How much does HPS matter?

90 Troll Druid
Get rid of your pvp gear, as mentioned, and try healing a normal DS with guildmates/friends. Will really allow you to test yourself as a healer but also in a more comfortable environment with people you know.

LFR is very easy to pad the meters at 35K+ HPS (lowest I have ever seen someone do was 3k HPS :D) and it's not really a good indication of healing at all. It's great for learning how to manage your mana when starting out as Mieme mentioned :P

As a holy pally in stacked phases (such as Zonozz and Ultrax) are you stacked behind everyone else? LoD is amazing on those fights :P And Ultrax all you need is the blue crystal and use HR, a lot.
Edited by Veroicone on 8/8/2012 3:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Myself: I see damage, I heal it- I don't try to pad the meters.

I had a case once in which I was actually lowest on the meter- the group was myself, 2 holy pallies, and 2 disc priests. Entirely too many absorbs (my normal average on the Slimes boss is over 12K).

As the poster above me said, hps depends on a lot of different things.

That's what I do. I have seen other healers being accused of padding meters or heal snipping but I've never been accused of it. I find it interesting that people would go to extreme lengths at the expense of mana and gimping themselves later to pad meters that most people don't pay attention to.

I usually do that if I'm healing LFR. Why? Because it's really boring if I don't. I cast as much as my mana pool and regen will allow me, with about 30% of my mana on reserve for emergencies.

Funny enough, I haven't been accused of sniping, but I've had to defend a few individuals who did very low hps when I was going very far out of my way to stack my mastery on everyone and get heals off before anyone else. If a healer is trying to be conservative and not heal more than needs to be healed, they're really not gonna heal much with me in the raid except on some fights.

7.5k is a little low if we're talking Zon'ozz, but it's not actually that low. The overall damage taken per second isn't very high when considering the number of healers, so if all six healers are putting out an effort, the conservative ones are going to be doing less than 10k hps. That fight doesn't really favor sniping, but it's likely that the top healers were just using their cooldowns at the best time and spamming their most effective heals during that period.

Also, don't be afraid of overhealing when nothing is happening. Holy Light will still put mastery on the tanks without really hurting your mana.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
08/07/2012 05:33 PMPosted by Swiifty
Not a QQ but today we ran some raids and the group was really good on a few bosses then someone posted a healing meter cause they could and I was 2nd to last with 7.6k HPS. Me and the other healer got ripped a new one. Everyone was telling us we were noobs etc. I said some people were heal snipping etc also I was cleasing debuffs like crazy not really using aoe. People were not standing in the fire much. So is HPS a good tool (In RF and normal not heroic) to use in raids to measure how good a healer is?

HPS Is a tool. But not an exceedingly useful one. It can help mildly when struggling, but other factors are usually more important.

If everyone is alive. Then HPS doesn't matter int he slightest other then to stroke the persons epeen.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
As people mentioned, HPS is not the end all metric, but it sure is good enough to generally show how well people are doing. No offense, but if people are dropping and you are doing 7.5k, you are doing it wrong. I dont know much about pally healing, but i do know that you should be beating out most other healers with little effort. You need to adjust your spell usage (i am sure there are forums) and get more proactive with your casts.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
08/08/2012 12:22 AMPosted by Talai
I would also add OP that you're 5 pieces of PvP gear are not helping your cause at all. None of them have secondary stats outside of resilience. Which means that unless you reforge out of spirit (which at your current spirit level you probably shouldn't as a Pally) you're losing out on a lot. Yes they may have a little more intellect, spirit and stam then the 378's but you really aren't gaining anything by having them in a raid setting. You're losing out on extra haste which would benefit you greatly as a Pally, or Mastery if you went with that build.

Spirit is a secondary stat.... so yes he is still gaining secondary stats just half as much since resillience covers one of them.
Reply Quote
86 Draenei Paladin
08/08/2012 03:09 PMPosted by Evry
But...what else am I going to browbeat people with when they steal my loots?

Just yell at them incoherently. :)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Healing performance in LFR is almost totally meaningless. It's a joke. Healing in LFR is mostly meter padding/sniping. It's god awfully easy to the point of boring. All there is to do, is snipe, and meter pad.
Do normal Madness and tell us your HPS good or bad.... and we can tell you what you're doing wrong compared to the other healer/s. 2 healing Madness with a solid raid group is a good challenge till the group is overgeared.
But quoting LFR numbers and talking back and forth about it is so trivial and with out any substance.
I don't wanna read the whole thread to figure out if you did 7.6khps in normal...or LFR but if it was in normal, many a raid leader would kick you. If it was in LFR and people weren't dieing, it just means you got sniped, and you weren't aggressive enough to look uber on recount.

Yes HPS on recount is a good tool. It can tell you if you're underperforming compared to others or not. You can tell the difference between the other healer/s padding the meter or if you are struggling.
Edited by Jagen on 8/9/2012 4:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
You can't heal snipe when no one is assigned any targets to heal.

Bull.
The term means to get a heal off on a target, before the other healer/s can do it. Period.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Bull.
The term means to get a heal off on a target, before the other healer/s can do it. Period.

"A bull is an intact (i.e., not castrated) adult male of the species Bos taurus (cattle)." - wikipedia

But you can't trust Wikipedia - you could be right.

RE: heal sniping - a) defense of butt-hurt/defensive healers when outhealed. b) maliciously reducing another healer's output by casting less efficient, faster heals ahead of theirs. (note: malicious to the extent of meter-whoring for silly competitive reasons, e.g., LFR).

It's not heal sniping if, when a random dps takes 30k damage, the holy priest starts casting greater heal and the disc priest casts Penance. Or say a Druid casts Rejuv and another healer hard casts a heal over it. Even if the 2nd healer casted later, it's not heal sniping so much as inefficient play on their part.

No one is going to get upset about http://i.imgur.com/29BjK.jpg
because 10N Yor required barely 20k hps, even if the meanie Disc priest stole it all with bubbles.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
08/09/2012 07:15 PMPosted by Saphi

Bull.

Oh yes, because you say "period" it must be fact.

There are no healing assignments in LFR. Besides that, most heals being done is AoE heals because of raidwide damage. Even if someone WERE to heal faster than someone else, all that would do is cause overhealing, not low HPS numbers.

Saying you have low HPS because of heal sniping is a bad excuse for not healing correctly.

Um...I never said it is, and Your little issue with the word " period" was taken out of context.
Learn to read.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin

It's not heal sniping if, when a random dps takes 30k damage, the holy priest starts casting greater heal and the disc priest casts Penance. Or say a Druid casts Rejuv and another healer hard casts a heal over it.

That's exactly what sniping is.
You wanted to heal him, went to cast something, but another healer got it first.
Your guys's semantics are frankly quiet boring.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

It's not heal sniping if, when a random dps takes 30k damage, the holy priest starts casting greater heal and the disc priest casts Penance. Or say a Druid casts Rejuv and another healer hard casts a heal over it.

That's exactly what sniping is.
You wanted to heal him, went to cast something, but another healer got it first.
Your guys's semantics are frankly quiet boring.

No that's lack of communication, lack of assigned healing targets and not paying attention - all common in LFR.

It would be different if I say, you were given the task of healing the tank and another healer kept casting instant heals/fast heals on the tank and not giving you a chance to heal.

Or like when the group is split such as on Zon and instead of healing the melee group you start also healing the ranged group to out-heal the ranged healer.

In LFR there are no healing assignments and people are pretty much stacked throughout the entire thing. Even if you put each healer in their own party and assigned them to heal only those in their party, AoE heals are going to overlap.

I don't know what you use but even the default raid frames show incoming heals. If I'm casting a hard large heal on someone it will show that incoming heal. If I see my target receive a heal or a good HoT I'll stop my cast and use something else unless they still need GHW. In LFR it's just not paying attention to this that causes people to think other's are stealing their heals while in reality people are just healing damage. More often then not people aren't paying attention to incoming heals and just heal over them instead of switching targets. All it really is is a waste of mana, not maliciously stealing heals to pad the meters in most cases.

Watching for incoming heals allows me to not over heal by too much and yet I still do really well healing it. It's funny beating people out who were obviously purposefully over healing - yeah they may have higher HPS but I actually did far more of the raid healing. People have even stood around healing themselves to pad the meters.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
08/09/2012 12:07 PMPosted by Saphi
Not a QQ but today we ran some raids and the group was really good on a few bosses then someone posted a healing meter cause they could and I was 2nd to last with 7.6k HPS. Me and the other healer got ripped a new one. Everyone was telling us we were noobs etc. I said some people were heal snipping etc also I was cleasing debuffs like crazy not really using aoe. People were not standing in the fire much. So is HPS a good tool (In RF and normal not heroic) to use in raids to measure how good a healer is?

I'm sorry, but these are just poor excuses for putting up low numbers. Every healer cleanses, and besides that, there isn't much to cleanse. You also can't heal snipe when no one is assigned any targets to heal.

A healer blaming cleanse for low HPS struck me the same as a DPS claiming they were interrupting/CCing and it is the reason for really low numbers. Both in my DPS spec on my Shammy and on my Mage I am able to do both and still pull reasonable to high numbers. On my Mage I also catch curses and steal buffs off of mobs and my Shammy purges. I love Mages who tell me they won't spell steal because it lowers their DPS too much when what they would be spell stealing is a massive DPS buff! I can say that I lose a little more DPS when I'm CCing just due to my attention being split because I am focusing on my CC staying put and watching for it to be broken, but the loss is minor.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Sparklefever that still doesn't mean hps matters though. You can overheal and get a high hps, so hps does not matter, healing matter. Just like your example of spine for dps, the dps doesn't matter, the tendon damage is what matters for dps mainly.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Sigh.

Your goal as a healer is to do the maximum amount of healing that you can throughout the encounter without letting players die or ooming yourself enough that you can't continuously heal throughout the encounter. In a nutshell it is "do as much HPS as you can while not going oom."

All you guys reassuring OP that "HPS doesn't matter" are just building another bad healer. I don't do 30% less healing on H Spine than our Resto Shammy and go "Oh, we downed it, doesn't matter that I didn't heal as much as him!" when my gear and spec dictate that I should be doing more on that fight.

Most people aren't saying it doesn't matter - we're saying it's not the end all be all of measuring how healers are doing. HPS will show problem areas and it will help to locate where the struggle is if it's not transparent.

But someone 'just not healing enough' is rarely the simple answer to problems in normal and heroic (though may very well be the answer in LFR). I've been with healers who spam their fast heals then complain the have mana issues while I'm struggling to keep people up - that's more then a healing enough issue that's not using spells correctly issue. We find this out a lot of time by looking at recount for heals and realize there's a big problem and start looking at spells used.

Most of us are saying it's not the final word on healing and there are reasons why someone would be low - but personally I think his healing was too low even for LFR.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
HPS can be a useful tool in specific situations.

As an indicator of LFR DS? Not so much. I'd be more interested in Activity Time or Overhealing as oppposed to Effective Healing, which doesn't always tell the full story.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]