Comprehensive Gaming PC Guide Discussion - IV

90 Blood Elf Rogue
Hey thanks for the responses,

I meant to link the Acer with LED backlights, but your responses pretty much sums up everything I needed, probably going to go with the Acer and save 30dollars probably invest it in a nice chair instead of this metal chair I'm sitting on.
85 Undead Death Knight
Kalg how do you check what AMD drivers you have? And have there been any notable improves with drivers that came out in the last 6 months or so? I'm using a 6950 if you don't remember >.>

According to dxdiag I have 8.691.0.0 but I don't know whether that's 12.x or 12.y
Edited by Aeox on 9/3/2012 7:44 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Catalyst Control Center -> Software will tell you driver versions as well as the Catalyst package version.

There has been small improvements for 6xxx series, but driver development focuses around new products, so...
Edited by Kalganized on 9/3/2012 7:56 PM PDT
85 Undead Death Knight
I have 11.11 >.>

I think I probably should update...
87 Night Elf Death Knight
hey kalg, with the price drop on some of the AMD cpu's, mainly the phenom II X4 black editions, does this change the price/perf comparisons for any of the low/mid budget builds? i'm seeing the 965 black edition for 80-90 bucks, and the intel chips haven't budged in their price ranges to my knowledge, i only recently started checking though. i payed almost 200 for my 965 BE back last year, so the prices i see now are a pretty drastic drop...
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Nope, it doesn't change.
Current Phenom IIs perform about in-line, (or better, if OC'd) with $63 Pentium G620
Then there's Pentium G2120, which should perform close to Ivy i3.
Edited by Kalganized on 9/3/2012 11:09 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Update:

Intel feels like they should continue pressure AMD. They have officially announced price cuts to various Sandy Bridge products. They are not yet implemented by sellers, but should soon.

This will introduce a new extreme budget CPU option in the guide (once it hits):

Celeron G550 @ $42
Yes, it's a Celeron, but it's a dual-core, and isn't THAT far behind Pentium G620.

Pentium G870 @ $75 may replace G620 option, for you get more performance for $10.
Edited by Kalganized on 9/4/2012 11:52 AM PDT
85 Blood Elf Warlock
I'm getting a new computer in 2-3 months and I'm considering this build:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=27886728

I plan on upgrading to a SSD once I have the money, and I'm torn on if I should get the speakers or not since I plan on buying a new headset about the same time and I have a headset now.

Overall is this a good build to go with or not?
Edited by Raedris on 9/4/2012 3:53 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It's a good base build.

I would recommend the following:

There are cheaper B75 motherboards available. There's no real point to getting a Z75 board.

Radeon HD 7870s can be bought for not much more than the HD 7850, so I would buy the HD 7870 unless you absolutely cannot spare any more money.

You do not need extra case fans.
85 Blood Elf Warlock
I changed the build around with your suggestions, even with the better graphics card it's actually a fair bit cheaper.

Did I get it right, or are there any other tweaks you would recommend?

Thank you for taking the time to help btw.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
This looks good. :)
85 Blood Elf Warlock
Okay, thank you very much for all the help. I've been playing around on newegg a fair bit lately and it's nice to get some feedback.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I will note that GTX 660 will be revealed tomorrow. Depending on how well it does (rumors say it's very good), and its price, I may remove HD 7870 from the recommendation.

Since you have still months to go, you may change the build.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
So having spent much time hmming and hawing I think I've come to a decision on what I want to get to assemble my new computer.

Using your guide I think I've come up with a fairly good computer without breaking the bank. It's a little more than I had originally planned to spend, but I think the extra 200 dollars at the start should allow for me to use this computer for 4 years (hopefully) which seems more cost effective then something that needs upgrading in a couple years.

Anyway, I would be grateful to have someone do another quick lookover and make sure I haven't done anything not quite bright.

http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/gDsO
Edited by Ehlana on 9/6/2012 7:54 AM PDT
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Build looks good, but I'd wait a bit longer; depending on 660 Ti performance, HD 7870 may receive a price cut.

Also, a small update:

If you want to buy a laptop with HD 7970M... don't, unless if it's Alienware.
90 Tauren Druid
This is what im looking at right now, i do not want to over clock my computer but i wanna be able to play new games for awhile and not have to worry about upgrading again. would this work and what would you change i have about $1200
http://secure.newegg.com/Shopping/ShoppingCart.aspx?Submit=view
90 Blood Elf Paladin
We cannot see your private shopping cart. Either do a screenshot, or set it up on pcpartpicker.com, or do a public wish list with your parts in it.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Build looks good, but I'd wait a bit longer; depending on 660 Ti performance, HD 7870 may receive a price cut.

Also, a small update:

If you want to buy a laptop with HD 7970M... don't, unless if it's Alienware.

Heh, too late. Although I'm not too concerned about another price drop, if there's one thing I've learned while figuring out what I want is that the prices are always in flux, and I'm content that I got a good deal on the 7870.

So how come we're not supposed to buy laptops with 7970M cards?
90 Tauren Druid
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

PowerColor AX7850 2GBD5-2DH Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 600W Modular 80PLUS Bronze Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

MSI Z77MA-G45 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7

Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F120GBGT-BK 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

And im pretty sure i wont need the fan because im not over clocking but id like to make sure.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Ehlana, it's up on the original guide, but here is the quote:

WARNING: If you decide that you want an HD 79xxM, they currently suffer through major driver issues due to Enduro technology (similar to nVidia Optimus in design, but doesn't work). Because of this, HD 79xxM with Enduro technology (used in all laptops except in Alienware) currently perform -significantly less- than what they should be. This problem affects -all- AMD HD 7xxxM series that use Enduro technology, but most visible on high-end chips like HD 7950M / HD 7970M.

AMD supposedly has a driver that addresses this issue, but it wouldn't be released until at earliest, sometime in October, perhaps even later.

So, if you want to get an HD 79xxM-based laptop NOW, you MUST buy an Alienware (yes, I said it), OR you will have to suffer through sub-par performance until AMD gets their act together and releases the fixed drivers... OR, buy an older laptop with no support for Enduro included (such as P1xxHM for Clevo chassis, current is P1xxEM), then upgrade the graphics card in it to HD 79xxM.

If you were curious why I said "except in Alienware" or how you HAVE to buy an Alienware if you want an HD 79xxM now, is because:

Alienware has a BIOS switch that allows users to totally disable Enduro. No other current laptops have this. That is how they got around the Enduro problem.

---------------------------------------------------------

Heelerowl:

Build looks good, but if you aren't going to overclock, you can save $$$$ by going with the following changes:

i5-2500k to i5-3450
Z77MA board to a B75 board
No third party CPU fan.

I'd consider Corsair Neutron SSD lineup

600W is overkill for HD 7850 system; you can get away with a 500W system. Ensure 80 Plus Bronze certified.

I recommend this card over that PowerColor card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102999

You can also buy HD 7870 for not much more over HD 7850, and there's noticeable boost in performance with HD 7870 due to OC capacity of the card

I strongly recommend using pcpartpicker.com to find deals on the parts.
Edited by Kalganized on 9/6/2012 12:11 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]