RaF and Monks

Just throwing a side-note in here, but the people saying it's not fair because the ones with RAF are the ones with all the money and they're buying the achievement...

What stops you from using RAF as it is intended? Recruit-A-Friend. Bring a friend to Azeroth, hang out with them, show them what you've been enjoying so much and then maybe they have all the tools necessary to boost your monk to level 80 as well. No cost to you, and you get to hang out with a friend and have a boat-load of adventures. Something new to talk about. All your friends play WoW? You can make new ones. I promise you, it can be done. ;-)
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Death Knight
So with all that finally confirmed, will people be able to race change into Pandaren when the expansion launches? Or wait a month or so?
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
08/09/2012 01:10 PMPosted by Trogdoroth

By that logic no one should be able to use heirlooms, guilds or friends. It's just another rule to the race.

it's like this:

You're in a swimming race, for 10 dollars you can get a pair of flippers, or just go for it on your own. someone buys a pair of flippers and wins. Option was given to all.

Is it fair, ethical, and all that? Maybe, maybe not, but it's their race, thier rules. We just have to play by them.

The point is that it's not fair when one of Blizzards core values is play fair.

How is it fair for Jimmy (who is amazing at swimming btw) to barely be able to pay the entrance fee to the swimming race and now is told that they can buy flippers. Jimmy cant afford the flippers though, so he races and loses only because he couldn't afford it. How in any sense of the word is that fair. Fair, in this case, should only have to do with the achievement. The achievement is to level a class the fastest. Skipping over half that race in NO way plays into that achievement or the race.

Using your example, the organization that hosts/puts on the swimming race decided to change the rules. You're now allowed to use flippers if you so choose.

It's still fair, because you still have the option of using the flippers. You might not be able to afford them, but that's not the companies problem, it's Jimmy's problem. He needs to make the money in order to buy them flippers IF he wants to use them, that is.
Reply Quote
08/09/2012 01:31 PMPosted by Llashed
So with all that finally confirmed, will people be able to race change into Pandaren when the expansion launches? Or wait a month or so?

I don't see any reason you wouldn't be able to. My friend race-changed her druid to a worgen on day-one of Cata.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
08/09/2012 01:31 PMPosted by Ardaic
What stops you from using RAF as it is intended?
all my friends wither already play WoW or wont buy a subscription because they barely play any games... next question.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Trogdoroth, if you're so interested in a realm first achievement and you don't want to RAF a monk then level your shaman first. You still get to do it "on a level playing field" and your monk will only be one day behind.
Reply Quote
08/09/2012 01:34 PMPosted by Lirath
What stops you from using RAF as it is intended?
all my friends wither already play WoW or wont buy a subscription because they barely play any games... next question.

And the part about making new friends?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Death Knight
08/09/2012 01:34 PMPosted by Ardaic

I don't see any reason you wouldn't be able to. My friend race-changed her druid to a worgen on day-one of Cata.

Oh ok cool. I was just asking because I remember when BC launched and you had to wait a couple months before you could race change to them.

I wasn't around for the cata launch sadly so I wasnt sure. Thanks!
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman

The point is that it's not fair when one of Blizzards core values is play fair.

How is it fair for Jimmy (who is amazing at swimming btw) to barely be able to pay the entrance fee to the swimming race and now is told that they can buy flippers. Jimmy cant afford the flippers though, so he races and loses only because he couldn't afford it. How in any sense of the word is that fair. Fair, in this case, should only have to do with the achievement. The achievement is to level a class the fastest. Skipping over half that race in NO way plays into that achievement or the race.

Using your example, the organization that hosts/puts on the swimming race decided to change the rules. You're now allowed to use flippers if you so choose.

It's still fair, because you still have the option of using the flippers. You might not be able to afford them, but that's not the companies problem, it's Jimmy's problem. He needs to make the money in order to buy them flippers IF he wants to use them, that is.

Yes, that is technically true. But it isn't fair with the spirit of competition or the sport itself, meaning of pure skill over money during a competition (in this case it wouldn't be a sport but leveling competition instead.)

With that same logic one could argue for Blizzard to just sell heroic tier gear, after all everyone is able to purchase it, so it would be fair to all the people going for server first kills, right?
Reply Quote

Oh ok cool. I was just asking because I remember when BC launched and you had to wait a couple months before you could race change to them.

I wasn't around for the cata launch sadly so I wasnt sure. Thanks!

You betcha. :-)
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
pay to win.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
08/09/2012 01:35 PMPosted by Vêx
Trogdoroth, if you're so interested in a realm first achievement and you don't want to RAF a monk then level your shaman first. You still get to do it "on a level playing field" and your monk will only be one day behind.

I know, and it's honestly something I'm considering if I want to be apart of the race.

The problem comes from the fact that I'm rerolling monk for my guild and I feel that making them wait another day or two because of it is unfair to them.

The other point is that I don't even know if I'll have the time to compete for a server first monk, but this change still makes it unfair for those who would. Arguing against something unfair like this isn't a bad thing regardless of if it affects me.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
I'll try to look at this decision from several view points:

Hardcore Players
Well, competitive integrity is gone. Instead of 50+ people per server pushing for realm first monk there will be 2-3. There will be no sense of pride since you didn't beat a server full of hopefuls. Negative towards decision.

Casual players
Most don't really care. Some will even benefit if they recruit a friend (as in not themselves) and level some new monks with triple exp. Neutral-Positive towards decision.

ATVI Shareholders
The additional revenue from new accounts made just to instantly level up a monk will be pretty minor, especially compared to the number of ex-players that will be returning and resubscribing. On the other hand, no one is going to unsubscribe just because they don't have a chance at the feat of strength. If players were that committed they would pay for a 2nd account to get it. Neutral toward decision.

Social Responsibility
You hear in the news all too frequently about gamers dying from sitting at their computer, playing a game for 24+ hours straight without moving, eating or drinking. If there is "pressure" to be at the computer for a 70 hour race then you have to assume that someone out there would literally die trying to win. Positive towards decision.

--

I pushed for server first 80 when Cata came out, I didn't think I'd actually win it and was about 6 hours late when I dinged 85 but the process of it was fun. I'll miss out on that levelling a monk and that's disappointing but I think Blizzard is making the right call.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Rogue
Good to know this. But also means I wont make a monk upon launch. Sorry blizzard, but why? I see RaF as an interesting incentive to get new people to play normally, it gives a big bonus to veteran players. But for monks? Needing, 100% to RaF to get realm/world firsts is just a big pain.

Is it possibly because there's not a fluid way to program around this? If there was an easy way to exclude monks from RaF, would you do it? What's the thought process here is my question.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Yeah, Zarhym, thanks a lot. Giving others who happen to be able to afford to multibox or others with an abundant supply of friends to RAF to basically acquire a realm first achieve. Way to go on allowing people to literally buy their way into these achievements and not giving someone like me a fair chance.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
Will they still get realm first achievements?

Yes.

Not that it should concern me, as I won't be leveling a monk the first week of the new expansion; however, based on the feeback of someone in my guild who will be leveling a monk the night of release, and my own thoughts as well, I don't see how it is fair to let those Monk who leveled through the RaF system to be eligible for the realm first feat of strength.

There is no reason why RaF shouldn't work for Monks, I think that is a breath of fresh air for those who wanted to reroll at the start of the expansion to have that option available to them, especially if their time is limited.

However, the realm first feat of strength should be something you've earned, and certainly not something that should put those at a disadvantage that are willing to work hard for it. Death Knights who chose to level through the RaF system were not eligible for the server first feat of strength at the launch of Wrath of the Lich King.

This confirmation kind of makes it seem as though Blizzard is comfortable with people manipulating the RaF process for reasons other than what it was intended for.
Edited by Rune on 8/9/2012 1:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
So crying for a RF is all the fun u have? i dont care about the RF... but it seems that u dont even care about fun, u care about ep**n, and achievements o.0

If you don't actually care about the achievement why are you here in this thread? I care about this achievement and to have fun competing with people actually playing the game for it because its rare that a class is added that starts at level 1. Now it can be taken away from people who actually wanted to put in the effort and achieve it by people with deeper pockets and minimal effort. I might as well just level my warrior first instead because at least that is an even playing field.

Im on this thread because this thread is abour RaF not about RF, so it seems that the one who is in a wrong thread is you.
Edited by Golfire on 8/9/2012 1:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Oh yes, leveling 10 levels is SUCH a challenge.
/sigh

Good job quoting only the portion of my post you read. And I did say "SEMI".
Those of us who are pushing for the Realm First are already level 85. We have 5 levels to their 10.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
I'll try to look at this decision from several view points:

Hardcore Players
Well, competitive integrity is gone. Instead of 50+ people per server pushing for realm first monk there will be 2-3. There will be no sense of pride since you didn't beat a server full of hopefuls. Negative towards decision.

False. 100% false. I am a hardcore player, a lead a competitively ranked guild (US 12th 25man), and i play this game a ton. I also am all about the achievements and FoS (as you can see from my armory) I am all for this decision. This helps hardcore guilds, because in the broad spectrum of things, 15 dollars is next to nothing for a competitive advantage. People in top guilds pay more than that to continuously min/max their character via race-changing. This is absolutely something that a large chunk of the hardcore player-base can get behind, because the actual race is not in the leveling, but in the max-level content. Please do not assume that the people in mid-level guilds crying about this change represent the hardcore community, that is simply not the case.

So using your logic, and changing the hardcore sentiment, ALL parties benefit.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
08/09/2012 01:35 PMPosted by Ardaic
And the part about making new friends?
omitted because you are insane if you think its perfectly normal for someone to go out of their way to find a random person to play WoW with them (in a finite timeframe) in between work and school and any other obligations at all.

lemme just go to my local club buy a nice girl a drink and ask "hey, wanna play WoW with me? I need you to be on at least 6-10 hours a day for a week before september 25th." real smooth.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]