Comprehensive Gaming PC Guide Discussion - IV

90 Human Paladin
Hello again, been a couple weeks.

Saw my wish list on my newegg account drop by $100 after I saw an e-mail about a sale they are having, so I am finally ready to buy. I just want one more look over to make sure everything is compatible. I upgraded the CPU, it was only $15 to go from 3470 to 3570. I also added a standard HDD, El-cheapo as backup. Though my motherboard only has 1 6GB SATA slot. But I'll use that for my SSD.

Please let me know if everything will plug in right.

Thanks!

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=15718274&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=793182&SID=
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I don't think that WD drive is worth it. For 90$, you can get a 1TB.
I assume you really want to fill out all the fan slots on HAF 912. Strictly optional though

Otherwise, it'll work out just great.
90 Human Paladin
I don't think that WD drive is worth it. For 90$, you can get a 1TB.
I assume you really want to fill out all the fan slots on HAF 912. Strictly optional though

Otherwise, it'll work out just great.

Sweet, think it will play MoP on Ultra? Or at least mostly Ultra at 60 FPS?

What HDD do you recommend? I don't need anything huge. Even 300 GB is big for me. I just have the OS and a couple games. I just want something to put frequently changed data on because I heard SSDs degrade over time.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Ultra (shadows @ high), great FPS indeed

SSDs don't really degrade over time (at least, modern ones do not). By the time its life is up, you'd long have replaced the SSD.

Basically, SSDs have finite write life, so it's like sudden end rather than gradual worsening performance. The write life of a modern SSDs should be well into 5+ years.
Edited by Kalganized on 8/24/2012 6:11 PM PDT
90 Human Paladin
Ultra (shadows @ high), great FPS indeed

SSDs don't really degrade over time (at least, modern ones do not). By the time its life is up, you'd long have replaced the SSD.

Basically, SSDs have finite write life, so it's like sudden end rather than gradual worsening performance. The write life of a modern SSDs should be well into 5+ years.

Oh wow, well then I probably will forgo the HDD all together then if it is that good. If i need one later I can always just plug on in.

Good to know, thanks. And that video card you recommended to me a few weeks back is down to $260 on sale. Nice!
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Yeah, AMD recently price cut their 7800 series / 7950. That's why you're seeing it. :)
77 Night Elf Death Knight
08/15/2012 11:44 AMPosted by Kalganized
Try using pcpartpicker to find best deals on parts you buy.

Hey Kalg! Its Hirudegarn, you helped me about say, 4 pages back? Lol Thank you for the website, I managed to save about $50! Thank you! :D
Here's my build's link on the site! Again, thanks! Made a few of my own tweeks, and I'm gonna add this nice blue LED fan and a light to make it look SEXY! http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fDUu
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Looks good enough to me, although I don't consider CoolMax as a good power supply company.
90 Human Mage
Hi - love your threads. Thanks. I've always wondered how much overclocking actually helps with games like WoW, GW2, etc... Is it necessary? I'm contemplating a motherboard - not going to SLI because I don't think WoW supports it?? - and not sure it's worth worrying about overclocking. Hopefully you haven't already addressed this in a previous thread so apologies if you have! I read most and didn't seem to see it. If it's not already obvious, I don't play any other games but mmorpg. Thanks again.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
It helps a bit, but not drastically. It's not necessary.
Wait, which is a better Mobo/is compatible:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157313

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157326

Here are the other parts: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fDUu
Edited by Hirudegarn on 8/25/2012 5:53 PM PDT
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Either works. First one has more SATA III ports though.
90 Human Mage
Kal,

Prepping for GW2 (along with WoW MoP), what do you think of the ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 and one EVGA SuperClocked + 03G P4 3663 KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti 3GB 192 bit GDDR5. They have a combo through tomorrow pricing both together at $484.98 at Newegg. ;)

Thanks much.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Are you going to buy an OC-capable i5/i7 CPU? If not, (and you won't SLi / XFire), a Z77 board is not needed.

Unless you got to have GTX 660 Ti (or you don't want to OC ever), you are better off with OCing a HD 7870 or HD 7950.
90 Human Mage
Actually, I have an i3570k already and was thinking about the ASRock Extreme4 but the P8Z77 beats the price a bit through tomorrow, along with a slight combo break with the 660 Ti so I wondered if it was worth it, particularly the video card, or if I should just go with the HD cards?

Thanks again. :)
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Well, if you are willing to OC your graphics cards, an HD 7950 would be a better deal than a GTX 660 Ti for not much more.

Total for such a setup would be:
Extreme4 - $135
Custom cooling HD 7950 - $310 ~ 330

Total: $445 ~ $465

Still cheaper than that combo.
Edited by Kalganized on 8/25/2012 8:31 PM PDT
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Quick update:

Intel officially announced Ivy Bridge i3, Pentium, and Celeron models will release in the second week of September (Sept. 9th). In addition, they will release a new low-end i5 model, including a model where no GPU is included.
100 Troll Rogue
I've read through most of these threads, but I know so little about computers that it may as well be in a different language.
I'm thinking about getting a new laptop. It will be used mostly for WoW and a little bit of internet browsing/ checking email. I'm looking for something in the $500-$650 range. I don't need to be able to play on ultra or have 100 fps, but I do need it to be better than what I have now (my current runs on low at ~7fps during raids - I bought it before I started playing).

Any thoughts on these?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246494
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215417
100 Blood Elf Paladin
What do you plan to do with it in WoW, specifically? Questing / 5 mans? Raids? PvP?
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]