Comprehensive Gaming PC Guide Discussion - IV

90 Blood Elf Priest

Orisha:

D:
Somewhat not optimal, but I hope you got it knowing what these parts mean for you.

Not optimal in what way :( I think I can still make changes.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
1. i7-3770k. These have virtually zero advantage vs. i5 in gaming. You should only be getting this if you are using a lot of multi-threaded applications.

2. Liquid cooling + Z77 motherboard. If you were never going to overclock your CPU, these are not necessary at all. You would have saved massive $ without losing any gaming performance at all with lowest i5 model (i5-3330 / i5-3450) with B75 motherboard, with stock Intel heatsink.

3. I would have recommended Samsung 830 / 840 Pro SSD instead of Force GT, but not a huge loss.

4. 750W is severe overkill for a single GPU setup. A HD 7950 can easily be powered by 550W 80 Plus certified power supply.
Edited by Kalganized on 9/28/2012 9:58 AM PDT
90 Blood Elf Priest
1. i7-3770k. These have virtually zero advantage vs. i5 in gaming. You should only be getting this if you are using a lot of multi-threaded applications.

2. Liquid cooling + Z77 motherboard. If you were never going to overclock your CPU, these are not necessary at all. You would have saved massive $ without losing any gaming performance at all with lowest i5 model (i5-3330 / i5-3450) with B75 motherboard, with stock Intel heatsink.

3. I would have recommended Samsung 830 / 840 Pro SSD instead of Force GT, but not a huge loss.

4. 750W is severe overkill for a single GPU setup. A HD 7950 can easily be powered by 550W 80 Plus certified power supply.

Thank you!
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Kal I need a little input on a extremely tight budget build

My friend wants to build a comp that can handle Source engine games i.e. Left 4 dead 2 and what not

I cannot for the life of me keep it under 350 and his max budget is 300 before tax.

Current List is
AMD FX 4100 + motherboard for 100
Radeon 7750 ~90
2x 2 DDR3 1333Mhz ~18
cd/dvd drive ~20
so far ~ 230

Still short a Hard drive, Case, and Power Supply

at this point I don't know what to change to fit the budget.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Source engine games require very little GPU power. To that end, I recommend waiting for AMD A-Series -- Trinity. Depending on the price, you can probably fit in a decent setup within that price.
Kalganized, you probably hate me by now haha

But just want to say thank you soooooo much for all the help you provided. I now have a super awesome computer that can run wow at 60+fps on ultra setting.

I built it completely with your help and it was my first time building.

It is really quiet... runs smooth and looks great. Keep up being awesome!

Edit: OMG, I just checked my fps, it is running at 200-240, this is insane, thought I would never see such a thing. Obviously I am in the orc starting area and orgrimmar will change that but still that is just pure sick..i feel great lol
Edited by Mortch on 9/28/2012 5:04 PM PDT
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Glad it's working great for you. :D
1 Draenei Shaman
Hey Kalganized,

If you could buy a system today, as in this very second, what would you pick? I know it is based on people's preferences, but if money is not an issue, what would you pick? Your "Yay Overkill" build is excellent and gives you leeway to choose, but I am one of those people that would want someone to say "GET THIS!". The one you gave an example of was budgeting around $1150. I think people would gladly spend ~$1500 for some specifics that give that ear to ear grin on the face. At least I would. I have alotted 2k for mine. I just don't want to short change myself and not be happy with it when I could have gotten a lot more. Hopefully this makes sense. I also welcome anyone else to say what they would get if money wasn't an issue.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
If money wasn't an issue?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/iSgg

+

3 Yamakasi Catleap monitors (~$1000 total)

=

Total ~$3600

+

=

Total ~$3600

If money was not an issue, I would go with an LGA 2011 setup and tri sli gtx 680s.
1 Draenei Shaman
@Kalaganized
Wow...I just saw that build and definitely got a ear to ear grin!!
@Zachoff
Tri gtx680s. That would be sick indeed!!
100 Blood Elf Paladin

+

=

Total ~$3600

If money was not an issue, I would go with an LGA 2011 setup and tri sli gtx 680s.

Well, I did so that would actually grant visible gaming performance advantage. LGA 2011 in gaming is worse than Ivy Bridge, so...

You can also consider dual GTX 690s (quad 680s) with more expensive Z77 motherboards, although diminishing returns hit really fast with tri / quad setups.

Well, I did so that would actually grant visible gaming performance advantage. LGA 2011 in gaming is worse than Ivy Bridge, so...

You can also consider dual GTX 690s (quad 680s) with more expensive Z77 motherboards, although diminishing returns hit really fast with tri / quad setups.

Wouldn't a z77 motherboard bottleneck the bandwidth with tri or quad sli though?
100 Blood Elf Paladin
These boards have separate 3rd party controllers to deal with the additional bandwidth needed for that.

Edit: Off-topic but:

Motherboard section has been updated a bit.

GTX 650 Ti will come next week, with MSRP of $150...
It's going to compete against HD 6870 / GTX 560. Future looks grim for this card.

GTX 660 no longer recommended due to the price cuts on HD 7870.
Edited by Kalganized on 9/29/2012 1:17 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Well, here's hoping I just had bad luck with my 7870 and I can get a replacement that doesn't randomly black screen me.
Kalganized,

I recently put a PC together after returning an computer from best buy because of your thread, Ty for the added motivation. In addition I am happy to say that everything is up and running dling wow atm.

However... my windows seems sluggish as i am browsing and downloading, etc... I am hoping my graphics card drivers are up to date ( they should be as i have downloaded them a number of times already lol.) AM i under the impression that windows will take care of all of my updates single handedly with the exception of AMD catalyst control center.

MY specs just for kicks.

ProcessorL: i5-3570k

Board: Asus p8-z77 V LX

HDD: Hitachi OF13180 - the guys at microcenter sold me this instead of a 1TB seagate due to the the drop of to a 1yr warranty on the seagate. http://www.y-intl.com/Item.cfm?ID=2703 marked down to 65.99?

Graphics card; Diamond Radeon HD 7870

Power supply: Silencer Mk II 750 supply (might be headed back D:)

SSD: No SSD yet...

Optical drive: LG modisc super multi

RAM: 4gb ddr3 baillistix or something 1.5v

Case: Cooler masters High Air Flow 912

Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit.
Edited by Gomax on 9/30/2012 4:12 AM PDT
Hello Kalganized, i have a new build with which windows is a little sluggish. Any thoughts?

Processor: i5-3570k

board: Asus p8-z77 v lx

SSD: No SSD yet...

HDD: Steal from micro center. took this over a seagate 1TB. Hitachi OF13180 7200rpm 32 cache however this has a 3 year warrranty whereas seagate offers up 1.

Graphics: Diamond Radeon HD 7870

Operating System: Windows 7 64 bit

RAM: 4gb DDR3 RAM v1.5

Power supply: Silencer MK II 750w.

Optical drive: LG mo-disc.

ahem 2 high performance corsair fans attached to my Haf 912.

If this is a driver issue than i will adress it , ahem my question is what driver i would have to install. Any advice would be appreciated, in addition i assumed that windows was doing most of my driver updates. do programs like java, or adobe reader slow me down? This sluggishness was apparent immediatly upon installation of windows.

Ty.
Edited by Gomax on 9/30/2012 4:13 AM PDT
I also have my Optical hooked to a sata 3 port i do not know if thay is any issue...lol. One last thing is my monitor is hooked into my 7870 via adaptor because my Asus P8-z77 v LX is not detecting my monitor through its vga port.

Ty. update; A screen is popping after windows initialization and log in, you can see it for a maybe a split second but it looks like a window for which you would type in BIOS,

Many downloads stall right through the middle of dl.\

Some programs like windows security essentials arent removable because in the uninstalization windows is claiming it to still be downloading.

There is a tv in my room capable of producing a lot of static although when working on my pc i never saw anything happen, snails pace at times..... D:
Edited by Gomax on 9/30/2012 4:04 AM PDT
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Seems like ethernet port issue, cable problem, or your internet access problem.

How are you connecting to the internet on this PC?
Hey, Kalganized.

This PC is connecting to the internet via an Asus wireless adapter. Using IE 9 aswell. Is it a net framework issue?

Additionaly the wireless internet cuts out frequently when my PC downstairs is turned off. Otherwise the readout says i am working with 144mbps D: ...

again there is like two flights of stairs and some thick walls between th PC and te modem.

Ahem the modem lights up the three squares when the PC downstairs is on..lol

The internet problem is an issue although could you point out why maybe my processor sweats and is sometimes al areound slow.
Edited by Gomax on 9/30/2012 12:56 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]