Comprehensive Gaming PC Guide Discussion - IV

85 Human Paladin
I'm going to try benchmarking mine to see what it scores on synthetic stuff as well as WoW and such.

It should force the 7950 into the $300 range soon enough.
Edited by Lawlbringer on 8/11/2012 3:07 PM PDT
85 Undead Death Knight
I'm still kinda debating on what card I'm going to upgrade to, and if I really want to wait for the Radeon 8000 cards to start coming out.

I'm definitely going to nab an i5-3570k in the next few weeks, and most likely an SSD plus bigger hard drive ( I still have 43 GB left on my 320 gb one >.>).

Those upgrades will probably cost about $450, less depending on how the i3-2120 goes for on E-Bay.

How much do you think a Radeon 6950 would go for on E-Bay? Depending on how much I think my card choices might differ
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Probably about $150~180 max.
Edited by Kalganized on 8/11/2012 3:17 PM PDT
85 Undead Death Knight
Yea. I'm looking at that side but it seems like they're using some older games that I really don't know how graphically intensive they are. But hopefully we'll see more benchmarks soon.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Sure, go for it
90 Blood Elf Paladin
IT staff for a small business. Nothing much :(
90 Worgen Death Knight
Hey Kalg. I'm using your list to make a new computer all together because i'm using this crapheap laptop. Would this run well? and how high would the FPS hit for it?

• CPU: i5-2500k
• CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212+
• Motherboard: MSI Z77MA-G45 Micro ATX Motherboard
• RAM: DDR3-1600 to accompany to the Z77 Motherboard (Must be 2 x 4GB RAM)
• Graphics Card: Radeon HD 7970 (Power Supply to run is 550W)
• Power Supply: PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 600W
• Hard Drive: Simple 1TB
• Case: CoolerMaster HAF 912
• Keyboard: SteelSeries Shift, ZBoard, or Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
• Monitor: Acer S211HL
• Speakers: GX Gaming SW-G2.1 3000 4-Piece Gaming Speakers
90 Blood Elf Paladin
This is an overkill setup (it would run any game out there very well with max settings), and I noticed lack of an SSD. You should either spend more to add an SSD, or get a weaker graphics card and add in an SSD.

Are you going to overclock that CPU?
90 Blood Elf Paladin
quick question kalg whats the diff between i5-2500($208) and i5-3450($198) and if i dont plan on oc it which one should i get ?
90 Blood Elf Paladin
i5-2500 is roughly equal to i5-3450 (although i5-2500 has 200 MHz advantage in turbo clock, i5-3450 has 3%~10% performance improvement clock-by-clock vs. Sandy Bridge).

In other words, toss-up. It's your choice.
90 Orc Shaman
Kalg, had a quick question about a graphics card upgrade. I'm currently running a 560 ti and was wondering whether getting a second for SLI would be worth it or just spend the extra $ on a single card upgrade? I've never run an SLI setup before and was wondering what your thoughts were.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
If possible, it's -always- better to have a single powerful GPU over SLi/XFire setup, but if you won't have the money needed to buy a single powerful GPU matching SLi setup for a long time, then SLi would be a good alternative.
90 Worgen Death Knight
What SSD do you recommend for my build?
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Any well-known performance SSDs will work for you, although people like Samsung 830 and Intel 520 for performance, or Crucial m4 for reliability / price

Note that some of them may not come with a SATA cable, important because most mobos only come with 2, which is taken up by HDD and DVD drive
90 Worgen Death Knight
Any well-known performance SSDs will work for you, although people like Samsung 830 and Intel 520 for performance, or Crucial m4 for reliability / price

Note that some of them may not come with a SATA cable, important because most mobos only come with 2, which is taken up by HDD and DVD drive

Awesome, thanks. Also, how much will the build altogether now cost?
90 Blood Elf Paladin
$1500ish
90 Worgen Druid
I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correctly, but is recommended to get both a solid state drive and say, a 1 Tb hard drive? Is that so you have the 1 Tb for storage purposes? Is it possible to run games off an external hard drive?
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]