI did well with heat and that was my main selling point on the Asus g55. If the MSI will do the about as well as the asus and its cheaper and a larger screen then ... WOOT

Thanks for responding I appreciate what your doing for all of us with this thread.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Laptop looks great, not too bad for the price too.
90 Worgen Hunter
Thanks, I think I was just getting fixated on the asus. I appreciate you letting me bounce my ideas at ya. Im going to seriously consider this laptop.
87 Night Elf Death Knight
For Intel CPUs, it's unknown. Intel already announced it two weeks ago, but retailers are not reflecting the price yet.

For AMD Radeon cards, it should be in within a week or two. It's a fairly minor price cut, and not all cards are affected.

i'm glad you posted this. i was going to order an MSI twin frozr 7850 tomorrow. if i might get a better deal in a week or two, i'll hold off...
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]