Comprehensive Gaming PC Guide Discussion - IV

100 Blood Elf Paladin
Glad you like it. It's amazing, yes? :D
90 Draenei Death Knight
Hey. I'm part of the TL;DR crowd(Those eyes! D:) I was looking through the builds, and I'm thinking of buying the second build. I'm pretty clueless to computers. Although, I figured I'd build one to save cash. I've been using the same PC since 2005.

Noob question, should I just buy everything you've listed? Also, can I use the same monitor/keyboard/mouse I have been using? I'm really bad at all this hehe. Figured I'll use tutorials online to help actually build it. Only really need to be pointed in the direction of parts to purchase.

I'm not expecting the most amazing performance. Heck, using this 2005 computer has lowered the bar severely xD
100 Blood Elf Paladin
You can re-use the monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers you've been using, but if monitor is ancient and does not support DVI at least, you may need a converter plug (such as DVI -> VGA).

You also need to add in a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM if you do not have that copy.
90 Draenei Death Knight
How do I know if it supports it? And can I pick that up at best buy or someplace
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Look at the back of the monitor for the ports.

Pair it up with the picture here:

http://assets.overclock.net.s3.amazonaws.com/6/6e/6e3e3ebe_vbattach231827.jpeg
90 Blood Elf Priest
My Asus gaming laptop gets way to hot to play WoW, and I would like to get a desktop instead. I have a friend that bought a Microtel gaming desktop on amazon and I found one similar. I just wondering if this has all the recommended parts to play MoP on the highest settings. Thanks in advance for any advice :)

http://www.amazon.com/Microtel-Computer%C2%AE-Computer-Processor-Microsoft/dp/B004H2Y012/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1348694006&sr=1-2&keywords=microtel+radeon
Edited by Orishá on 9/26/2012 2:18 PM PDT
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Yes that desktop can run it but the problem is, that is overly expensive even for a prebuilt. You can try cyberpowerpc/ibuypower/xoticpc if you need one prebuilt.

check out the rest of the guide if you need help selecting parts.
90 Blood Elf Priest
Yes that desktop can run it but the problem is, that is overly expensive even for a prebuilt. You can try cyberpowerpc/ibuypower/xoticpc if you need one prebuilt.

check out the rest of the guide if you need help selecting parts.

I have no clue on how to do a prebuilt. All this computer talk is like a foreign language to me. I have no idea what parts I would need and how to put things together. I have read thru this forum and I am even more confused. I really want to order something tonight, and don't even know where to begin. I just want something will run MoP on the highest settings and won't get so hot that my fps go down to 5. Can anyone put together a build that has top quality parts?
85 Blood Elf Paladin
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1EGWCQ

GPU is definitely overkill but if you're going to spend 1500 area why not

Parts you can change
GPU ~ if you feel that it is not worth the money because you won't be playing at extreme resolution or Blizzard games are the only game you play
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AMD 7850 or 7870
Nvidia gtx 560 1gb / gtx 660 2tb / gtx 660ti 2tb
AMD offers better price for performance but if WoW is the only game played Nvidia performs slightly better
*like 5% which isn't exactly much especially since all these cards can push out max*

CPU ~ if you have a friend that knows how to overlock recommendation i5 3570k
Case ~ recommendation ??? whatever floats your boat
---Please note that the current case selected does not offer the colored fans so if you're a sucker for shiny things like me, please be sure to do the live chat if possible~ I sound like I am advertising now @.@--

Blu-ray ~ if you need one since the other one had it included
Monitors/Mouse/Keyboards ~ your choice recommendation ??? buy it else where cyberpower/ibuypower rips you most of the time
Edited by Jeyded on 9/26/2012 4:46 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Priest
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1EGWCQ

GPU is definitely overkill but if you're going to spend 1500 area why not

Parts you can change
GPU ~ if you feel that it is not worth the money because you won't be playing at extreme resolution or Blizzard games are the only game you play
AMD 7850 or 7870
Nvidia gtx 560 1gb / gtx 660 2tb / gtx 660ti 2tb
AMD offers better price for performance but if WoW is the only game played Nvidia performs slightly better
*like 5% which isn't exactly much especially since all these cards can push out max*

CPU ~ if you have a friend that knows how to overlock recommendation i5 3570k
Case ~ recommendation ??? whatever floats your boat
---Please note that the current case selected does not offer the colored fans so if you're a sucker for shiny things like me, please be sure to do the live chat if possible~ I sound like I am advertising now @.@--

Blu-ray ~ if you need one since the other one had it included
Monitors/Mouse/Keyboards ~ your choice recommendation ??? buy it else where cyberpower/ibuypower rips you most of the time

Thank you! Thank you!
Edited by Orishá on 9/26/2012 6:40 PM PDT
MVP - Technical Support
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Looking for some extra input here. My Radeon 5970's internal Crossfire connector went kaput and I'm fortunate to have had a Radeon HD 5870 to continue to use. However, my performance is about a third of what I'm used to having. This does not make me happy. :(

The 5970 is still great for Bitcoin mining, but gaming is out of the question. I'm talking <10 FPS in WoW with tons of flickering because of the dead connector.

I would love to upgrade, but I'm not sure if now is the time to step forward and do that. I've heard rumors that the Radeon HD 8000 series would be releasing either late 2012 or early 2013, with 2013 seeming the most likely. The HD 8970 seems like a fine piece of equipment, but it's still a bit out of reach.

With the recent-ish price cuts to the Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition, would I be better off just splurging on that? Or do you figure that it would be worth the wait until Venus XTX rolls out?

I don't plan on immediately investing in a Crossfire configuration again. I've grown too attached to windowed mode!! It would be nice to have the ability to again upgrade to a Tri-Fire setup down the road, but that's far from a priority right now. It is worth taking into consideration, though, since the HD 7990 lineup doesn't seem like it's ever going to solidify.

So...thoughts? I'm basically looking at going HD 7970 GHz now or HD 8970 later. Either way, this HD 5870 alone isn't providing the horsepower I've become accustomed to. It needs to be replaced. And hey, it could go into my media center PC after it's switched out!
Edited by Kodiack on 9/27/2012 12:48 AM PDT
85 Night Elf Warrior
There was a link on [H] for a 311.99$ reference Diamond brand 7970 (not the Ghz edition but that doesn't really matter since its just a factory OC). Seems the deal expires on 10/1.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1719397
MVP - Technical Support
90 Blood Elf Hunter
There was a link on [H] for a 311.99$ reference Diamond brand 7970 (not the Ghz edition but that doesn't really matter since its just a factory OC). Seems the deal expires on 10/1.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1719397

Yowza! A sale, a rebate, and a 20% discount?! A five year warranty isn't too shabby either. Huge improvement from the two years on the Sapphire cards I have. I may look a bit further into that deal.

Speaking of which, Sapphire's warranties made me extremely sad. They were very unhelpful when my 5970 failed. :(
Edited by Kodiack on 9/27/2012 1:39 AM PDT
MVP - Technical Support
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Vaerwind, thank you very much for that link. I did some research, and that price/performance ratio simply cannot be beaten. One Radeon HD 7970 outmaneuvers an HD 5970, and that's before you even throw overclocking, VRAM limitations, or Crossfire quirks into the mix! Extremely impressive!!

I've ordered one of those 7970 cards. Can't wait to get it and push it around a bit. :D
90 Tauren Druid
So kalganized, I have my computer and its all set up and working great now, only problem i have is that my resolution is set up but its not full screen. I had this problem with my old card 2, but i found a way to like stretch the screen but i cant seem out how i did it again. any ideas?
90 Blood Elf Priest
CAS: Raidmax Viper Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ 1x USB 3.0 Port & Side Window Panel (Black Color)
CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
COOLANT: Standard Coolant
CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i7-3770K 3.50 GHz 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)
FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
FREEBIE_MB: GIGABYTE GC-WB300D Exclusive Bluetooth 4.0/WiFi PCIe Expansion Card
HDD: 240GB Corsair Force GT Series SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 555MB/s Read & 525MB/s Write (Single Drive)
HDD2: 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive)
IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
KEYBOARD: AZZA Multimedia USB Gaming Keyboard
MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance)
MOTHERBOARD: * [CrossFireX] GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ IRST, Lucid Virtu MVP, Ultra Durable4 Classic, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 2x Gen3 PCIe x16, 3x PCIe x1 & 2 PCI (Extreme OC Certified)
MOUSE: AZZA Optical 1600dpi Gaming Mouse with Weight Adjustable Cartridge
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
OS: Microsoft(R) Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)
POWERSUPPLY: * 750 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (HIS IceQ Edition Powered by AMD)

This is what I ordered. I hope it has everything I need. Can't wait until I get it! Thank you for your help!
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Heelerowl:

If you are using HDMI or something, you must go to either Catalyst Control Center or nVidia Control Panel (depending on which product you have), and allow either GPU to scale, or set scaling yourself. Mess with it and you will get one that will work properly.

Farker:

Yes, you can put in the motherboard just fine. That USB 3.0 internal header will just be left unused.

Orisha:

D:
Somewhat not optimal, but I hope you got it knowing what these parts mean for you.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
You'll love this system. Let us know how well it runs :D
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]